- PhD, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2000
Bingyun Li, PhD, Professor
Peer-Reviewed Journal Papers (h-index=33), Patents, and Book Chapters:
*Corresponding author. Papers have been cited for more than 4,000 times; average citation = 6.939 times/yr/paper for papers published as *corresponding author; average citation = 3.85 times/yr/paper for all papers published. As corresponding author, papers have been published on Materials Today (Impact Factor/IF=21.695; 2 papers), Chem Mater (IF=9.466; 2 papers), Advanced Science (IF=9.034), J Mater Chem A (IF=8.867; 2 papers), Biomaterials (IF=8.402), ACS Appl Mater Interfaces (IF=7.504; 2 papers), Appl Energy (IF=7.182; 3 papers), Acta Biomaterialia (IF=6.319), Chem Comm (IF=6.319), Nanomed (IF=5.72), Biomacromolecules (IF=5.246), Adv Healthcare Mater (IF=5.11), J Mater Chem B (IF=4.872), Antimicrob Agents Chemother (IF=4.302), Int J Nanomed (IF=4.3; 5 papers), etc.
- Kang J, Dietz M, Hughes K, Xing M, Li B*. (2019). Silver nanoparticles present high intracellular and extracellular killing against Staphylococcus aureus. J Antimicrob Chemother (IF=5.217). doi: 10.1093/jac/dkz053.
- Zhang S, Xing M, Li B*. (2019). Capsule integrated polypeptide multilayer films for effective pH-responsive multiple drug co-delivery. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces (IF=8.097) (In press).
- Zhang S, Xing M, Li B*. (2019). Recent advances in musculoskeletal local drug delivery. Acta Biomaterialia (IF=6.319) (In press).
Zhang S, Xing M, Li B*. (2018). Biomimetic layer-by-layer self-assembly of nanofilms, nanocoatings, and 3D scaffolds for tissue engineering. Int J Mol Sci (IF=3.687) 19:1641.
- Li B*, Webster TJ*. (2018). Bacteria antibiotic resistance: New challenges and opportunities for implant-associated orthopedic infections. J Orthop Res (IF=2.692). 36:22–32, 2018. DOI: 10.1002/jor.23656. [PDF].
- Liu B, Wang Y, Miao Y, Zhang X, Fan Z, Singh G, Zhang X, Xu K, Li B, Hu Z*, Xing M*. (2018). Hydrogen bonds autonomously powered gelatin methacrylate hydrogels with super-elasticity, self-heal and underwater selfadhesion for sutureless skin and stomach surgery and E-skin. Biomaterials (IF=8.402) 171:83-96. [PDF].
- Yan J, Liu X*, Li B, Yu J, Ding B*. (2018). Mixed ionic and electronic conductor for Li-metal anode protection. Adv Mater (IF=21.95). 30:1705105. DOI: 10.1002/adma.201705105.
- Li B*, Webster TJ*, editors (2018). Orthopedic Biomaterials (Volume 1) - Advances and Applications (20 chapters, 621 pages). Publisher: Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-73663-1, ISBN 978-3-319-73664-8 (eBook), https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-73664-8.
- Li B*, Webster TJ*, editors (2018). Orthopedic Biomaterials (Volume 2) - Progress in Biological Materials and Industry Perspectives (18 chapters). Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-89541-3, ISBN 978-3-319-89542-0 (eBook), https://10.1007/978-3-319-89542-0, https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319895413.
- Kang J, Hughes K, Xing M, Li B*. (2018). Orthopedic applications of silver and silver nanoparticles. In Book “Orthopaedic Biomaterials”. Ed. Li B and Webster TJ. Publisher: Springer, ISBN 978-3-319-73663-1, pages 63-84.
- Andreini DE, Werner ZJ, Bell CD, Xing M, Li B*. (2018). Peptides as orthopaedic biomaterials. In Book “Orthopaedic Biomaterials”. Ed. Li B and Webster TJ. Publisher: Springer, ISBN 978-3-319-73663-1, pages 247-274.
- Armstead AL, Simoes TA, Wang X, Brydson R, Brown A, Jiang BH, Rojanasakul Y, Li B*. (2017). Toxicity and oxidative stress response induced by nano- and micro-CoCrMo particles. J Mater Chem B (IF=4.543) 5:5648-57. DOI: 10.1039/C7TB01372H. [PDF].
- KX Xu, Y Liu, SB Bu, T Wu, Q chang, G Singh, X Cao, C Deng, B Li, G Luo, M Xing. (2017). Egg albumen as a fast and strong medical adhesive glue. Adv Healthcare Mater (IF=5.11) 6(19):1700132. DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201700132. [PDF].
- Cheng H, Yue K, Kazemzadeh-Narbat M, Liu Y, Khalilpour A, Li B, Zhang YS, Annabi N, Khademhosseini A*. (2017). Mussel-inspired multifunctional hydrogel coating for prevention of infections and enhanced osteogenesis. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces (IF=7.504) 9:11428-39. [PDF].
- Zhuang Q*, Clements B, Li B. (2017). Emerging new types of absorbents for post-combustion carbon capture, In Book “Recent Advances in Carbon Capture and Storage”, Ed. Yongseung Yun. ISBN 978-953-51-3006-2, Print ISBN 978-953-51-3005-5. Publisher: InTech, published March 08, 2017. DOI: 10.5772/62966. P.91-116. [PDF].
- Li B*, Wang X, Hopkinson D, Hoffman J, Egbebi A, Resnik K. Non-provisional patent application, May 2017.
- Wang Q, Yan J, Yang J, Li B*. (2016). Nanomaterials promise better bone repair. Materials Today (IF=21.695). 19(8):451-63. DOI: doi:10.1016/j.mattod.2015.12.003. [PDF].
- Armstead AL, Li B*. (2016). In vitro inflammatory effects of hard metal (WC-Co) nanoparticle exposure. Int J Nanomed (IF=4.3) 11:6195-206. [PDF]. [Supplementary Materials].
- Armstead AL, Li B*. (2016). Nano-toxicity: Emerging concerns regarding nanomaterial safety and occupational hard metal (WC-Co) nanoparticle exposure. Int J Nanomed (IF=4.3) 11:6421-33. [PDF].
- Wang X, Akhmedov NG, Hopkinson D, Hoffman J, Duan Y, Egbebi A, Resnik K, B Li*. (2016). Phase change amino acid salt separates into CO2-rich and CO2-lean phases upon interacting with CO2. Appl Energy(IF=7.182) 161:41-7. [PDF].
- Yan J, Liu X, Li B*. (2016). Capacity fade analysis of sulfur cathodes in lithium sulfur batteries. Advanced Science (IF=9.034) 3(12):1600101. doi:10.1002/advs.201600101. [PDF].
- Yan J, Li B, Liu X*. Open structures in substrates for high sulfur loading Li-S battery (Application # 748). Provisional patent application to USPTO, November 2016.
- Li B*, Wang X, Hopkinson D, Hoffman J, Egbebi A, Resnik K. Provisional patent disclosure, June 2016.
- Yan J, Li B, Liu X*. Multilayered sulfur composite cathodes for lithium sulfur batteries. US patent20160172667 A1. Date of application: June 16, 2016.
- Armstead AL, Minarchick VC, Porter DW, Nurkiewicz TR, Li B*. (2015). Acute inflammatory responses of nanoparticles in an intra-tracheal instillation rat model. PLOS ONE (IF=2.806) 10(3):e0118778. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0118778. PMID25738830, PMC4349695. [PDF].
- Wang X, Chen YC, Li B*. (2015). Aligning 3D nanofibrous networks from self-assembled phenylalanine nanofibers. RSC Advances (IF=3.108) 5:8022-7. PMID25621167, PMC4303580. [PDF].
- Liu LZ, Ding M, Zheng JZ, Zhu Y, Fenderson BA, Li B, Yu JJ, Jiang BH*. (2015). Tungsten carbide-cobalt nanoparticles induce reactive oxygen species, AKT, ERK, AP-1, NF-κB, VEGF, and angiogenesis. Biol Trace Elem Res (IF=2.399) 16:57-65. DOI: 10.1007/s12011-015-0331-6. [PDF].
- Huang H, Chen AY, Ye X, Li B, Rojanasakul Y, Rankin GO, Chen YC*. (2015). Myricetin inhibits proliferation of cisplatin-resistant cancer cells through a p53-dependent apoptotic pathway. Int J Oncol (IF=3.079) 47:1494-02. DOI: 10.3892/ijo.2015.3133. [PDF].
- Chen X, Jiang B, Hamza T, Li B. (2015). Nanoparticles targeting to osteoblasts for potential intracellular pathogen elimination. J Control Release (IF=7.786), 213:e10-1.
- Yan J, Li B, Liu X*. (2015). Nano-porous sulfur-polyaniline electrodes for lithium-sulfur batteries. Nano Energy (IF=12.343) 18:245-52. DOI: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2015.10.024. [PDF].
- Yan J, Liu X, Yao M, Wang X, Wafle T, Li B*. (2015). Long-life, high-efficiency lithium-sulfur battery from nano-assembled cathode. Chem Mater (IF=9.466) 27:5080-7. DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.5b01780. [PDF].
- Yan J, Liu X, Qi H, Li W, Zhou Y, Yao M, Li B*. (2015). High-performance lithium-sulfur batteries with a cost-effective carbon paper electrode and high sulfur-loading. Chem Mater (IF=9.466) 27:6394-401. DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.5b02533. [PDF].
- Yan J, Liu X, Wang X, Li B*. (2015). Long-life, high-efficiency lithium/sulfur batteries from sulfurized carbon nanotube cathodes. Journal of Materials Chemistry A (IF=8.867) 3:10127-33. [PDF].
- Yan J, Liu X, Li B*. (2015). Nano-assembled Na2FePO4F/carbon nanotube multi-layered cathodes for Na-ion batteries. Electrochemistry Communications (IF=4.396) 56:46-50. [PDF].
- Wang X, Akhmedov NG, Duan Y, Li B*. (2015). Nuclear Magnetic Resonance studies of CO2 absorption and desorption in aqueous sodium salt of alanine. Energy & Fuel (IF=3.091) 29:3780-4. [PDF].
- Duan Y*, Lekse J, Wang X, Li B, Alcántar-Vázquez B, Pfeiffer H, Halley JW. (2015). Electronic structural, phonon dynamic properties and CO2 capture capabilities of Na2-αMαZrO3 (M=Li, K, α=0.0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0): First-principles density functional theory investigations and experimental validations. Physical Review Applied (IF=4.808) 3:044013. [PDF].
- Wang X, Li B*. (2015). Phase-change solvents for CO2 capture. In Book “Novel Materials for Carbon Dioxide Mitigation Technology (ISBN 9780444632593).” Fan S and Morreale B, Eds. Elsevier. P.3-22. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-63259-3.00001-X or http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B978044463259300001X. [PDF].
