Professor and Division Chief, Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
Professor & Section Chief, Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- MD, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 1982
1. Hanish SI, Stein DM, Scalea JR, Essien E, Thurman P, Hutson WR, Bartlett ST, Barth RN, Scalea TM. Molecular Adsorbent Recirculating System Effectively Replaces Hepatic Function in Severe Acute Liver Failure. Annals of Surgery 2017; October, 266:677-684.
2. Posner AD, Sultan ST, Zaghloul NA, Twadell WS, Bruno DA, Hanish SI, Hutson WR, Hebert L, Barth RN, LaMattina JC. Resolution of Donor Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Following Liver Transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2017 Sep;31(9). doi: 10.1111/ctr.13032. Epub 2017 Jul 13.
3. Ahmed SB, Miller M, Hanish S, Bartlett ST, Hutson W, Barth RN, Lamattina JC. Sequential kidney-liver transplantation from the same living donor for lecithin cholesterol acyl transferase (LCAT) deficiency. Clin Transplant 2016;Aug 4 doi
4. Mindokoglu AL, Dowling TC, Madger LS, Christensen RH, Weir MR, Seliger SL, Hutson WR, Howell CD. Estimation of glomerular filtration rate in patients with cirrhosis by using new and conventional filtration markers and dimethylarginines. Clin GastroenterolHepatol 2015;Jun 29
5. Mindokoglu AL, Dowling TC, Wong-You-Cheong JJ, Christensen RH, Magder LS, Hutson WR, Seliger SL, Weir MR. A pilot study to evaluate renal hemodynamics in cirrhosis by simultaneous glomerular filtration rate, renal plasma flow, renal resistive indices, and biomarkers measurements. Am J Nephrol 2014;39(6)543-52.
6. LaMattina JC, Kelly PJ, Hanish SI, Ottmann SE, Powell JM, Hutson WR, Sivaraman V, Udekwu O, Barth RN. Intraoperative Continuous Veno-Venous Hemofiltration Facilitates Surgery in Liver Transplant Patients with Acute Renal Failure. Transplant Proc. 2015 Jul-Aug;47(6):1901-4.
7. Mindikoglu AL, Dowling TC, Schaub DJ, Hutson WR, Potosky DR, Christenson RH, Barth RN, LaMattina JC, Hanish SI, Weir MR, Raufman JP. Pharmacokinetics and Tolerability of Intravenous Sildenafil in Two Subjects with Child-Turcotte-Pugh Class C Cirrhosis and Renal Dysfunction. Dig Dis Sci. 2015 Nov;60(11);3491-4.
8. Alkhatib AA, Maldonado AQ, Abdel Jalil A, Hutson W. Physicians’ attitude toward organ donation and transplantation in the USA. (2014) Clin Transplant Feb;28(2):149-51
9. Harrison JD, Selzman CH, Thiesset HF, Box T, Hutson WR, Lu JK, Campsen J, Sorensen JB, Kim RD. Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement with orthotopic liver transplantation: report of a case. (2014) Surg Today Mar;44(3):546-9.
10. Lamattina JC, Jason MP, Hanish SI, Ottmann SE, Klassen DK, Potosky D, Hutson WR, Barth RN. Safety of Belatacept Bridging Immunosuppression in Hepatitis C-Positive Liver Transplant Recipients With Renal Dysfunction. (2014) Jan 27;97(2): Transplantation. Jan 27;97(2): 133-7.
11. Schwartz JJ, Pappas L, Thiesset HF, Vargas G, Sorensen JB, Kim RD, Boucher K, Box T, Hutson WR. (2012). Liver transplantation in septuagenarians receiving meld exception points for hepatocellular carcinoma: The national experience. (2012) Liver Transpl Apr 18(4), 423-33.
12. Deneau M, Adler DG, Schwartz JJ, Hutson W, Sorensen J, Book L, Lowichek A, Guthery S. (2011) Cholangiocarcinoma in a 17 year-old boy with primary sclerosing cholangitis and inflammatory bowel disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr May 52;(5):617-20
13. Gorman DR, Hutson WR. Successful endoscopic removal of metal vascular coils from the biliary tree. (2011). Dig Liver Dis, Dec; 43(12):e27
Honors and Awards
1978 Magna cum Laude, West Virginia University
1981 Medical School Honors in Pulmonary, Gastroenterology, Radiology, Emergency Medicine, Endocrinology and Orthopedic Surgery. West Virginia University and University of California
1985 Original Research Award. West Virginia University, Charleston Division 1985. Ciba-Geigy Award for Most Outstanding Medical Resident, West Virginia University, Charleston Division
1985 Research Competition Finalist: American College of Physicians Regional Meeting
1990-1991 Annual Organization of Student Representatives (OSR) Award for excellence in Teaching, University of Utah chapter
1991-1992 Annual Organization of Student Representatives (OSR) Award for excellence in Teaching, University of Utah chapter
2007-2011 Selected by peers for Best Doctors in America
2009-2010 Who's Who of Doctors
2011 Patients Choice Physician Award
2011 America’s Top Gastroenterologists
2012-2013, 2016 Top Doctor’s Award
2014 Fellowship AGA
2017 Shock Trauma Hero’s Award. R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, University of Maryland Medical Center
Professional Society Memberships
American Medical Association, Resident and Physician member, 1985-1990
European Association for the Study of Liver, Physician member, 2014-present
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, Physician member, 2000- present
American Gastroenterology Association, Physician member, 1988-present
American Motility Society, Physician member, 1986-1995
Grants and Research
11/2013- present A double-blind, randomized, stratified, multi-center trial evaluating conventional and high dose oseltamivir in the treatment of immunocompromised patients with influenza Principal Investigator: William R. Hutson, MD
03/2014-present Multicenter, Randomized Phase 2B Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of OCR-002 (ornithine phenylacetate) in Hospitalized Patients with Cirrhosis and Associated Hyperammonemia with an Episode of Hepatic Encephalopathy STOP-HE Study Principal Investigator: William R. Hutson, MD Ocera Therapeutics
06/2015-present A Randomized, Global, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Parallel-group Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Once-daily Oral Avatrombopag for the Treatment of Adults with Thrombocytopenia Associated with Liver Disease Prior to an Elective Procedure Principal Investigator: William R. Hutson, MD Eisai, Inc.
Pending A Phase 3 Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study to Assess the Safety and Efficacy of S-888711 (Lusutrombopag) for the Treatment of Thrombocytopenia in Patients with Chronic Liver Disease Undergoing Elective Invasive Procedures (L-PLUS 2) Principal Investigator: William R. Hutson, MD Shionogi, Inc.