- MD, West Virginia University School of Medicine, 1986
- MPH, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Infectious Diseases & Microbiology, 1991
- MPA, Virginia Commonwealth University, Wilder School of Government & Public Affairs, 2003
- MBA, University of Iowa, Tippie College of Business, 2019
Google scholar citation metrics: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=8U1BkNUAAAAJ&hl=en
- Bearman G, Abbas S, Masroor N, Sanogo K, Vanhoozer G, Cooper K, Doll M, Stevens M, Edmond MB. Impact of discontinuing contact precautions for MRSA and VRE: An interrupted time series analysis. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2018;39:676-682.
- Belucci TR, Marra AR, Edmond MB, Pinho JRR, Yokota PKO, Mafra ACCN, dos Santos OFP. Evaluation of Influenza A H1N1 infection and antiviral utilization in a tertiary care hospital. BMC Infectious Diseases 2018;18:579.
- Puig-Asensio M, Douglas M, Holley S, Kukla MB, Abosi O, Mascardo L, Carmody B, Gent C, Diekema D, Hartley P, Edmond MB, Salinas JL. Letter: Impact of expanded influenza post-exposure prophylaxis on health care worker absenteeism at a tertiary care center during the 2017–2018 season. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2019;40:260-261.
- Marra AR, Puig-Asensio M, Edmond MB, Schweizer ML, Bender D. Infectious complications of laparoscopic and robotic hysterectomy: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer 2019;29:518-530.
- Marra AR, Puig-Asensio M, Edmond MB, Schweizer ML, Nepple KG. Infectious complications of laparoscopic and robotic prostatectomy: A systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Journal of Endourology 2019;33:179-188.
- Edmond MB. Mandatory flu vaccine for healthcare workers: Not worthwhile. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, 2019; https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofy214.
- Godbout EJ, Masroor N, Doll M, Edmond MB, Bearman G, Stevens MP. Bare below the elbows in an academic medical center. American Journal of Infection Control 2019;47:1030-1.
- Verbeek JHm Rajamaki B, Ijaz S, Tikka C, Ruotsalainen JH, Makela E, Neuvonen K, Edmond MB, Sauni R, Balci FSK, Mihalache RC. Personal protective equipment for preventing highly infectious diseases due to exposure to contaminated body fluids in healthcare staff. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2019 Jul 1;7:CD011621.
- Marra AR, Algwizani A, Brennan TMH, Edmond MB. Descriptive epidemiology of safety events at an academic medical center. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2020;17.
- Tartari E, Saris K, Kenters N, Marimuthu K, Widmer A, Collignon P, Cheng VCC, Won SC, Gottlieb T, Tambyah P, Perencevich E, Daramowski A, Edmond MB, Voss A. Not sick enough to worry? “Flu-like” symptoms and work-related behavior among healthcare workers and other professionals worldwide. PLoS One 2020; DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0232168.
- Hess O, Srivastava M, PryorR, Patrick A, Cooper K, Godbout E, Anderson K, Doll M, Stevens M, Hemphill R, Edmond M, Wenzel R, Bearman G. The learning hospital: From theory to practice in a hospital infection prevention program. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2020;41:86-97.
- Perencevich EN, Diekema DJ, Edmond MB. Moving personal protective equipment into the community: Face shields and containment of COVID-19. JAMA 2020;323:2252-3.
- Salinas JL, Kritzman JA, Ince D, Diekema DJ, Edmond MB. A primer on data visualization in infection prevention and antimicrobial stewardship. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2020;41:948-57.
- Haessler S, Martin EM, Scales ME, Kang L, Doll M, Stevens M, Uslan DZ, Pryor R, Edmond MB, Bearman G. Stopping the routine use of contact precautions for management of MRSA and VRE at three academic medical centers: An interrupted time series analysis. American Journal of Infection Control 2020;48:1466-73.
- Marra AR, Abosi O, Alzunitan M, Edmond MB, Street N, Cromwell JW, Salinas JL. Modest Clostridioides difficile infection prediction using machine learning models in a tertiary care hospital. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, 2020;98:115104.
- Alsuhaibani MA, Alzunitan MA, Dains AM, Holley SA, Kukla ME, Abosi OJ, Meacham HM, Jenn KE, Diekema DJ, Edmond MB, Salinas JL. Administrative Coding Methods Impact Surgical Site Infection Rates. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2020;41:1461-3.
- Kobayashi T, Jenn K, Bowdler N, Malloy R, Holley S, Izakovic T, Kukla MB, Abosi O, Dains A, Meacham H, Diekema D, Edmond M, Salinas J. Reduction in abdominal hysterectomy surgical site infection rates after the addition of anaerobic antimicrobial prophylaxis. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2020;41:1469-71
- Kobayashi T, Meacham H, Alsuhaibani M, Holley S, Edmond MB, Diekema D, Hartley P, Salinas JL. Occupational tuberculosis exposures and conversion rates can guide de-implementation of annual tuberculosis screening. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2021;42:123-4.
- Kobayashi T, Clore GS, Kukla ME, Alzunitan M, Kritzman J, Abosi O, Puig-Asensio M, Marra A, Hanna B, Diekema D, Edmond MB, Salinas JL. Central line insertion site inflammation is associated with central line-associated bloodstream infections. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2021; online ahead of print.
- Marra AR, Diekema DJ, Edmond MB. Successful termination of an outbreak of Mycobacterium chimaera infections associated with contaminated heater-cooler units. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2021; online ahead of print.
- Sreeramoju PV, Palmore TN, Lee GM, Edmond MB, Patterson JE, Sepkowitz KA, Goldmann DA, Henderson DK, Kaye KS. Institutional quality and safety programs: An overview for the hospital epidemiologist. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2021; 42:6-17.
- Alzunitan MA, Perencevich EN, Edmond MB. Assessing health care worker perceptions of face coverings during the COVID-19 pandemic. American Journal of Infection Control 2021; online ahead of print.
- Alzunitan MA, Edmond MB, Alsuhaibani MA, Samuelson RJ, Schweizer ML, Marra AR. Positive deviance in infection control and prevention: A systematic literature review, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2021; online ahead of print.
- Abosi O, Kobayashi T, Holley S, Kukla MB, Dains A, Izakovic T, Jenn KE, Meacham H, Rogers GH, Garringer J, Millard B, Diekema DJ, Edmond MB, Salinas JL. Impact of ultraviolet light on the quality of manual cleaning and room turnover times at a tertiary care center, 2019. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2021;42:107-8l.
- Kobayashi T, Trannel A, Holley S, Alsuhaibani M, Abosi OJ, Jenn KE, Meacham H, Sheller L, Etienne W, Dains A, Casado F, Kukla ME, Ford B, Edmond MB, Wellington M, Diekema DJ, Salinas JL. COVID-19 serial testing among hospitalized patients in a Midwest tertiary medical center, July-September 2020. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2021 (online ahead of print).
- America's Top Doctors, 2010-2020
- U. of Iowa Carver College of Medicine Wall of Scholarship Award (2 published papers with >1,000 citations), 2019
- West Virginia School of Medicine Outstanding Alumnus Award, 2016
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Improving Our Workplace Award, University of Iowa, 2019
Blog: Controversies in Hospital Infection Prevention, co-writer since inception, March 2009.
Selected postings re-posted on KevinMD, The Health Care Blog, ACP Internist
Facebook: Hospital.Infections https://www.facebook.com/Hospital.Infections
Twitter: @mike_edmond http://twitter.com/mike_edmond
About Michael Edmond
Michael B. Edmond, MD, MPH, MPA, MBA is the Chief Medical Officer of WVU Medicine, President and Chief Medical Officer of University Health Associates (the faculty practice plan at West Virginia University), and Vice Dean for Clinical Affairs at the WVU School of Medicine. Prior to coming to WVU, he was the Chief Quality Officer and Associate Chief Medical Officer for University of Iowa Health Care and Clinical Professor of Infectious Diseases at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine. He also previously served as the Richard P. Wenzel Professor of Internal Medicine, Chair of the Division of Infectious Diseases, and Hospital Epidemiologist at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond.
He is a graduate of the West Virginia University School of Medicine (MD), the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health (MPH), the Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs at Virginia Commonwealth University (MPA), and the University of Iowa Tippie College of Business (MBA). He was a resident and chief resident in Internal Medicine at West Virginia University Hospitals. He then completed a fellowship in Infectious Diseases at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and a fellowship in Hospital Epidemiology at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
Dr. Edmond’s scholarly focus has been on the epidemiology of healthcare-associated infections and the public policy implications of infection prevention. He has published 450 papers, abstracts and book chapters. Dr. Edmond has been named to Richmond Magazine’s Top Doctors, America’s Top Doctors, US News and World Report’s Top Doctors, awarded Our Health Richmond Magazine’s Best Bedside Manner Award, and Health Leaders Magazine’s 20 People Who Make Healthcare Better.
Patient Care Information
- Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Diseases, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Fellowship, Hospital and Clinical Epidemiology
University of Iowa, 1994
Fellowship, Infectious Diseases
University of Pittsburgh, 1992
Residency, Internship and Residency, Internal Medicine
West Virginia University, 1989