- Armstead AL, Arena CB, Li B*. (2014). Exploring the potential role of tungsten carbide cobalt (WC-Co) nanoparticle internalization in observed toxicity toward lung epithelial cells in vitro. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology (IF=3.791) 278:1-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.taap.2014.04.008. PMID24746988, PMC4062194. [PDF]
- Hamza T, Li B*. (2014). Differential responses of osteoblasts and macrophages upon Staphylococcus aureus infection. BMC Microbiology (IF=2.644) 14:207. DOI: 10.1186/s12866-014-0207-5. PMID25059520, PMC4116603. [PDF]
- Yan J, Liu X, Li B*. (2014). Recent progress in Li-rich layered oxides as cathode materials for Li-ion batteries. RSC Advances (IF=3.108) 4(108):63268-84. DOI: 10.1039/C4RA12454E. [PDF]
- Duan Y*, Zhang K, Li X, King D, Li B, Zhao L, Xiao Y. (2014). ab initio thermodynamic study of the CO2 capture properties of M2CO3(M=Na, K)- and CaCO3-promoted MgO sorbents towards forming double salts. Aerosol and Air Quality Research (IF=2.606) 14:470-9. DOI: 10.4209/aaqr.2013.05.0178. [PDF]
- Duan Y*, Sorescu DC, Luebke D, Morreale B, Zhang K, Li XS, King D, Wang X, Li B, Chi J, Zhao L, Xiao Y. (2014). Mixed solid sorbents for CO2 capture technologies: Theoretical predictions and experimental validations. Proceedings of 2014 International Pittsburgh Coal Conference. Pittsburgh, PA, Oct.6‐9, 2014. [PDF]
- Wang X, Li B*. (2014). Electrospun nanofibrous sorbents and membranes for carbon dioxide capture. In Book “Electrospun Nanofibers for Energy and Environmental Applications (ISBN 978-3-642-54159-9).” Ding B and Yu J, Eds. Springer. P.249-63. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-54160-5_10. [PDF]
- Li B*, Jiang B, Gray ML, Fauth DJ, Pennline HW, Richards, GA. (2014). Layered solid sorbents for carbon dioxide capture. US Patent 8,658,561 B2 . Date of patent granted: Feb. 25, 2014. [PDF]
- Wang X, Ding B, Li B*. (2013). Biomimetic electrospun nanofibrous structures for tissue engineering. Materials Today (IF=21.695) 16(6):229-41. DOI: 10.1016/j.mattod.2013.06.005. Featured on Materials Today. PMID25125992, PMC4130655. [PDF]
- Li H, Hamza T, Tidwell JE, Clovis N, Li B*. (2013). Unique antimicrobial effects of platelet-rich plasma and its efficacy as a prophylaxis to prevent implant-associated spinal infection. Advanced Healthcare Materials(IF=5.11) 2:1277-84. DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201200465. PMID23447088, PMC3774283. [PDF]
- Hamza T, Dietz M, Pham D, Clovis N, Danley S, Li B*. (2013). Intra-cellular Staphylococcus aureus alone causes infection in vivo. Eur Cells Mater (eCM; IF=3.343) 25:341-50. Open Access. PMID23832687, PMC3830899. [PDF]
- Noore J, Noore A, Li B*. (2013). Cationic antimicrobial peptide LL-37 is effective against both extra- and intra-cellular Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother (IF=4.302) 57(3):1283-90. DOI: 10.1128/AAC.01650-12. PMID23274662, PMC3591932. [PDF]
- Luo H, Li B*, Li Z, Cutler SJ, Rankin GO, Chen Y*. (2013). Chaetoglobosin K inhibits tumor angiogenesis through downregulation of vascular epithelial growth factor-binding hypoxia-inducible factor 1α. Anti-Cancer Drugs (IF=2.32) 24:715-24. DOI: 10.1097/CAD.0b013e3283627a0b. PMID23695013, PMC3826813. [PDF]
- Li H, Li B*. (2013). PRP as a new approach to prevent infection: Preparation and in vitro antimicrobial properties of PRP. Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE) (IF=1.232) 74, e50351. DOI: 10.3791/50351. PMID23609458, PMC3653398. [PDF]
- Wang X, Akhmedov NG, Duan Y, Luebke D, Li B*. (2013). Immobilize amino acid ionic liquid into nanoporous microspheres as robust sorbents for CO2 capture. Journal of Materials Chemistry A (IF=8.867) 1(9):2978-82. DOI: 10.1039/C3TA00768E. [PDF]
- Wang X, Akhmedov NG, Duan Y, Luebke D, Hopkinson D, Li B*. (2013). Amino acid-functionalized ionic liquid solid sorbents for post-combustion carbon capture. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces (IF=7.504) 5(17):8670–7. DOI: 10.1021/am402306s. PMID23927685. [PDF]
- Jiang B, Wang X, Gray ML, Duan Y, Luebke D, Li B*. (2013). Development of amino acid and amino acid-complex based solid sorbents for CO2 capture. Appl Energy (IF=7.182) 109:112-8. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.03.070. [PDF]
- Duan Y*, Pfeiffer H, Li B, Romero-Ibarra IC, Sorescu DC, Luebke DR, Halley JW. (2013). CO2 capture properties of lithium silicates with different ratios of Li2O/SiO2: an ab initio thermodynamic and experimental approach. Phys Chem Chem Phys (IF=4.123) 15(32):13538-58. DOI: 10.1039/C3CP51659H. PMID23824271. [PDF]
- Li B*, Duan Y, Luebke D, Morreale B. (2013). Advances in CO2 capture technology: A patent review. Appl Energy (IF=7.182), 102:1439-47. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.09.009. [PDF]
- Boyce BM, Lindsey BA, Clovis NB, Smith ES, Hobbs GR, Hubbard DF, Emery SE, Barnett JB, Li B*. (2012). Additive effects of exogenous IL-12 supplementation and antibiotic treatment in infection prophylaxis. J Orthop Res (IF=2.692) 30(2):196-202. DOI: 10.1002/jor.21520). PMID21815205, PMC3699881. [PDF]
- Luo H, Jiang B, Li B*, Li Z, Jiang BH, Chen Y*. (2012). Kaempferol nanoparticles achieve strong and selective inhibition of ovarian cancer cell viability. Int J Nanomed (IF=4.3). 7:3951-9. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/IJN.S33670. PMID22866004, PMC3410694. [PDF]
- Duan Y*, Luebke DR, Pennline HW, Li B, Janik MJ, Halley JW. (2012). Ab initio thermodynamic study of the CO2 capture properties of potassium carbonate sesquihydrate, K2CO3·1.5H2O. J Phys Chem C(IF=4.536). 116(27):14461-70. DOI: 10.1021/jp303844t. [PDF]
- Wang X, Duan Y, Li B*. (2012). Development and evaluation of fibrous adsorbents for carbon dioxide removal. In Book “Atmosphere and Climate: Physics, Composition/Dynamics and Health Impacts (ISBN 978-1-62417-433-9).” Wright A and Johnson S, Eds. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. NY, USA. P.83-98. [PDF]
- Armstead AL, Li B*. (2011). Nanomedicine as an emerging approach against intracellular pathogens. Int J Nanomed (IF=4.3) 6:3281-93. PMID22228996, PMC3252676. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2147/IJN.S27285. [PDF]
- Li B*, McKeague AL. (2011). Emerging ideas: Interleukin-12 nanocoatings prevent open fracture-associated infections. Clin Orthop Relat Res (IF=3.897) 469(11):3262-5. DOI: 10.1007/s11999-010-1690-0. PMID21104353, PMC3183209. [PDF]
- Zhao Q, Li H, Li B*. (2011). Nanoencapsulating living biological cells using electrostatic layer-by-layer self-assembly: platelets as a model. J Mater Res (IF=1.673) 26(2):347-51. DOI: 10.1557/jmr.2010.23. PMID21359101, PMC3045201. [PDF]
- Li B*, Jiang B, Fauth DJ, Gray ML, Pennline HW, Richards GA. (2011). Innovative nano-layered solid sorbents for CO2 capture. Chem Comm (IF=6.319) 47:1719-21. DOI: 10.1039/C0CC03817B). PMID21127800. [PDF]
- Jiang B, Kish V, Fauth DJ, Gray ML, Pennline HW, Li B*. (2011). Performance of amine-multilayered solid sorbents for CO2 removal: Effect of fabrication variables. Int J Greenh Gas Con (IF=3.741) 5:1170-5. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2011.05.035). [PDF]
- Li H, Li B*. (2011). Platelet-rich plasma: its biological properties and applications. In Book “Advances in Condensed Matter and Materials Research, Volume 8 (ISBN 978-1-60876-159-3).” Geelvinck H and Reynst S, Eds. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. NY, USA. P.53-73. [PDF]
- Jiang B, DeFusco E, Li B*. (2010). Polypeptide multilayer film delivers charged drug molecules in sustained manners. Biomacromolecules (IF=5.246) 11:3630-7. PMID21058719, PMC3006044. [PDF]
- Li H, Ogle H, Jiang B, Hagar M, Li B*. (2010). Cefazolin embedded biodegradable polypeptide nanofilms promising for infection prevention: A preliminary study on cell responses. J Orthop Res (IF=2.692) 28:992-9. (Epub Feb. 2010. DOI: 10.1002/jor.21115). PMID20162715, PMC3699871. [PDF]
- Li B*, Jiang B, Dietz MJ, Smith ES, Clovis NB, Rao KMK. (2010). Evaluation of local MCP-1 and IL-12 nanocoatings for infection prevention in open fractures. J Orthop Res (IF=2.692) 28:48-54. (Epub, May 2009, http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/122505606/PDFSTART). PMID19588527, PMC3886371. [PDF]
- Hamza T, Barnett JB, Li B*. (2010). Interleukin 12 a key immunoregulatory cytokine in infection applications. Int J Mol Sci (IF=3.226) 11:789-806. PMID20479986, PMC2869233. [PDF]
- Li B*, Jiang B, Boyce BM, Lindsey BA. (2009). Multilayer polypeptide nanoscale coatings incorporating IL-12 for the prevention of biomedical device-associated infections. Biomaterials (IF=8.402) 30:2552-8. PMID19215980, PMC3699876. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2009.01.042. [PDF]
- Jiang B, Li B*. (2009). Tunable drug loading and release from polypeptide multilayer nanofilms. Int J Nanomed (IF=4.3) 4:37-53. PMID19421369, PMC2720742. http://www.dovepress.com/articles.php?article_id=2933 (free access). [PDF]
- Jiang B, Li B*. (2009). Polypeptide nanocoatings for preventing dental and orthopaedic device-associated infection: pH-induced antibiotic capture, release, and antibiotic efficacy. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater (IF=3.189) 88B(2):332-8. PMID18161817. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jbm.b.31021. [PDF]
- Jiang B, Barnett JB, Li B*. (2009). Advances in polyelectrolyte multilayer nanofilms as tunable drug delivery systems (invited mini review). Nanotechnology, Science and Applications 2:21-7. http://www.dovepress.com/articles.php?article_id=3421. [PDF]
- Li B*. (2009). Polypeptide multilayer films and microcapsules. In Book “Soft Nanomaterials (ISBN 1-58883-133-7).” Nalwa HS Ed. Vol. 2. American Scientific Publishers, Stevenson Ranch, CA. P.123-50. [PDF]
- Zhao Q, Li B*. (2008). pH-controlled drug loading and release from biodegradable microcapsules. Nanomed-Nanotechnol (IF=5.72) 4:302-10. PMID18657478, PMC3699869. [PDF]
- Likibi F, Jiang B, Li B*. (2008). Biomimetic nanocoating promotes osteoblast cell adhesion on biomedical implants. J Mater Res (IF=1.673) 23(12):3222-8. [PDF]
- Li B, Rozas J, Haynie DT*. (2006). Structural stability of polypeptide nanofilms under extreme conditions. Biotechnol Prog (IF=1.986) 22(1):111-7. PMID16454500. [PDF]
- Zhong Y, Li B, Haynie DT*. (2006). Fine tuning of physical properties of designed polypeptide multilayer films by control of pH. Biotechnol Prog (IF=1.986) 22(1):126-32. PMID16454502. [PDF]
- Zhong Y, Li B, Haynie DT*. (2006). Control of stability of polypeptide multilayer nanofilms by quantitative control of disulfide bond formation. Nanotechnology (IF=3.44) 17:5726-34. [PDF]
- Li B* (invited author), Haynie DT. (2006). Chiral drug separation. Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing, Sungyu Lee, ed. Vol. 1, Taylor & Francis, New York, 449-58. [PDF]
- Li B, Haynie DT*, Palath N, Janisch D. (2005). Nano-scale biomimetics: fabrication and optimization of stability of peptide-based thin films. J Nanosci Nanotechn (IF=1.483) 12(5):2042-9. PMID16430138. [PDF]
- Haynie DT*, Palath N, Liu Y, Li B, Pargaonkar N. (2005). Biomimetic nanostructured materials: inherent reversible stabilization of polypeptide microcapsules. Langmuir (IF=3.833) 21(3):1136-8. PMID15667201. [PDF]
- Zhang L, Li B, Zhi Z, Haynie DT*. (2005). Perturbation of nanoscale structure of polypeptide multilayer thin films. Langmuir (IF=3.833) 21(12):5439-45. PMID15924473. [PDF]
- Varma A*, Mukasyan A, Li B. (2005). Synthesis of orthopaedic implant materials. US Patent 6,896,846. (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6896846.html). [PDF]
- Li B, Haynie DT. (2004). Multilayer biomimetics: reversible covalent stabilization of a nanostructured biofilm. Biomacromolecules (IF=5.246) 5(5):1667-70. PMID15360273. [PDF]
- Li B, Mukasyan A, Varma A. (2003). Combustion synthesis of CoCrMo (F-75) implant alloy: microstructure and properties. Mater Res Innov 7(4):245-52. [PDF]
- Varma A, Li B, Mukasyan A. (2002). Novel synthesis of orthopaedic implant materials. Adv Eng Mater (IF=1.299) 4(7):482-7. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY, Gjunter VE. (2001). Electric resistance phenomena in porous Ni-Ti shape memory alloys produced by SHS. Scripta Materialia (IF=3.747) 44(5):823-7. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY, Gjunter VE. (2000). Synthesis of porous Ni-Ti SMA by SHS: reaction mechanism and anisotropy in pore structure. Acta Materialia (IF=5.301) 48(15):3895-904. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY, Gjunter VE. (2000). Fabrication of cellular NiTi intermetallic compounds. J Mater Res (IF=1.673) 15(1):10-3. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY, Gjunter VE. (2000). Recent development in producing porous Ni-Ti shape memory alloys. Intermetallics (IF=3.14) 8(8):881-4. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY, Gjunter VE. (2000). An investigation of the synthesis of Ti-50at%Ni alloys through combustion synthesis and conventional powder sintering. Metall Mater Trans A (IF=1.874) 31(7):1867-71. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY, Gjunter VE. (2000). Porous Ni-Ti shape memory alloys produced by two different methods. Z Metallkd 91(4):291-5. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY, Gjunter VE. (2000). Development of biomedical porous Ti-Ni shape memory alloys. Chinese J Mater Res (Chinese edition) 14(6):561-7. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY. (2000). Stress-strain behavior of Ni-Ti intermetallics synthesized from powder sintering. Intermetallics (IF=3.14) 8(5-6):643-6. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY. (2000). The influence of addition of TiH2 in elemental powder sintering porous Ni-Ti alloys. Mater Sci Eng A-Struct (IF=3.094) A281:169-75. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Luo XH, Li YY. (1999). Transformation behavior of sintered porous NiTi alloys. Metall Mater Trans A (IF=1.874) 30:2753-6. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY, Gjunter VE. (1999). Deformation behavior of porous NiTi shape memory alloy and effect of thermal-mechanical cycling on shape memory property. Acta Metall Sin (IF=0.584) (Chinese edition) 35(4):362-4. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY. (1999). Microstructure and superelasticity of porous NiTi alloy. Sci China Ser E 42(1);94-9 (in English). [PDF file] Sci China Ser E 29(1):11-5 (in Chinese). [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY. (1998). Porous NiTi alloy prepared from elemental powder sintering. J Mater Res (IF=1.6739) 10(13):2847-51. [PDF]
- Li B, Rong LJ, Li YY. (1998). Anisotropy of dimensional change and its corresponding improvement by addition of TiH2 during elemental powder sintering of porous NiTi alloy. Mater Sci Eng A-Struct (IF=3.094) A255:70-4. [PDF]
All files are for personal use only.
- Dr. Li’s trainee, Austin Paul-Orecchio, was selected to present his summer research at the 15th Undergraduate Research Day at the Capitol, Charleston, WV, Feb. 16, 2018.
- Dr. Li’s trainee, Shichao Zhang, was awarded a Travel Grant of $500 from the Office of Research and Graduate Education, School of Medicine, West Virginia University. April 2018.
- News: Dr. Li publishes new book on orthopedic biomaterials.
- Dr. Li serves as the Topic Chair of the Infection and Inflammation, Orthopaedic Research Society Program Committee (2017-2018).
- Dr. Li was invited to co-chair the NIH Study Section (teleconference) - BST-M (55): Bioengineering Research Partnerships (U01), April 4, 2017.
- Dr. Li’s trainee, Jason Kang (master student), received the First Place Poster Prize in the master graduate category at the Van Liere Research Day, Morgantown, WV, March 2017.
- Dr. Li was awarded a Travel Grant, WVU, March 2017.
- Congratulations to Jianhua Yan, PhD (PhD student)! Jianhua accepted an offer from Donghua University in China as a full professor, February 2017.
- Dr. Li’s trainee, Elijah Roberts, was selected to present a poster at the Undergraduate Research Day at the Capitol, Charleston, WV, Feb. 24, 2017.
- Dr. Li was invited to serve as the Chair of the Infection and Inflammation Topic Committee in the Orthopaedic Research Society. November 15, 2016.
- Dr. Li and his colleagues (Brock Lindsey, MD and Matthew Dietz, MD) are featured as outstanding collaborators in the Department of Orthopaedics in the August issue of the Office of Research and Graduate Education of the WVU Health Sciences Center. August 2016.
- Dr. Li was nominated for the Dean’s Awards for Excellence in research, WVU, July 2016.
- Dr. Li was selected as a CTSI Scholar Mentor of a WV CTSI Research Scholar, July 2016-June 2017.
- Dr. Li was invited by the Chair of the Scientific Program to chair the “Anti-infective biomaterials and device related infections” session at the 10th World Biomaterials Congress (WBC2016), Montreal, Canada, May 18, 2016.
- Dr. Li was nominated for the Vice President’s Outstanding Achievement in Research and Scholarly Activities Award at Health Sciences Center, WVU.
- Dr. Li received the International Travel Award from WVU to attend the 10th World Biomaterials Congress, Montreal, Canada, March 2016.
- On behalf of Dr. Xingbo Liu, lead of the Electrochemical Systems Research Center, Dr. Li was named, among six researchers (Cheryl Ball, digital publishing; Dan Carder, diesel emissions research; Sally Hodder, clinical and translational sciences; Bingyun Li, electrochemical systems research; Maura McLaughlin, neutron stars and NANOGrav; Sean McWilliams, LIGO and gravitational waves) as Outstanding Researchers at President E. Gordon Gee’s special State of the University address in celebrating the University's highest designation of Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, March 1, 2016.
- Dr. Li’s collaborative work with Xingbo Liu and Trina Wafle was picked as one of the Crowd Choice Awards for Audience Favorites in Pitch Session 3 at the 2015 TransTech Energy (TTE) Business Development Conference, Morgantown, WV, November 2015.
- Dr. Li’s PhD student (engineering), Jianhua Yan, was awarded the National Merit Scholarship from the Office of Educational Affairs of the Embassy of PR China in USA, November 2015.
- Dr. Li’s PhD student, Jianhua Yan, was awarded a Doctoral Student Travel Award from the School of Engineering, WVU for the Electrochemical Society (ECS) 228th meeting, Oct. 10-15, 2015, Phoenix, AZ.
- One of Dr. Li’s trained residents, Andrew Hanselman, MD, was awarded a Resident Research Grant from Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF), June 2015.
- Dr. Li’s PhD student, Jianhua Yan, was awarded a Travel Grant from the national Electrochemical Society (ECS) for the ECS 227th meeting, May 24-28, Chicago, IL.
- Dr. Li’s PhD student, Jianhua Yan, was awarded a Doctoral Student Travel Award from School of Engineering, WVU, March 2015.
- Dr. Li was included in the 70th Platinum Anniversary Edition of Marquis Who's Who in America.
- Dr. Li was invited by the program chair to serve as a moderator of a Spotlight Session titled “Knee OA Repair.” ORS Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, March 28-31, 2015.Our paper titled “Advances in CO2 capture technology” received the “Applied Energy Highly Cited Award” with a certificate, March 2015. The award was selected by the Editor-in-Chief and the Publisher as one (represents only 1.75% of papers in the journal during 2012–2013) of the most highly-cited papers published in the Applied Energy journal in 2012–2013.
- Elias Joseph (MD student) received the Second Place MD Poster Prize at the Van Liere Research Day, Morgantown, WV, February 2015.
- Congratulations to Xianfeng Wang, PhD (postdoc)! Xianfeng accepted an offer from Donghua University in China as a full professor, December 2014.
