- MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
About Daniel Grabo
BS University of Scranton (Biology)-Scranton, PA 1998
MD Georgetown University School of Medicine- Washington, DC 2003
Intern in Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 2003-2004
Resident in General Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 2004-2009
Fellow Traumatology, Surgical Critical Care and Emergency Surgery 2010-2012 University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
American Board of Surgery – Surgery (Certificate # 054485) 2010-2020
American Board of Surgery – Surgical Critical Care (Certificate # 002962) 2012-2022
- Smith B, Polk K, Mancini J, Grabo D, Remick K, Schwab CW. Military surgeon confidence is improved by participation in a civilian trauma training center. American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Annual Meeting. September 2015, Las Vegas, NV.
- Grabo D. Remick K, Briggs S. Are Trauma Surgeons Ready to Respond to Today’s Disasters? Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma Annual Scientific Assembly. Poster presentation. January 2017, Hollywood, FL.
- Minetti M, Benjamin E, Grabo D, Ochoa C, Logsdon D, Sullivan M, Demetriades D. Develeopment and Implementation of a Pressurized Cadaver Simulation Curriculum. Submitted to the Annual ACS Surgical Simulation Meeting. March 2017. Chicago, IL.
- Grabo D, Strumwasser A, Inaba K, Foran C, Luther C, Matsushima K, Kronstedt S, Polk T, Demetriades D. A Novel, Pressurized-Cadaver Simulation Model for Limb Tourniquet Training in Military Medics. Poster presentation. The American Association for the Surgery of Trauma. September 2017, Baltimore, MD.
- Bardes J, Inaba K, Schellenberg M, Grabo D, Strumwasser A, Clark D, Matsushima K, Demetriades D. Contemporary Timing of Trauma Mortalities. Quickshot Presentaion. The American Association for the Surgery of Trauma. September 2017, Baltimore, MD.
- Ross K, Bardes J, Grabo D, Schellenberg M, Inaba K, Kazan C, Jamieson R, Strumwasser A, Demetriades D. Trauma Outreach in the Prehospital Setting: Pre and Post Training Confidence with Hemorrhage Control. American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress. October 2017. San Diego, CA.
Original Published Peer-Reviewed Articles
- Ebbeling L, Grabo DJ, Shashaty M, Dua R, Sonnad SS, Sims CA, Pascual JL, Schwab CW, Holena DN. Psoas:lumbar vertebra index: central sarcopenia independently predicts morbidity in elderly trauma patients. European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery. 2014;40:57-65.
- Joos E, Inaba K, Karamanos O, Byerly S, Nozanov L, Vogt K, Grabo D, Demetriades D. Ocular trauma at a level I trauma center: the burden of penetrating injuries. The American Surgeon. 2014;80:207-209.
- Resnick S, Inaba K, Okoye O, Nosanov L, Grabo D, Benjamin E, Smith J, Demetriades D. Impact of smoking on trauma patients. Turkish Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery 2014;20:248-252.
- Grabo D, Inaba K, Hammer P, Karamanos E, Skiada D, Martin M, Sullivan M, Demetriades D. Optimal training for emergency needle thoracostomy placement by preshospital personnel: didactic teaching versus a cadaver-based training program. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2014;77:S109-113.
- Yung EE, Lee CM, Boys J, Grabo DJ, Buxbaum JL, Chandrasoma PT. Strongyloides hyperinfection in a patient with a history of systemic lupus erythematosus. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 2014;91:806-809.
- Nicholson K, Inaba K, Skiada D, Okoye O, Lam L, Grabo D, Benjamin E, Demetriades D. Management of patients with evisceration after abdominal stab wounds. The American Surgeon. 2014;80:984-988.
- Kaplan D, Inaba K, Chouliaras K, Low GM, Benjamin E, Lam L, Grabo D, Demetriades D. Subtotal cholecystectomy and open total cholecystectomy: alternatives in complicated cholecystitis. The American Surgeon. 2014;80:953-955.
