Assistant Professor, Chemical and Biomedical Engineering; Assistant Professor
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Department of Neuroscience
- Wang S, Mamelak AN, Adolphs R, Rutishauser U (in press). Encoding of target detection during visual search by single neurons in the human brain. Current Biology
- Wang S, Falvello V, Porter J, Said CP, Todorov A (2018). Behavioral and neural adaptation in approach behavior. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience
- Wang S (2018). Face size biases emotion judgment through eye movement. Scientific Reports 8:317
- Sun S, Zhen S, Fu Z, Wu D-A, Shimojo S, Adolphs R, Yu R,Wang S(2017). Decision ambiguity is mediated by a late positive potential originating from cingulate cortex. NeuroImage, 157:400-414.
- Wang S, Yu R, Tyszka JM, Zhen S, Kovach C, Sun S, Huang Y, Hurlemann R, Ross IB, Chung JM, Mamelak AN, Adolphs R, Rutishauser U (2017). The human amygdala parametrically encodes the intensity of specific facial emotions and their categorical ambiguity. Nature Communications, 8:14821.
- Wang S, Fan S, Chen B, Hakimi S, Paul LK, Zhao Q, Adolphs R (2016). Revealing the world of autism through the lens of a camera. Current Biology, 26(20):R909-R910.
- Wang S*, Jiang M*, Morin Duchesne X, Laugeson EA, Kennedy DP, Adolphs R, Zhao Q (2015). Atypical visual saliency in autism spectrum disorder quantified through model-based eye tracking. Neuron, 88(3):604-616.
- Wang S, Tudusciuc O, Mamelak AN, Ross IB, Adolphs R, Rutishauser U (2014). Neurons in the human amygdala selective for perceived emotion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(30):E3110-E3119.
Our lab exploits the unique opportunities provided by intracranial electrical recordings during neurosurgical procedures. Using single-neuron recording from epileptic patients implanted with depth electrodes, we investigate neural mechanisms of saliency, attention, and face processing. We also combine multimodal neuroscience approaches, including functional neuroimaging, intracranial and scalp EEG, and computational modeling, as well as study neurological populations such as amygdala lesion patients and people with autism.
- Investigating the neural basis for goal-directed visual search
- Investigating the neural basis for saliency and memory using natural scene stimuli
- Investigating the neural basis for face processing using computational face models
- Investigating the psychological and neural bases underlying altered saliency representation in autism