- Congratulations to Andrea Armstead (PhD student)! Andrea accepted a job offer as an application scientist from a biotech company at Boston, December 2014.
- Congratulations to Andrea Armstead! Andrea successfully defended her PhD dissertation titled "Understanding the Mechanism of Hard Metal (WC-Co) Toxicity: In vitro Studies and In vivo Exploration," October 2014.
- Welcome Qifei Wang, visiting MD/PhD graduate student (11/2014-11/2015), the first affiliated hospital of Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China.
- Welcome Fengfeng Wu, MD, visiting orthopaedic physician (10/2014-12/2014), Huzhou Central Hospital, Zhejiang, China.
- Congratulations to Andrea Armstead! Andrea was awarded Graduate Student Outstanding Achievement Award, School of Pharmacy, West Virginia University, April 2014.
- Dr. Li receives Orthopaedic Research Society award and will visit Harvard-MIT for collaborative exchange: On the heels of receiving the Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association-Pfizer Best Scientific Paper Award, Dr. Li has been awarded a Collaborative Exchange Award from the Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS), which awards two applicants from the orthopaedic research community worldwide each year since 2010. Read more
- For the second time in three years, Dr. Li has been recognized internationally for his research in orthopaedic infection. Dr. Li received the Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association (APOA)-Pfizer Best Scientific Paper Award for one of his group's papers “Intra-cellular Staphylococcus aureus alone causes infection in vivo,” which was published in the journal of “European Cells and Materials”. The award was presented at the 2013 Combined Conference of the Fifth APOA Infection Section Scientific Meeting, Ninth Asia Pacific Spine Society Congress and Ninth APOA Paediatric Section Congress. More than 650 orthopaedic surgeons and residents, including more than 12 orthopaedic surgeons and scientists from the United States, attended the conference. The APOA-Pfizer Best Scientific Paper Award is announced every two years and is the only award given out at the APOA Combined Conference. APOA was established in 1962 and currently has 19 member chapters and more than 1,800 orthopaedic members from more than 40 countries. In 2011, Dr. Li was awarded the Berton Rahn Research Fund Prize from the AO Foundation. Read more
- Dr. Li was invited to lecture as a faculty at an international orthopaedic conference: Dr. Li gave three invited presentations at the 2013 Combined Conference of the Fifth Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association (APOA) Infection Section Scientific Meeting, Ninth Asia Pacific Spine Society Congress and Ninth APOA Paediatric Section Congress, August, Kuching, Malaysia. Dr. Li has been invited to give lectures at similar clinics-focused international orthopaedic conferences several times since 2010.
- Our paper titled "Biomimetic electrospun nanofibrous structures for tissue engineering" has been published and featured on Materials Today, August 2013.
- Andrea Armstead (PhD student) was awarded a Pre-Doctoral Fellowship in the Pharmaceutical Sciences in a national competition from the American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education (AFPE) for a second year, May 2013. Read more
- Dr. Li was the Invited Speaker at the 2013 Student Night of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)-Pittsburgh Section, Feb. 12, 2013.
- Andrea Armstead received the Second Place 2009 PhD Student Poster Prize at the Van Liere Research Day, Morgantown, WV, February 2013.
- Peter Farjo (MD student) received the First Place MD Poster Prize at the Van Liere Research Day, Morgantown, WV, February 2013.
- Congratulations to Therwa Hamza (PhD student)! Therwa accepted a postdoc position from University of Maryland, December 2014.
- Congratulations to Therwa Hamza! Therwa successfully defended her PhD dissertation titled "Infection Models of Intracellular Staphylococcus aureus and The Impact of Interleukin 12 on Macrophage Killing Activity," December 2014.
- Andrea Armstead was awarded First Place “Most Outstanding Research Presentation” at the 4th Annual American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) Pittsburgh Chapters Student Research Symposium, November 2012. Read more
- Congratulations to Bingbing Jiang, PhD (postdoc)! Bingbing accepted an offer from Hubei University in China as a full professor, June 2012.
- Andrea Armstead, a 3rd year PhD student, was awarded a Pre-Doctoral Fellowship in the Pharmaceutical Sciences in a national competition from the American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education (AFPE), May 2012. Read more
- Dr. Li was an Invited Speaker at the International Forum of Biomedical Materials: Nanobiomaterials for Tissue Regeneration, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, May 2012.
- Student Award: Christopher Arena (MD student) received the First Place MD Poster Prize at the Van Liere Research Day, Morgantown, WV, March 2012.
- Dr. Li's research team received the Second Place Award in the WVU Health Sciences Research Photo Contest in 2012. Read more
- Student Award: Christopher Arena (MD student) received the First Place MD Poster Prize at the Van Liere Research Day, Morgantown, WV, March 2012.
- Student Award: John Amoroso (MD student) received the Second Place MD Poster Prize at the Van Liere Research Day, Morgantown, WV, March 2012.
- Dr. Li received international recognitions of his dedication and achievements in research. Dr. Li has been awarded the Berton Rahn Prize from the AO Foundation for his study of interleukin-12 local delivery for infection prevention after a traumatic open fracture. This prize, which honors the best completed project funded by the AO Foundation, includes a monetary award and an invited presentation at the AO trustees meeting in Berlin in July 2011. The AO foundational is one of the best international orthopaedic foundations and is a medically guided international nonprofit foundation funding work on trauma and musculoskeletal surgery. This event is featured at WVU Research Highlights.
- Andrea Armstead (PhD student) awarded a 2nd WVNano Graduate Fellowship, August 2011.
