- MBBS, Dr Sampurnanand Medical College, Jodhpur, India
About Rajeev Sharma
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.), Dr S.N. Medical College, Jodhpur, India, 2000
Residency and Fellowships:
- Fellowship in Pediatric Abdominal Transplant Surgery, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2013
- Fellowship in Abdominal Transplant Surgery (Kidney, Pancreas and Liver), McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 2012 (Accredited by American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS))
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Solid Organ Transplant, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, 2009
- Diplomate of National Board (D.N.B.) in General Surgery, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, India, 2007 (General Surgery Board Certification in India)
- Master of Surgery (M.S.) in General Surgery, Sawai Man Singh Medical College and Hospitals, Jaipur, India, 2003 (General Surgery Residency)
Chief of Transplant Surgery, WVU School of Medicine
Surgical Director of Kidney Transplant Program, WVU Hospitals
I am a transplant surgeon with over a decade of attending experience in various transplant programs in US. I completed a General Surgery Residency from Sawai Man Singh Medical College and attached Hospitals in Jaipur, India in 2003 with Board Certification from National Board of Medical Examiners in New Delhi, India leading to dual degrees – Master of Surgery (M.S.) in General Surgery, and Diplomate of National Board (D.N.B.) in General Surgery. I also completed a Surgical Oncology Senior Residency from All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi, India (2007). I also completed a 2-yr postdoctoral research fellowship in solid organ transplant from University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester, NY in 2009. I then completed an American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) approved Abdominal Transplant Surgery Fellowship from Northwestern University in Chicago, IL (2012) with certification in Liver, Kidney, and Pancreas transplantation and another 1-year Pediatric Abdominal Transplant Surgery Fellowship from Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pittsburgh, PA (2013). I am a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Diplomate of Transplant Accreditation and Certification Council and have maintained UNOS credentials and currency to be the Primary Liver, Kidney, and Pancreas transplant and Laparoscopic Donor Nephrectomy surgeon in US.
My prior leadership experience includes running the Wayne Health / DMC - Harper University Hospital Transplant Program in Detroit, MI as Primary Kidney Transplant Surgeon and Program Director. I was also the Director for Transplant Research Operations for Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, MI and the Director of Kidney and Pancreas transplant programs and Primary Kidney and Primary Pancreas Transplant surgeon at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA. I also served as the Primary Lap Donor Nephrectomy Surgeon at Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo, NY. I have served on Medical Advisory Boards of Gift of Life Donor Program in Philadelphia, PA and Gift of Life Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.
My Volunteer Service activities include committee assignments on Membership Committee of International Pediatric Transplant Association (2013 - 2017), Region 9 representative for UNOS Minority Affairs Committee (2016), Member of American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) Diversity Issues Committee (2014 - 2017) and Member of ASTS Business Practice Services Committee since 2019.
My care philosophy centers around complete involvement of patients in their care. I like to provide an honest and unbiased risk/ benefit assessment and once the patient agrees for care, I strive to provide the best possible care based on best practices in my field with an aim to achieve the best possible outcomes. I treat my patients just as I would like to be treated if I was a patient myself.
- Immune surveillance for BK Virus Nephropathy in Kidney Transplant Recipients.
- Novel diagnostics and therapeutics for Antibody Mediated Rejection in Kidney Transplant.
- Novel therapeutics for Delayed Graft Function in Kidney Transplant.
Patient Care Information
- General Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
Residency, General Surgery
Sawai Man Singh Medical College, Jaipur, India
Fellowship, Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Solid Organ Transplant
University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
Fellowship, Clinical Fellow (training position), Transplantation Surgery
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Fellowship, Fellowship (ASTS accredited), Transplantation Surgery
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
Fellowship, Fellowship, Pediatric Transplantation Surgery
Childrens's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA