About Briana Sowers
I grew up in the small town of Hastings, PA, and went to the Univ of Pittsburgh for undergrad (H2P). A former pharmacy tech and scribe before starting medical school in Indianapolis. I married my best friend and have two energetic Australian cattle dogs.
- DO, Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, 2022
- BS, University of Pittsburgh, 2014
About Briana Sowers
I grew up in the tiny town of Hastings, PA, and went to Pitt for undergrad (H2P). I was a pharmacy technician and scribe before starting medical school in Indianapolis. I’m married to my best friend and have two energetic Australian Cattle Dogs.
What attracted you to WVU Surgery Residency?
- I rotated here as a medical student and loved the experience. The residents were knowledgeable, fun to work with, and they felt like my people. The attendings were also great teachers, I could tell the senior residents were confident in their skills and decision making
What makes our program unique?
- It’s an academic center in a smaller town that covers a large geographic area- you’re going to see everything here. The fresh tissue training program is also a unique experience that will prepare you for the less common procedures of the real world.
What do you like about living in Morgantown?
- It has the perfect amount of distractions (restaurants, breweries, nature) and is close to my family and friends.
- American College of Surgeons – resident membership
- Americas Hernia Society - medical student membership
- Society of Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgeons - medical student membership
- Association of Women Surgeons – medical student membership
- Ackney C, Banaschak C, Sowers B, Szotek P, July 2021. Minimizing Retained Foreign Body in Hernia Repair Using a Novel Technique: Reinforced Biologic Augmented Repair (ReBAR). JClin Med Res, vol 3 (4) 1-11. DOI: https://doi.org/10.37191/Mapsci-2582-4333-3(4)-073
- Sowers B, Banaschak C, Szotek P. Outcomes using the Reinforced Biologic Augmented Repair (ReBAR) Technique in RoboticTransabdominal Preperitoneal Ventral Hernia Repair. Poster presented at: Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine Research Day. 2021 Nov 19; Indianapolis IN.
- Banaschak C, Szotek P, Sowers B, Nov 2021. P133 Robotic Assisted Reinforced Biologic Augmented Repair (ReBAR) in Inguinal Hernia: Two-Year Outcomes. British Journal of Surgery, vol 108(8). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/bjs/znab395.126
- Snowboarding, refinishing furniture, DIY projects, true crime podcasts