About Jad Abdelsattar
Born and raised in Jordan, Dr. Abdelsattar moved to the USA after graduating from medical school. He completed a 2 year research fellowship and a preliminary year in general surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN prior to starting his residency here at WVU.
- MD, Jordan University of Science and Technology, 2012
The focus of Dr. Abdelsattar's research was on surgical education and simulation. He also worked on multiple research projects in the fields of general and breast surgery and plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Farley D, Rowse P and Abdelsattar J. (2015). Transition to Clinical and Economic Outcomes. In R. Aggarwal, J. Korndorffer & J. Cannon-Bowers (Eds.), ACS Principles and Practice for Simulation and Surgical Education Research (1 ed., Vol. 1, pp. 42-51). Chicago, IL: American College of Surgeons.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Abdelsattar JM, AlJamal YN, Ruparel RK, Rowse PG, Heller SF, Farley DR. Correlation of Objective Assessment Data With General Surgery Resident InTraining Evaluation Reports and Operative Volumes. Journal of Surgical Education 2018. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29773409
- Abdelsattar JM, Al-Hilli Z, Hoskin TL, Heins CN, Boughey JC. Validation of the CPS + EG Staging System for Disease Specific Survival in Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2016. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27328945
- Pandian TK, El Khatib M, Abdelsattar JM, Farley DR. Simulation for Endocrine Surgery Training: a Call to Action. International Journal of Endocrine Oncology 2016. https://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/abs/10.2217/ije-2016-0003?journalCode=ije
- Yu D, Abdelrahman AM, Buckarma EH, Lowndes BR, Gas BL, Finnesgard EJ, Abdelsattar JM, Pandian TK, El Khatib M, Farley DR and Hallbeck MS. Mental and Physical Workloads in a Competitive Laparoscopic Skills Training Environment: A Pilot Study. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 59th Annual Meeting, 508-512. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1541931215591109
- Sun P, Pandian TK, Abdelsattar JM, Farley DR. Reoperation for Groin Pain after inguinal Hernioraphy: Does it Really Work? Am J Surgery 2016. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26792272
- Buckarma EH, Gas BL, Pandian TK, Abdelsattar JM, El Khatib MM, Mohan M, Naik ND, Farley DR. Catch Me if You Can… Early Simulation Efforts Affect Fundamental Surgical Skill Assessment Scores. Am J Surgery 2016. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002961015300155
- Zhu L, Mohan AT, Abdelsattar JM, Wang Z, Vijayasekaran A, Hwang M, Tran NV, Saint-Cyr, M. Comparison of Subcutaneous versus Submuscular Expander Placement in the First Stage of Immediate Breast Reconstruction. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery 2016. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1748681516000188
- Abdelsattar JM, Boughey JC, Fahy AS, Jakub JW, Farley DR, Hieken TJ, Degnim AC, Goede W, Mohan AT, Harmsen S, Niesen AD, Tran NV, Bakri K, Jacobson SR, Lemaine V, Saint-Cyr M. Comparative Study of Liposomal Bupivacaine versus Paravertebral Block for Pain Control Following Mastectomy with Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2015. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1245/s10434-015-4833-4
- Abdelsattar JM, Pandian T.K., Finnesgard EJ, El Khatib MM, Rowse PG, Buckarma EH, Gas BL, Heller SF, Farley DR. Do You See What I See? How We Use Video as an Adjunct to General Surgery Resident Education. Journal of Surgical Education 2015. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26454723
- Abdelsattar JM, Degnim AC, Hieken TJ, Saint-Cyr M, Boughey JC. Local Infiltration of Liposomal Bupivacaine for Pain Control in Patients Undergoing Mastectomy with Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2015. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1245%2Fs10434-015-4670-5
- Rowse PG, Ruparel RK, AlJamal YN, Abdelsattar JM, Farley DR. Video Skills Curricula and Simulation: A Synergistic Way to Teach 2-Layered, Hand-Sewn Small Bowel Anastomosis. Journal of Surgical Education 2015. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26002534
- Rowse PG, Ruparel RJ, Abdelsattar JM, AlJamal YN, Farley DR. TEP and Lichtenstein Anatomy- Does Simulation Accelerate Acquisition Among Interns? Hernia 2015. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26238398
- Rowse PG, Ruparel RJ, Brahmbhatt RD, Dy BM, AlJamal YN, Abdelsattar JM, Farley DR. Assimilating Endocrine Anatomy through Simulation: A Pre-emptive Strike! Am J Surg 2015. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25578743
- LeBlanc K, Misra D, Zacherl J, Petrella G, Khan F, Negro P, Roll S, Hope W, Campanelli G, Van Lander A, Muysoms F, Kyle-Leinhase I, Ceulemans R, Pletinckx P, Jacobs I, Michiels M, Berrevoet F, Blair L, Huntington C, Cox T, Ross S, Prasad T, Lincourt A, Matthews B, Kercher K, Heniford BT, Augenstein V, El Khatib M, Pandian TK, Abdelsattar J, Farley D15, Halmerbauer G, Arthofer K, Ausch C, Ehrenmüller M, Hangl C, Hubatka K, Kamptner N, Königswieser T, Rieger R, Magnusson J, Nygren J, Thorell A, Huang C, Tai FC, Chou TH, Huang CS, Latham L, Cadinu I, Livraghi L, Berselli M, Agrusti S, Borghi F, Ambrosoli A, Crespi A, Pagano G, Galvanin J, Raveglia V, Cocozza E, Olory-Togbe J, Hounnou GM, Dossou F, Gbessi DG, Idossou V, Gnangnon F, Elegbede A. Quality of Life after Hernia Surgery. Hernia 2015. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF03355339
- Rowse PG, Ruparel RJ, AlJamal YN, Abdelsattar JM, Heller SF, Farley DR Catering to Millennial Learners: Assessing and Improving FNA Performance. Journal of Surgical Education 2014. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25433964
- 2018 Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication Using Gastric Remnant for Intractable Reflux after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. Presented at the 23RD World Congress International Federation For The Surgery Of Obesity And Metabolic Disorders, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- 2018 Understanding Faculty and Resident Perceptions of Social Media Use in Surgical Practice. Presented at the 2018 American College of Surgeons West Virginia Annual Chapter Meeting, White Sulphur Springs, WV.
- 2018 QI Initiatives Presentations: Does Preoperative Education Time Influence Patient Satisfaction, Confidence in Self Care, Short and Long Term Weight Loss Following Bariatric Surgery? Presented at the 2018 Virginia Bariatric Society State Chapter Meeting, Richmond, VA.
- 2016 Evidence-Based Patient Safety Advisory: Liposuction. Presented at the Plastic Surgery Journal Club, WVU-Medicine, Morgantown, WV.
- 2016 Validation of the CPS + EG Staging System for Disease Specific Survival in Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Presented at the Annual American Society of Breast Surgeons Meeting, Dallas, TX.
- 2016 Abdominal Compartment Syndrome. Presented at the Weekly Basic Science Chief Conference, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- 2016 Validation of the CPS + EG Staging System for Disease Specific Survival in Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Presented at the Weekly Morbidity and Mortality General Surgery Conference, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- 2015 Cystgastrostomy, a Case Presentation. Presented at the Monthly Hepatobiliary Education Conference, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- 2015 Objective Assessment of Trainees Using the Surgical Olympics and XGames. Presented at the Annual Simulation Grand Rounds, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- 2015 Exparel in Mastectomy with Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction, Morbidity and Mortality General Surgery conference, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- 2015 Comparative Study of Liposomal Bupivacaine versus Paravertebral Block for Pain Control Following Mastectomy with Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction. Presented at the Plastic Surgery Research Council Meeting; Seattle, WA.
- 2015 Local Infiltration of Liposomal Bupivacaine for Pain Control in Patients Undergoing Mastectomy with Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction. Presented at the Annual American Society of Breast Surgeons Meeting, Orlando, FL.
- 2015 Do You See What I See? Differences in Perception During Laparoscopic Procedures. Presented at the Annual Association of Program Directors in Surgery Meeting; Seattle, WA.
- 2014 Is There An Objective and Fair Method To Assess General Surgery Resident Performance? Presented at the Annual Western Surgical Association Meeting; Indian Wells, CA.
- 2014 Simulating the Whipple Procedure: Novel Ideas for Educating Millennial Surgeons. Presented at the Minnesota Surgical Society Fall Conference; Rochester, MN.
- 2014 A Novel ‘Audiovisual’ Assessment Method Can Discriminate Residents’ Cognizance of Laparoscopic Surgery. Present at the Minnesota Surgical Society Fall Conference; Rochester, MN.
- 2014 Teaching, Assessing, and Remediating in the Age of Milestones: A General Surgery Simulation and AV Curriculum. Presented at the ACGME Annual Education Conference; National Harbor, MD.
- 2013 Avoiding the “007” Surgical Intern. Simulation Education to Make Central Line Placement Safe. Presented at the Minnesota Surgical Society Fall Conference; Alexandria, MN.
- 2018 Use of Forced Vital Capacity to Select Patients with Traumatic Rib Fractures for Fixation. Presented at the Trauma Quality Improvement Program (TQIP) Annual Scientific Meeting and Training; in Anaheim, CA.
- 2014 Using Simulation to Document Improvement of Resident Skills During Chest Tube Insertion. Presented at the 15th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Simulation in Healthcare; New Orleans, LA: Sim Healthcare. 2014; 9(6):395. https://journals.lww.com/simulationinhealthcare/Fulltext/2014/12000/Boar d__100___Research_Abstract_Using_Simulation_to.11.aspx
- 2014 A Surgical Educators’ Armamentarium. Using Jeopardy to Assess Residents Retention and Improvement of Medical Knowledge. Presented at the 7th Annual Meeting of the Consortium of ACS-Accredited Education Institutes; Chicago, IL.
- 2013 Avoiding the “007” Surgical Intern. Simulation Education to Make Central Line Placement Safe. Presented at the 14th Annual meeting of the International Society for Simulation in Healthcare; San Francisco CA
- Pandian TK, Gas BL, Mohan M, El Khatib MM, Abdelsattar JM, Buckarma EH, Naik ND, Heller S, Farley DR. Utility of Extracurricular Deliberate Practice in General Surgery Training. Clinical Congress 2016. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Volume 223, Issue 4, e182 - e183. http://www.journalacs.org/article/S1072-7515(16)31206-6/fulltext
- Mohan AT, Hwang SM, Zhu L, Gaba P, Brickley E, Abdelsattar JM, Reusche R, Tran NV, Saint-Cyr M. Adipofascial Flap Versus ADM: An Intraoperative Selection Algorithm for Implant Coverage in Immediate Breast Reconstruction. PSTM 2016. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016 Sep; 4(9 Suppl): 93-93. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5147161/
- Abdelsattar J, AlJamal Y, Farley D, Rowse P, Ruparel R. Using simulation to document improvement of resident skills during chest tube insertion. IMSH 2014. Sim Healthcare. 2014; 9(6):395. https://journals.lww.com/simulationinhealthcare/Abstract/2014/12000/Board__100__ _Research_Abstract_Using_Simulation_to.11.aspx
- Abdelsattar JM, Boughey JC, Mohan AT, Gaba P, Tran B, Harmsen S, Jankowski, C, Jakub J, Hieken T, Degnim A, Farley D, Bakri K, Jacobson S, Lemaine V, Maricevich R, Saint-Cyr M. Comparative Study of Liposomal Bupivacaine versus Paravertebral Block for Pain Control Following Mastectomy with Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. PSRC 2015 Abstract Supplement, May 2015, p 54. http://ps-rc.org/meeting/abstracts/2015/68.cgi#
- 2018 First Place, Resident Paper Competition, Annual American College of Surgeons Meeting, West Virginia Chapter
- 2018 Franklin Schiebel Excellence in Critical Care Award, West Virginia University, Department of Surgery
- 2011 Honor roll, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid-Jordan
- 2006 Award of Academic Excellence, Amman Academy, Amman-Jordan
- Abdelsattar JM, Warner R, Grabo D. 2017 Annual Jon Michael Moore Trauma Center Research Grant. Cadaver-based Training vs. Mannequin-based Simulation for Teaching Tube Thoracostomy Insertion. WVU Critical Care & Trauma Institute, Morgantown, West Virginia.
- 2015-present Member, American College of Surgeons
- 2015-present Member, Association Program Directors in Surgery
- 2013-present Member, Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- 2013-present Member, Jordanian Medical Association
- Traveling, fine cuisine, swimming, running, hiking, weight training, photography, video games and videography.
- Dr. Abdelsattar has visited two of the 7 wonders of the modern world (Petra and Chichén Itza) and hopes that he will eventually get the chance to visit the rest.