- Tadlock M, Chouliaras K, Kennedy M, Talving P, Okoye O, Aksoy H, Karamanos E, Zheng L, Grabo D, Rogers C, Noguchi T, Inaba K, Demetriades D. The origin of fatal pulmonary emboli: a post-mortem analysis of 500 deaths from pulmonary embolism in trauma, surgery and medical patients. The American Journal of Surgery. 2015;209:959-968.
- Inaba K, Karamanos E, Skiada D, Grabo D, Hammer P, Martin M, Sullivan M, Eckstein M, Demetriades D. Cadaveric comparison of the optimal site for needle decompression of tension pneumothorax by prehospital care providers. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2015;79:1044-1048.
- Matsushima K, Inaba K, Skiada D, Esparaza M, Cho J, Lee T, Strumwasser A, Magee G, Grabo D, Lam L, Benjamin E, Belzberg H, Demetriades D. A high-volume trauma intensive care unit can be successfully staffed by advanced practitioners at night. Journal of Critical Care. 2016;33:4-7.
- Linnebur M, Inaba K, Haltmeier T, Rasmussen TE, Smith J, Mendelsberg R, Grabo D, Demetriades D. Emergent non-image guided REBOA catheter placement: A cadaver-based study. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. Epub May 2016.
- Remick K, Shackelford S, Oh J, Seery J, Grabo D, Chovanes J, Gross K, Nessen S, Tai N, Rickard R, Elster E, and Schwab C. Surgeon preparedness or mass casualty events: Adapting essential military surgical lessons or the home front. American Journal of Disaster Medicine. 2016;11(2)77-87.
- Strumwasser A, Grabo D, Inaba K, Matsushima K, Clark D, Benjamin E, Lam L, Demetriades D. Is Your Graduating General Surgery Resident Qualified to Take Trauma Call? A 15-Year Appraisal of the Changes in General Surgery Education for Trauma. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2017;82(3):470-480.
- de Roulet A, Inaba K, Strumwasser A, Chouliaras K, Lam L, Benjamin E, Grabo D, Demetriades D. Severe injuries associated with skiing and snowboarding: A national trauma databank study. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2017;82(4)781-786.
- Leatherman ML, Held JM, Fluke LM, McEvoy CS, Inaba K, Grabo D, Martin MJ, Earley AS, Ricca RL, Polk TM. Relative device stability of anterior versus axillary needle decompression for tension pneumothorax during casualty movement: Preliminary analysis of a human cadaver model. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2017;83(1 Suppl 1):S136-S141.
- Aiolfi A, Inaba K, Strumwasser A, Matsushima K, Grabo D, Benjamin ER, Lam L, Demetriades D. Splenic artery embolization versus splenectomy: analysis for early in-hospital infectious complications and outcomes. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2017 Apr 28 (Epub ahead of print)
- Bardes JM, Grabo DJ, Lam L, Tadlock MD, Strumwasser A, Inaba K. Treatment algorithm and management of retrohepatic vena cava injuries. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2017;(83)2:340-344.
- Schellenberg M, Inaba K, Bardes JM, O’Brien D, Lam L, Benjamin E, Grabo D, Demetriades D. Defining the GE Junction in Trauma: Epidemiology and Management of a Challenging Injury. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2017 May 22. (Epub ahead of print)
- Grabo D, Strumwasser A. Maintaining the Critical Care Continuum in Resuscitation. International Anesthesia Clinics. 2017;55(3)130-146.
- Schellenberg M, Inaba K, Cho J, Tatum J, Barmparas G, Strumwasser A, Grabo D, Bir C, Eastman A, Demetriades D. Injuries sustained during contact with law enforcement: an analysis from US trauma centers. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2017 Jul 8. (Epub ahead of print)
- Khanna A, English S, Wang X, ATHOS-3 Investigators. Angiotensin II for the Treatment of Vasodilatory Shock. New England Journal of Medicine. 2017;377(5):419-430.
