- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Microbiology, Immunology & Cell Biology
- West Virginia University WVU Cancer Institute
- WVU Cancer Institute Research Programs
- Liu TW, Gammon ST, Yang P, Fuentes D, Piwnica-Worms D. HOCl is a Paracrine Effector Linking Myeloid Cells to NF-κB Signaling in melanoma by Trans-inhibition of IKK. Science Signaling. 2021. 14 (677)
- Liu TW, Gammon ST, Piwnica-Worms D. Multi-dimensional intravital microscopy of signaling dynamics in real-time during tumor-immune interactions. Cells. 2021. 10(3). 499.
- Liu TW, Gammon ST, Fuentes D, Piwnica-Worms D. Multi-dimensional intravital macro-imaging of signaling dynamics in real-time during tumor-immune interactions. Cells. 2021. 10 (3), 489.
- Rao, Y, Gammon ST, Zacharias NM, Liu TW, Salzillo T, Xi Y, Wang J, Bhattacharya P, Piwnica-Worms D. Hyperpolarized [1-13C]Pyruvate-to-[1-13C]Lactate Conversion is Rate Limited by Monocarboxylate Transporter-1 in the Plasma Membrane. PNAS. 2020; 2020 117 (36): 22378-22389.
- Gammon ST, Liu TW, Piwnica-Worms D. Interrogating Cellular Communication in Cancer with Genetically Encoded Imaging Reporters. Radiology: Imaging Cancer. 2020; 2 (4), e190053
- Orteca G, Pisaneschi F, Rubagotti S, Liu TW, Biagiotti G, Piwnica-Worms D, Iori M, Capponi PC, Ferrari E, Asti M. Development of a potential gallium-68 labelled radiotracer based on DOTA-curcumin for colon-rectal carcinoma: from synthesis to in vivo studies. Molecules. 2019; 24(3):644, PMCID: PMC6384893.
- Liu TW, Akens MK, Chen J, Wilson BC, Zheng G. Matrix metalloproteinase-based photodynamic molecular beacons for targeted destruction of bone metastases in vivo. Photochem & Photobiol Sci. 2016; 15(3):375-381
- Liu TW, Chen J, Burgess L, Wilson BC, Zheng G, Zhang L, Liu WK, Ha Bae-Yuen. Activation Kinetics of Zipper Molecular Beacons. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2015;119(1):44-53
- MacDonald TD, Liu TW, Zheng G. An MRI-Sensitive, Non-Photobeleachable Porphysome Photothermal Agent. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2014;126(27):7076-79.
- Moriyama EH, Cao W, Liu TW, Wang HL, Kim PD, Chen J, Zheng G, Wilson BC, "Optical glucose analogs of aminolevulinic Acid for fluorescence-guided tumor resection and photodynamic therapy", Molecular Imaging and Biology, 2014; 16(4): 495-503.
- Liu TW, Huynh E, MacDonald TD, Zheng G. Porphyrins for Imaging, Photodynamic Therapy a d Photothermal Therapy. In: Cancer Theranostics. Ed(s): Chen X, Wong S. Academmic Press. 2014; 229-254.
- Liu TW†, Stewart JM†, MacDonald TD, Chen J, Clarke B, Shi J, Wilson BC, Neel BG, Zheng G. Biologically-Targeted Detection of Primary and Micro-Metastatic Ovarian Cancer. Theranostics. 2013; 3(6):420-427.
- Liu TW†, MacDonald TD†, Jin CS, Gold JM, Bristow RG, Wilson BC, Zheng G. Inherently Multimodal Nanoparticle-Driven Tracking and Real-Time Delineation of Orthotopic Prostate Tumors and Micrometastases. ACS Nano. 2013;7(5):4221-32.
- Liu TW†, Macdonald TD†, Shi J, Wilson BC, Zheng G. Intrinsically copper-64-labeled organic nanoparticles as radiotracers. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2012;51:13128-31.
- Shi J†, Liu TW†, Chen J, Green D, Jaffray D, Wilson BC, et al. Transforming a Targeted Porphyrin Theranostic Agent into a PET Imaging Probe for Cancer. Theranostics. 2011;1:363-70.
- Liu TW, Chen J, Burgess L, Cao W, Shi J, Wilson BC, et al. Multimodal bacteriochlorophyll theranostic agent. Theranostics. 2011;1:354-62.
- Liu TW, Akens MK, Chen J, Wise-Milestone L, Wilson BC, Zheng G. Imaging of specific activation of photodynamic molecular beacons in breast cancer vertebral metastases. Bioconjug Chem. 2011;22:1021-30.
- Liu TW, Chen J, Zheng G. Peptide-based molecular beacons for cancer imaging and therapy. Amino acids. 2011;41:1123-34.
- Lovell JF, Liu TW, Chen J, Zheng G. Activatable photosensitizers for imaging and therapy. Chem Rev. 2010;110:2839-57.
- Chen J†, Liu TW†, Lo PC, Wilson BC, Zheng G. "Zipper" molecular beacons: a generalized strategy to optimize the performance of activatable protease probes. Bioconjug Chem. 2009;20:1836-42
(†authors contributed equally to the work)
With the paradoxical dual role that the immune microenvironment plays during cancer progression, it is essential to understand the specific mechanisms controlled by immune cell infiltrates during tumor development and the complex interaction networks between immune and tumor cells to improve mechanistic insight, enhance disease detection and improve therapeutic response. Our research focuses on strategies to understand interaction networks between tumor and immune cells.