- MD, Cairo University School of Medicine, 1982
- MSc, Rush University Hospital, 2014
- Ghawi H, Gendi, S, Mallula K, Awad S. Fetal Left and Right Ventricle Myocardial Performance Index: Defining the Normal Values for Second and Third Trimesters - Single Tertiary Center Experience, in press Pediatric Cardiology.
- Gendi.SM, Kenny DP, Hibbeln J, Cao Q, Hijazi Z,Closure of Ascending Aorta Pseudoaneurysm to Right Atrium Fistula JCIN 2013, Vol. 6, No. 4.
- Paul Nicholas Severin • Sawsan Awad • Beth Shields • Joan Hoffman • William Bonney • Edmundo Cortez • Rani Ganesan • Aloka Patel •Steve Barnes • Sean Barnes • Shada Al-Anani • Umang Gupta • Yolandee Bell Cheddar.
- Ismael E. Gonzalez • Kiran Mallula • Hani Ghawi • Suhaib Kazmouz •Salwa Gendi • Ra-id Abdulla. REVIEW ARTICLE: The Pediatric Cardiology Pharmacopeia: 2013 Update Pediatr Cardiol, published online November 2012.
- S. M. Gendi, A. Karrar: One picture worth a 1000 words, case report. Accepted for online publication in Consultant website, 2008.
- M. Dilawar, M. Numan, A El-Sissi, S. M. Gendi, Z. Ahmad, “ Percutaneous Closure of Ventricular Septal Defect Associated with Tunnel Shaped Aneurysm Using the Amplatzer Duct Occluder”, Pediatr Cardiol (2008) 29:366-370.
- A. M. El-Sissi, S.Gendi, M. Dilawar, M. Numan, “ Helex Septal Occluder: Feasibility Study of Closure of Atrial Septal Defect.” Pediatr Cardio (2008) 29:84-89.
- M Numan, A El Sissi, M Tofeig, S. Gendi, T Tohami, H El Said, “Cribriform Amplatzer device of Fenestrated Atrial Septal Defects: Feasibility and Technical aspects” Pediatr Cardio (2008) 29: 530-535.
- AM. El Sissi, M Dilawar, S Gendi, M Numan “Helex Septal Ocluder: First experience of Closure of atrial Septal Defect in Qatar.” Journal of The Saoudi Heart Association (2007) 19:1: 36-40.
- A El Menyar, S M Gendi, M Numan “ Non Compaction cardiomyopathy in the state of Qatar” Saudi Medical Journal (2007); 28(3): 429-34.
- A El Menyar, B. Abdulbari, M. Numan, S M Gendi, R Taha, J Al Suwaidi Reply Medical principles and Practice,(2007) 12 (2):165.
- B. Ahmed, A El Sissi, S Gendi, M Numan, N Mohsen, N Saleh, Z Al Mansouri, M Stanojevic “ Accuracy of Fetal Echocardiography in High risk pregnancies” Revista de Obstetrica si Ginecologie (2007) #3.
- A. El Menyar, B. Abdulbari, M. Numan, S M Gendi, R Taha, J Al Suwaidi Epidemiology of Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy In Qatar during 1996-2003, Medical principles and Practice,(2006) 15(1):56-61.
- A. El Menyar, S M Gendi Persistent atrial standstill in Non Compaction Cardiomyopathy, Pediatric Cardiology, (2006) 27 (3): 364-6.
- A El Sissi, SM Gendi ”Live three Dimensional echocardiography in Congenital Heart Disease” Egyptian Heart Gassette (2005) 57(3):217-223.
- B.Ahmed, S. Gendi, A El Sissi. H El Said:”Fetal echocardiography, Qatar Experience, Challenges and outcome. Qatar medical journal (2006)15:31-33.
- A. El-menyar, A. Al-Hroob, M.T. Numan, S. M. Gendi, and I. M. Faway, Unilateral Pulmonary Edema: Unusual presentation of acute rheumatic fever, Pediatr Cardio,(2005) sept-oct 26 (5): 700-2.
