- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Human Performance - Athletic Training
- BS, University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, WI, 2010
- MS, Florida International University, Miami, FL, 2012
- PhD, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2018
- Muffly BT, Zacharias AJ, Jochimsen KN, Duncan ST, Jacobs CA, Clohisy JC. Age at the time of surgery is not predictive of early patient-reported outcomes after periacetabular osteotomy. J Arthroplasty. 2021 Oct;36(10):3388-3391. PMID: 34120795
- Jochimsen KN, Noehren B, Mattacola CG, Di Stasi S, Duncan ST, Jacobs C. Preoperative psychosocial factors and short-term pain and functional recovery after hip arthroscopy for femoroacetabular impingement syndrome. J Athl Train. 2021 Oct 1;56(10):1064-1071. PMID: 34662421
- Zacharias AJ, Lemaster NG, Hawk GS, Duncan ST, Thompson KL, Jochimsen KN, Stone AV, Jacobs CA. Psychological healthcare burden lessens after hip arthroscopy for those with comorbid depression or anxiety. Arthrosc Sports Med Rehabil. 2021 Aug;3(4):e1171-e1175. PMID: 34430898
- Conley CEW, Mattacola CG, Jochimsen KN, Dressler EV, Lattermann C, Howard JS. A comparison of neuromuscular electrical stimulation parameters for postoperative quadriceps strength in patients after knee surgery: A systematic review. Sports Health. 2021 Mar;13(2):116-127. PMID: 33428557
- Jochimsen KN, Mattacola CG, Noehren B, Picha KJ, Duncan ST, Jacobs CA. Low self-efficacy and high kinesiophobia are associated with worse function in patients with femoroacetabular impingement syndrome. J Sport Rehabil. 2020 Oct 7;30(3):445-451. PMID: 33027764
- Jochimsen KN, Pelton MR, Mattacola CG, Huston LJ, Reinke EK, Spindler KP, Lattermann C, Jacobs CA. Relationship between pain catastrophizing and 6-month outcomes following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. J Sport Rehabil. 2020 Aug 1;29(6):808-812. PMID: 31628272
- Jacobs CA, Hawk GS, Jochimsen KN, Conley CE, Vranceanu AM, Thompson KL, Duncan ST. Depression and anxiety are associated with increased health care costs and opioid use for patients with femoroacetabular impingement undergoing hip arthroscopy: Analysis of a claims database. Arthroscopy. 2020 Mar;36(3):745-750. PMID: 31924382
- Jochimsen KN, Jacobs CA, Duncan ST. Femoroacetabular impingement is more common in military veterans with end-stage hip osteoarthritis than civilian patients: a retrospective case control study. Mil Med Res. 2019 Aug 23;6(1):27. PMID: 31439033
- Jochimsen K, Magnuson J, Kocan K, Mattacola C, Noehren B, Duncan S, Jacobs C. Anxiety and depression are associated with lower preoperative quality of life and function but not duration of symptoms in patients with femoroacetabular impingement syndrome. Journal of Hip Preservation Surgery. 2019; 6(3):207-213.
- Jochimsen K, Malempati C, Jacobs C, Duncan S. Return to sport following arthroscopic treatment of acetabular labral tears in competitive athletes: a systematic review. Athletic Training and Sports Health Care. 2019; 11(1):37-43.
My research agenda has two primary lines of inquiry: 1) Advancing psychologically informed rehabilitation and 2) investigating movement-based interventions to improve clinical outcomes for patients with chronic hip pain.
Grants and Research
Current Grants and Contracts
- West Virginia Clinical and Translational Science Institute, National Institute of General Medical Sciences of the NIH (5U54GM104942-05)
- "The relationship between fear and movement in individuals with chronic hip pain." This project is investigating the relationship between kinesiophobia (fear of movement/re-injury) and physical activity in individuals with chronic hip pain.
- West Virginia University Research and Scholarship Advancement Grant
- "A strength and neuromuscular training intervention to improve walking biomechanics." This project is examining the effect of a 12-session strength and neuromuscular training program on clinical outcomes including walking gait biomechanics, hip strength, and pain in patients with hip-related groin pain. Measures of psychosocial health are also being collected to preliminarily explore the relationships between movement patterns and psychosocial factors.
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine (MARC-ACSM) Early-Stage Investigator Award
- "Real-time biofeedback for optimizing hip mechanics (RE-OPT): A pilot study." This project is examining the immediate effects of gait retraining with real-time biofeedback on walking and step-down mechanics in individuals with hip-related groin pain.