About Faryal Afridi
Dr. Afraid was born in Pakistan, she earned her MBBS from Khyber Medical College. She moved to England to complete her MRCS and PhD degrees, before joining her husband in the USA, also a physician. She is enjoying the move personally and professionally.
- MBBS, Khyber Medical College, 2005
- PhD, Sunderland University, England UK, 2019
- MS, Cardiff University UK, 2015
- MRCP, Royal College of Surgeons, England UK, 2010
- Primary repair of long gap esophageal atresia in a neonate employing circular myotomy on upper pouch and a novel hemicircular myotomy on the distal pouch. Journal of Pediatric Surgery Case Reports (2019). 44.Faryal G Afridi, Nicholas Shorter, Richard Vaughan, Susan Neptune, Shailinder Singh. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsc.2019.03.001
- A challenging surgical ‘surprise’ in an elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Cholecysto-colonic fistula as a rare complication of gallstone disease. Christopoulos Petros, Afridi Faryal, Sasi Walid. Surg Chron 2017; 22(2): 76-78.
- A case of a living-related kidney transplantation after ex-vivo repair of the donor renal artery aneurysm. Christopolous P, Faryal A, Dosani M, Rix D, Talbot D. Hippokratia (2016). 20 (1); 90-92. What operation for recurrent rectal prolapse after previous Delorme’s procedure? A practical reality. Javed MA, Afridi FG, Artioukh DY. World J Gastrointest Surg (2016). 8 (7); 508-12.
- Pancreas Alone Grafts from Cardiac Death Donors; is Procurement Damage an Issue? Afridi FG, Coates R, French JJ, White S, Talbot D. BJMMR (2015). 11 (10); 1-4.
- Retroperitoneal gallstone granuloma causing hydronephrosis and atrophy of the ipsilateral kidney; a unique complication of lost gallstones during Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy: A case report and Literature review. Afridi FG, French JJ. Gastroenterology Today (2015). 25 (3); 17-23.
- Role of diagnostic laparoscopy in patients with acute or chronic non-specific abdominal pain. A Rubbia, GA Faryal, I Javeria, M Roohul. WJOLS (2015). 8(1); 7-12.
- Patho-morphologic classes of gallstones, their frequency and etiological factors in Peshawar Pakistan. Rubbia Afridi, Faryal G Afridi, Zulfishan Batool. JRMI (2015). 1(1); 29-34.
- Lymphangitis Carcinomatosa. Faryal G Afridi, Krishnan Gokul, Dmitri Artioukh. BMJ (2011). 342: d1752.
- Laparoscopic repair of Ventral Hernia; an early experience at Khyber Teaching Hospital Peshawar. Roohul Muqim, Qutbe Alam, Muhammad Zarin, Faryal Gul, Jawad Ahmed, Javeria Iqbal, Aziz Wazir. Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology (2010). 1(1); 7-10.
- Comparison in terms of post-operative morbidity and hospital stay between Open Cholecystectomy and Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. Rooh-ul-Muqim, Faryal Gul Afridi, Javeria Iqbal, Jehangir Akbar, Zahoor Khan, M Zarin, Samiullah, Mohammad Aziz Wazir. WJOLS (2008). 1(3); 17-21.
- Causes of Obstructive Jaundice. JaveriaIqbal,ZahoorKhan,Faryal Gul Afridi,AbdulWahab, JamshedAlam, MohammadAlam,MohammadZarin,MohammadAzizWazir. PJS (2008). 24(1); 12-14.
- Doppler detected opening size and flow chart as predictors of early failure of arteriovenous fistula in haemodialysis patients. Mohammad Zarin, Fayaz Naeem, Nisar Anwar, Amir Azhar, Fazia Raza, Faryal Gul Afridi, Rafiullah. PJS (2007). 23 (3); 95-98.
- Oxidative Phosphorylation in renal ischemia/reperfusion injury may be manipulated with anesthetics. Alexandra Griffiths, Rita Howarth, Veronika Boczonadi, Agnes Krisan, Faryal Afridi, Jennifer Duff, Noel Carter, Neil Sheerin, Jun Han, Christoph Borchers, Isabel Diebold, David Talbot. Mitochondrion
- Can Post-Operative Opioid Analgesic Requirements In Living Donor Renal Transplant Recipients Be Reduced by Concomitant Administration of Transversus Abdominis Plane Block? Afridi FG, Wright S, French JJ, Talbot D, Singh R. BJMMR
- Anglechik prosthesis: an experience with a rare gastro-esophageal anti reflux device in bariatric Surgery. Afridi FG, Abunnaja S, Szoka N.
- Paget Schroetter’s Syndrome in Pregnancy: Unique Considerations and Management. Osman M, Afridi FG, Lala S. JVS
- Bilateral Breast Cancer: A unique case of synchronous breast disease. Afridi FG, Oristian C. Surgery Case Reports.
- Afridi F G, Vaughan R, Neptune S, Shorter N and Singh S. Successful primary repair of long-gap esophageal atresia in a neonate employing circular myotomy on upper pouch and hemi-circular myotomy of the distal esophageal pouch: A novel approach. J Pediatr Care (2018). DOI:10.21767/2471-805X-C2-008.
- Changes in Mitochondrial electron transport chain complex expression in ischaemia and reperfusion. Griffiths A, Boczonadi V, Horvath R, Afridi F, Talbot D. Transpl Int (2016). 29 (S2); 15.
- Outcomes of ABOi Renal Transplants: A single centre experience over a seven year period. Afridi F, Coates R, Brown A, Arunachalam C, Baines L, Sheerin N, Talbot D. Transpl Int (2015). 28 (S4); 3
- Implantation of kidneys following tumour excision for malignancy; complications and experience: a case series. Rachael Coates, Faryal Afridi, Muhammad Khurram, Carter Noel, Naeem Soomro, David Rix, David Talbot. Transpl Int (2015). 28 (S4); 43.
- Does Transversus Abdominis Plane Block Reduce Opioid Analgesic Requirements in the Post-Operative Period in Renal Transplant Recipients?. Afridi F, Coates R, Wright S, French J, Talbot D, Rita S. Am J Transplant. 2015; 15 (S3); .
- Procurement Damage of DCD Pancreas Alone Grafts is it a Problem? A Single Centre Experience. Coates R, Afridi F, White S, Manas D, Talbot D. BJS (2015). 102 (S1); 298.
- The use of Belatacept for Immunosuppression in a Young Adult Recipient Following Live Related Aboi Renal Transplant Post Calcineurin-Mediated Microangiopathic Haemolysis - A Successful New Approach. Afridi F, Reynolds B, Baines L, Brown A, Talbot D. BJS (2015). 102 (S1); 258.
- Paediatric Organ Donation Issues Following Donor Treatment With Extracorporeal Devices. Mownah O, Newby J, Coates R, Afridi F, Wilson C, Talbot D, Smith J. AJT (2014). 14(S3); 234.
- Recovery of Organs From Paediatric Donors With In Situ Mechanical Circulatory Support. Mownah O, Newby J, Coates R, Afridi F, Wilson C, Talbot D, Smith J. AJT (2014). 14(S3); 234.
- Resuscitation of Marginal Hearts Using Ex Vivo Perfusion. Dark J; Stamp S; Clark S; MacGowan G; Majo J; Talbot D; Afridi F; Mownah O; Khurram M; Ray C; Coates R; Brassil J; Rees D; Nair S; Carter N. AJT (2014). 14 (S3); 427.
- An Ex Vivo Perfusion System to Achieve Recovery of Hearts Sourced from Marginal Donors. Mownah O, Khurram M, Ray C, Coates R, Afridi F, Stamp S, Brassil J, Rees D, Majo J, Nair S, Clark S, MacGowan G, Dark J, Carter N, Talbot D. Transpl Int (2014). 27 (S1); 10.
- Recurrent rectal prolapse after failed Delorme’s procedure: what operation? Afridi FG, Artioukh DY. Colorectal Disease (2011).13 (S6); 53.
- Reuse of kidneys for transplants after partial nephrectomy for small renal tumors, The scope: A National Audit
- Second use renal transplants; testing the safety of immunosuppression on human renal tumor line in a nude mouse model. Supervisor: Prof David Talbot.
- Renal Ischaemia Reperfusion Injury; The Mitochondrial Perspective. Supervisor: Prof David Talbot.
- “Waste disposal management in the factories on Kohat Road and Jamrud Road”. Supervisor: Dr Sabina Aziz. Department Of Community Medicine, Khyber Medical College.
- Successful Primary Repair of Long-Gap Esophageal Atresia in a Neonate Employing a Hemi-circular Myotomy of The Distal Esophageal Pouch; A Novel Approach. Afridi FG, Vaughan R, Shorter N, Neptune S, Singh S. Pediatrics and Pediatric Surgery International, May 6-9, 2018. Frankfurt, Germany.
- Live-related kidney transplantation after ex-vivo repair of the donor renal artery aneurysm (RAA): a case report. Poster, British Transplantation Society Annual Meeting, 02/24-26/2016.
- Radical nephrectomies done for pT1a and pT1b renal tumors: a national audit of the hospitals involved and logistics of a synchronized National program promoting use of the kidneys for transplantation. Poster, British Transplantation Society Annual Meeting, 02/24-26/2016.
- National audit of nephrectomised kidneys for T1a/b tumors and assessment of their suitability for an altruistic transplant program. Poster, British Transplantation Society Annual Meeting, 02/24-26/2016.
- Changes in Mitochondrial electron transport chain complex expression in ischaemia and reperfusion. Poster, IMIRT, France, 04/21-22/2016.
- ABOi Live Donor Renal Transplants; learning from adverse events and outcomes from a single centre. Oral, European Society of Organ Transplantation. 09/13-16/2015.
- Implantation of Kidneys following Tumour Excision for Malignancy; Complications and Experience: A Case Series. Oral, European Society of Organ Transplantation. 09/13-16/2015.
- The use of Belatacept for immunosuppression in a young adult recipient following live related ABOi renal transplant complicated by calcineurin-mediated microangiopathic hemolysis-A successful new approach. Poster, Annual Meeting Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, 05/2014. Poster, Middle Eastern Society of Organ Transplantation Meeting, 09/2014.
- Rescue of ABOi transplants with antibody mediated rejection.A single centre experience. Poster, British Transplantation Society Annual Meeting 02/2014. Oral, Middle Eastern Society of Organ Transplantation Meeting 09/2014.
- Procurement damage of DCD Pancreas alone grafts, is it a problem? A single centre experience. Poster: Annual Meeting Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland 05/2014, Oral;Middle Eastern Society of Organ Transplantation Meeting, 09/2014.
- Does transversus abdominis plane block confer any benefit in analgesia in live related renal transplant recipients? A retrospective audit. Poster (British Transplantation Society Annual Meeting 02/14, American Transplant Congress, 05/2-6/15).
- Recurrent rectal prolapse after failed Delorme’s procedure: what operation? Poster, European Society of Colo-Proctology Annual Meeting 09/2011
- ABOi Renal Transplants: a Single Centre Experience. Poster, NorthEast Surgical Society Meeting UK, 05/2014.
- TAP Block Vs No TAP Block in Kidney Transplant patient. Oral, Northern Alliance Meeting UK. 04/2013.
- Case series for implantation of kidneys following tumor excision for malignancy; complications and experience to date. Poster, North East Surgical Society Meeting UK, 05/2014.
- Carcinoma Breast. Oral, Regional Trainee Meeting, Pakistan 05/2008.
- Renal Cell Carcinoma. Oral, Regional Trainee Meeting, Pakistan 02/2008
- 2006-7 CTKUB vs US for Renal Colic, Gen Surgery, Khyber Teaching Hosp
- 2009 Consent; are we doing it right? T&O, Ipswich Hospital UK
- 2010 VTE Prophylaxis, Colorectal Surgery, Southport DGH UK.2013Re(2015) Post splenectomy prophylaxis, Transplant Surgery, Freeman Hospital UK.
- 2012-13 TAP blocks, Transplant Surgery, Freeman Hospital UK.
- 2014-15 Fluid Balance Documentation, Gen Surgery, Spire Hospital UK
- 2014 Re (2015) Renal Transplant IS, Transplant Surgery, Freeman Hospital UK.
- 2014-15 Nephrectomy for pT1a & 1b renal tumors, Transplant Surgery Freeman Hospital
- Certificate of Academic Excellence Presentation Convent School
- Prime Minister Merit Scholarship
- FATA Merit Scholarship
- Top 10% statewide medical university entrance test
- Top 25% Final professional examination
- Recognition for Voluntary Membership Pakistan International Human Rights Organization
- Recognition for being member and assistant director of Social Welfare Society Khyber medical University
- Winner All State Essay writing competition
- General Medical Council UK
- Royal College of Surgeons UK
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI)
- Association of Surgeons in Training (ASiT)
- Women in Surgery (WinS)
- American Society of Breast Surgeons ASBrS
- Assistant Director Social Welfare Society SWS, Khyber Medical University
- Chief Editor of Cenna (Medical university magazine) and Chief Organiser Literary Events.
- Vice-President and then President of Debating Society.
- Sports Organiser Khyber Medical University
- Organizer Under-Graduate Teaching Program
- Netball (State and University Women Team Member), running, chess, reading, watching movies and newfound interest in cooking.