- Grabo D, Braslow B, Schwab CW. Trauma in Our “Elders” Current Therapy of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, 2nd Edition. Asensio J, Trunkey D. (eds.) 2015 Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA
- Kwon E, Grabo D, Velmahos G. Carotid Artery and Internal Jugular Vein Injuries. Atlas of Surgical Techniques in Trauma. Demetriades D, Inaba K, Velmahos G. (eds.) 2015 Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK
- Talving P, Benjamin E, Grabo D. Lower Extremity Fasciotomies. Atlas of Surgical Techniques in Trauma. Demetriades D, Inaba K, Velmahos G. (eds.) 2015 Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK
- Pagenkopf E, Grabo D, Hammer P. Orthopedic Damage Control. Atlas of Surgical Techniques in Trauma. Demetriades D, Inaba K, Velmahos G. (eds.) 2015 Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK
- Grabo D, Beekley A. Initial Management Priorities: Beyond ABCDE. Front Line Surgery: A Practical Approach. Martin M, Beekley A, Eckert M. (eds.) Springer. In press.
- Park C, Grabo D. Sodium and Potassium Abnormalities. Surgical Critical Care Therapy: A Clinically Oriented Practical Approach. Inaba K, Salim A, Brown C, Martin M. (eds.) Springer. In Press
Technical Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Grabo D, Seery J, Bradley M, et al. The prevention of deep venous thrombosis – inferior vena cava filter. Joint Trauma System Clinical Practice Guideline. 02 Aug 2016. www.usaisr.amedd.army.mil
- Stockinger Z, Grabo D, Benov A, et al. Blunt abdominal trauma, splenectomy, and post-splenectomy vaccination. Joint Trauma System Clinical Practice Guideline. 12 Aug 2016. www.usaisr.amedd.army.mil
- Neal C, Bell R, Carmichael J, DuBose J, Grabo D, et al. Catastrophic non-survivable head injury. Joint Trauma System Clinical Practice Guideline.27 Jan 2017. www.usaisr.amedd.army.mil
- Oh J, Seery J, Grabo D, et al. Unexploded ordinance (UXO) management. Joint Trauma System Clinical Practice Guideline. 14 Mar 2017. www.usaisr.amedd.army.mil
Invited Lectures and Presentations: National
- American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress 2014. Resuscitation of the Surgical Patient: Elements of Resuscitation. San Francisco, CA. October 2014.
- USC Acute Care Surgery Symposium 2015. Special Forces Medic Training. Pasadena, CA. May 2015.
- Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Annual Meeting. What’s New in Critical Care? Santa Barbara, CA. January 2016.
- Association of Perioperative Nurses Surgical Conference. The Evolution of Damage Control. Anaheim, CA. April 2016.
- California Fire EMS Disaster Conference and Expo 2016. Damage Control Surgery Starts at Ground Zero. Indian Wells, CA. May 2016.
- Nemours A.I. DuPont Hospital for Children. Best Practices in Pediatric Trauma Care. Caring for Injured Children in Afghanistan as Casualties of War. Keynote Address. Wilmington, DE. September 2016.
- EAST 2017 Annual Scientific Assembly. Retrohepatic Vena Cava Exposure and Repair. Hollywood, FL. January 2017.
- Marietta Memorial Hospital Trauma Symposium 2017. Keynote Address: Trauma Care Military to Civilian. Marietta, OH. March 2017.
- Marietta Memorial Hospital Trauma Symposium 2017. Preparing for the Future: Injuries due to Explosions. Marietta, OH. March 2017.
Invited Lectures and Presentations: Local and Institutional
- USC Acute Care Surgery Symposium 2015. Special Forces Medic Training. Pasadena, CA. May 2015.
- Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center Trauma Grand Rounds. Principles of Damage Control Surgery. Thousand Oaks, CA. September 2015.
- University of Southern California Department of Urology Grand Rounds. Battlefield Genitourinary Injuries. Los Angeles, CA. January 2016.
- Northridge Hospital Medical Center. Department of Surgery Grand Rounds. Prevention of Morbidity and Mortality in Patients with Massive Blood Loss. Northridge, CA. March 2016.
- USC Acute Care Surgery Symposium 2016. Protective Equipment: It makes a difference in combat injuries? Pasadena, CA. May 201
Patient Care Information
- Trauma and Emergency Surgery
Residency, General Surgery
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
Fellowship, Traumatology, Surgical Critical Care and Emergency Surgery
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA