Assistant Professor, Assistant Chairperson
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Human Performance - Exercise Physiology
- PhD, University of Texas at Austin, 2016
- Lim J, Pearman M, Park W, Alkatan M, Machin DR, Tanaka H. Impact of Blood Pressure Perturbations on Arterial Stiffness. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology. 2015 Dec; 309(12). DOI: 10.1152/ajpregu.00368.2015; PMID: 26468262
- Lim J, Pearman M, Park W, Alkatan M, Tanaka H. Interrelationships Among Various Measures of Central Artery Stiffness. American Journal of Hypertension. 2016 Sep; 29(9). DOI: 10.1093/ajh/hpw045; PMID: 27143395
- Machin D, Leary M, He Y, Shiu Y, Tanaka H, Donato A. Ultrasound Assessment of Flow-mediated Dilation of the Brachial and Superficial Femoral Arteries in Rats. Journal of Visualized Experiments. 2016 Nov; 3(117). DOI: 10.3791/54762; PMID: 27842366
- Pearman Leary M, Roy S, Lim J, Park W, Ferrari R, Eaves J, Machin D, Tanaka H. Non-fat Milk and Postprandial Hyperglycemia in Individuals with Android Obesity: A randomized Control Trial. Food Science and Nutrition. 2018; 6: 2104-2112. DOI: 10.1002/fsn3.767; PMID: 30510711
- Pearman Leary M, Roy S, Lim J, Ferrari R, Eaves J, Machin D, Tanaka H. Non-fat Milk and Postprandial Hypertriglyceridemia in Individuals Who Consume a High Fat Diet. Journal of Nutrition and Intermediary Metabolism. 2018 May; 8(13). DOI: 10.1016/j.jnim.2018.05.003
- Olfert M, Famodu O, Flanagan S, Smith E, Leary M, White J, Koenings M, Colby S, Kattelmann K, Franzen-Castle L, White A. The effect of iCook 4-H, a Childhood Obesity Prevention Program, on Blood Pressure and Quality of Life in Youth and Adults. Journal of Childhood Obesity. Vol No 3 Iss 1:4, 2018. DOI:10.21767/2572-5394.100044
- Famodu O, Barr M, Colby S, Zhou W, Leary M, Byrd-Bredbenner C, Mathews A, Olfert M. Neck circumference positively relates to cardiovascular risk factors in college students. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2018 Jul; 15(7). DOI:10.3390/ijerph15071480; PMID: 30011785
- Eck KM, Delaney, CL, Leary MP, Famodu OA, Olfert MD, Shelnutt KP, Byrd-Bredbenner. My tummy tells me: cognitions, barriers, and supports of parents and school-age children for appropriate portion sizes. Nutrients. 2018 Aug; 10(1040). DOI: 10.339/nu10081040
- Leary MP, Clegg EN, Santella ME, Murray PJ, Downs JS, Olfert MD. Adolescent females’ consumerism of social media’s health-related content: a mixed methods pilot study. JMIR Formative Research. 2019; 3(1):e11404. DOI:10.2195/11404; PMID: 30821696
- Eck K, Delaney C, Clark RL, Leary MP, Shelnutt KP, Olfert MD, Byrd-Bredbenner C. The motor of the day: parent and school-age children’s cognitions, barriers, and support for breakfast. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2019, 16(18):3238. DOI:10.3390/ijerph16183238; PMID: 31487827
- Eck KM, Delaney CL, Spaccarotella K, Olfert MD, Hagedorn RL, Dinesen A, Leary MP, Shelnutt KP, Byrd-Bredbenner C. Go Outside and play! Qualitative investigation of the cognitions, barriers, and supports for recommended active play and screentime behaviors of parents and school-age children. Journal of Childhood Obesity. 2018; 3:S1-004. DOI: 10.21767/2572-5394.100060
- Olfert MD, Hagedorn RL, Leary MP, Eck KM, Shelnutt KP, Byrd-Bredbenner C. Parent and school-age children’s food preparation cognitions and behaviors. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2019; 51(6): 684-692. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.20192012022; PMID: 30853563
- Eck KM, Delaney CL, Olfert MD, Hagedorn RL, Leary MP, Santella ME, Clark RL, Famodu OA, Shelnutt KP, Byrd-Bredbenner C. Parents’ and kids’ eating away from home cognitions. British Food Journal. 2019 Apr; 121(5) 1168-1182. DOI:10.1108/BFJ-07-2018-0431
- Hayashi K, Leary M, Tanaka H. Recovery from strenuous downhill running in young and older physically active adults. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 2019; 40(11): 696-703. DOI: 10.1055/a-0951-0017; PMID: 31445504
- Leary MP, Thomas JM, Hayes RA, Sherlock LA. Evaluation of an occupational exercise training program for firefighter: mixed methods pilot study. JMIR Formative Research. 2020; 4(9):e17835. DOI:10.2196/17835
- Leary MP and Sherlock LA. Service-Learning or Internship: a mixed-methods evaluation of experieintial learning pedagogies. Education Research International. Volume 2020, Article ID 1683270, 9 pages, 2020. DOI:10.1155/2020/1683270.
- Hayes RA, Sherlock LA, Leary MP. The role of experiential learning on self-efficacy of undergraduate exercise physiology students: a pilot study. International Journal of Research in Exercise Physiology. 2020; 15(2): 1-13.
- Leary MP, Morewood A, and Bryner RJ. A controlled intervention to improve freshman retention in a STEM-based physiology major. 2020; 44: 334-343. DOI: 10.1152/advan.00038.2020
Provost’s Transform This! Challenge 2020 for Exercise is Medicine on Campus
Community Engagement Grant 2020 for rural community Exercise is Medicine initiative.
Excellence in Service-Learning Instruction from WVU Center for Service and Learning (2020)
About Miriam Leary
Dr. Miriam Leary holds a BS in exercise biology from the University of California Davis, an MS in exercise physiology from WVU, and a PhD in exercise science from the University of Texas at Austin where her research focused on the vascular effects of nutrition interventions. Miriam is also a Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist with the American College of Sports Medicine. She just finished her postdoctoral fellowship in human nutrition at WVU and is excited to join us as an Assistant Professor in Exercise Physiology with her efforts focused on retention and developing offsite internship opportunities for field placement.
Grants and Research
Retention of Undergraduate STEM Students
Teaching and learning in STEM