- Dr. Li gave an invited presentation at the Osteosynthesis and Trauma Care (OTC) Foundation’s Leadership Forum, June 2011, Madrid, Spain. The OTC Foundation promotes innovation and advancement in Osteosynthesis, Traumatology and Patient Care.
- Student Award: Danh Pham (MD student) received the Second Place MD Poster Prize at the Van Liere Research Day, Morgantown, WV, April 2011.
- (Dr. Li) Invited Editorial Board Member: Journal of Bioengineering & Biomedical Science, Recent Patents on Nanotechnology, and World Journal of Orthopaedics (2010-)
- Andrea Armstead (PhD student) awarded a WVNano Graduate Fellowship, August 2010.
- (Dr. Li) Invited participant, AOTrauma Clinical Priority Program on Bone Infection Meeting, Boston, MA, July 2010
- Therwa Hamza (PhD student) was awarded Student Travel Award from the COST865 2010 Training School to attend the Early Stage Researcher Training Program on Bioencapsulation. Dijon, France, June 29 - July 2, 2010.
- Student Award: Steven Regal (MD student) received the First Place MD Poster Prize at the Van Liere Research Day, Morgantown, WV, April 2010.
- Andrea Armstead (PhD student): WVNano Graduate Research Fellowship ($27,000/year; 08/2010 – 08/2012).
- Adly Noore (Pre-Med student): NASA EPSCoR Undergraduate Research Fellowship. 5/16/2010 – 5/15/2011.
- Adly Noore (Pre-Med student): WVNano SURE Fellowship, 6/1/2010 – 7/29/2010.
- Dr. Li's Graduate Students Go Global: Summer Research Tour in China.
- Student Award: Therwa Hamza (PhD student) received the Best Graduate Student Poster Prize at the WVNano Research Symposium, Morgantown, WV, May 2009.
- Stephanie Knittle (undergraduate): WVNano SURE Fellowship, 6/8/2009 – 7/31/2009.
- Steven Regal (MD student): Van Liere Research Fellowship, 6/08/2009-7/31/2009.
- Our research was highlighted in the following news: WVU Team Develops Innovative Anti-Infection Technology.
Breaking News: http://blog.taragana.com/n/novel-anti-infection-technology-to-help-soldiers-wounded-during-wars-99699
Nanotechnology Now: http://www.nanotech-now.com/news.cgi?story_id=33462
Team Develops Anti-Infection Technology: http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/553866
Novel anti-infection technology to help soldiers wounded during wars
Infection Control Today: http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/hotnews/anti-infection-technology.html
Medical News Today: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/157171.php
Life the Universe: http://universeeverything.blogspot.com/2009/07/team-develops-anti-infection-technology.html
- Elizabeth DeFusco (undergraduate): NASA EPSCoR Undergraduate Research Fellowship. 5/16/2008 – 5/15/2009.
- Stephanie Knittle (undergraduate): WVNano SURE Fellowship, 6/2/2008 – 7/25/2008.
- Elizabeth DeFusco (undergraduate): WVNano SURE Fellowship, 6/2/2008 – 7/25/2008.
- Invited Speaker & Panelist @ Nanomedicine event: http://www.nvtc.org/events/geteventinfo.php?event=COOLT-3.
- Heather Ogle (undergraduate): NASA EPSCoR Undergraduate Research Fellowship. 5/16/2007 – 5/15/2008.
- Michael Hagar (MD student): Van Liere Research Fellowship, 6/08/2007-7/31/2007.
- Brian Kellermeyer (MD student): Van Liere Research Fellowship, 6/08/2007-7/31/2007.
- Elizabeth DeFusco (undergraduate): WVNano SURE Fellowship, 6/2/2007 – 7/25/2007.
- Our research was highlighted in the following news: NETL Joins Forces with Medical School to Develop CO2 Sorbents.
DoE featured article: http://www.netl.doe.gov/publications/press/2007/070308-Sorbents.html
DoE Pulse: http://www.ornl.gov/info/news/pulse/pulse_v230_07.htm
Medical Daily: http://www.medicaldaily.net/mobile.asp?XDate=3/9/2007
Nanotechnology Now: http://www.nanotech-now.com/news.cgi?story_id=21058
- Rajiv Bhattarai (undergraduate): Spurlock/McClung Research Fellowship. 5/30/2006 – 8/4/2006.
- Most-Cited Articles: Li, et al. Biotechnol. Prog. 2006
Positions Available/Open Positions:
- Postdoc and graduate positions are occasionally available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability. Joined graduate trainings and self-funded visiting students and other scholars are welcome.
- Dr. Li has mentored 101 trainees including research residents, PhD students, master's student, MD students, undergraduates, high school student, postdoctoral research associates, and visiting scholars.
- Advanced Materials: Nanostructured peptide, unique nanofiber and nanoflowers, phase-change materials, nano-layered sorbent
- Infection: Intra-cellular infection, immunotherapeutic approaches against infection, antimicrobial peptide, and antimicrobial hydrogel
- NanoMedicine and NanoToxicity: Nanocoating/capsule, nanoencapsulating live cell, targeting intra-cellular pathogens, nanotoxicity of metal and polymer nanoparticle
- Animal Models and in vivo Studies: Open fracture rat model, spine infection rabbit model, bioluminescent infection model, and intra-tracheal instillation rat model
- Clinical Studies: Chronic and recurrent infection
Postdoc and graduate positions are occasionally available, please email email@example.com for availability. Joined graduate trainings and self-funded visiting students and other scholars are welcome.