- A Al Haroob, M T Numan, A El Sissi, S Gendi, Trans catheter closure of perimembranous and muscular ventricular septal defects in children with the amplatzer occluder: experience in Qatar, Heart Views, the official journal of the gulf heart association, vol4, n 2 June-August 2003.
- S.Helmy, A Khalifa, S M Gendi, MM Ibrahim”Racial differences in left ventricular Mass among hypertensive Egyptians: results from the national hypertension project (NHP).” The New Egyptian Journal of Medicine, vol 26 no 4 supplement April ,2002.
- S. Helmy, S Gendi,, A.Khalifa, S Saad Zagloul, MM Ibrahim et al:Echo-cardiographic findings in hypertensive Egyptians. Results from the national hypertension project (NHP). Egypt Heart Journal 52 (4): 459-468 December 2000.
- 1998: Doctorate degree (PhD) Thesis: Demographic, Biochemical and Hematological Parameters in Relation to Carotid and Left Ventricular Hypertrophy in Egyptian Hypertensive Patients, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University;
- 1988: Master degree Thesis: The Prevalence of Tircuspid Valve Involvement in Chronic Rheumatic Heart Disease and the Role of Echo Doppler as compared to Cardiac Catheterization; a survey of 500 Patients including children, with Rheumatic Heart Disease. Faculty of medicine, Cairo University.
- A new type of Ehler’s Danlos syndrome associated with tortuous systemic arteries, a large kindred from Qatar. Acta Pediatric 92: 456-462, 2003.
- Relationship between skin color and blood pressure in Egyptian adults: results from the national hypertension project, Hypertension, 36(2): 296-302,2000.
- The Egyptian National Hypertension project (NHP) preliminary results. Part of the working group. Journal of Human Hypertension suppl. 1 S39-S41, 1997
- The Egyptian National Hypertension Project,Design and Rational, Hypertension, 880-885, 1995
- Relation between body fat distribution, left ventricular mass and insulin level in men without structural heart disease or systemic hypertension, MSc. Thesis, Department of Internal Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo Egyp, 1996
- Hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment and control in Egypt: results from the Egyptian National hypertension project(NHP), Hypertension, 26(6):886- 890,1995
- An expert system for diagnosis of heart diseases Department of information technology, institute of post graduate studies and research, MSc. Thesis, Alexandria University,Alexandria, Egypt, 1995.
Awards & Honors:
- March 2009: Community service award, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, MI
- February 2009: Teaching award MI State University, MI
- April 2008: Subspecialty award for Med/Peds FAME, MI
- February 1997: 1st young investigator award at the 24th annual scientific meeting of the Egyptian society of Cardiology, entitled “Vascular structure in relation to left ventricular hypertrophy in hypertensive patients, Egypt
- May 1988: Honorable mention and distinction for work on Master degree thesis Entitled: “Tricuspid valve affection in chronic rheumatic heart disease.” Egypt.
- November 1982: Honors degree for ranking in top 10% of graduating Medical class, Egypt
- June 1980: Honors for ranking the 6th student for the 3rd year of medical school, Cairo University, Egypt
- November 1979: Honors for ranking 2nd student for the 1st & 2nd year of medical school, Cairo University, Egypt
- June 1977: Honors for ranking 1st student for the premed year, Cairo University
- 1976 – 1982: Ministry of Higher Education Fellowship for Outstanding Undergraduate Performance, Egypt.
About Salwa Gendi
Dr. Gendi started her career as an Adult Cardiologist in Egypt with a major interest in imaging, echocardiology. She became more specialized in Congenital Heart Disease and was appointed to supervise the Echo Lab for Congenital Heart Disease from fetal to adults in Qatar. In the USA, she then completed a Med/Peds Residency then a Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship with specific training in MRI and adults with Congenital Heart Disease. She is certified in Adult with Congenital Heart Disease.
Patient Care Information
- Internal Medicine
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Cardiology, American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Interventional Cardiology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Residency, Med/Peds Resident
Wayne State University, Michigan, 2011
Fellowship, Pediatric Fellowship
Wayne State University, Michigan, 2012
Residency, Pediatric Cardiology
Rush University, Chicago, IL, 2014