- Department of Neuroscience
- Microbiology, Immunology & Cell Biology
- Emergency Medicine
- Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute
- PhD, Duke University
- Brichacek AL, Brown CM (2018). Alkaline phosphatase: a potential biomarker for stroke and implications for treatment.. Metab Brain Dis.
- Geldenhuys WJ, Benkovic SA, Lin L, Yonutas HM, Crish SD, Sullivan PG, Darvesh AS, Brown CM, Richardson JR. MitoNEET (CISD1) knockout mice show signs of striatal mitochondrial dysfunction and a Parkinson’s Disease phenotype. ACS Chem Neurosci [Epub ahead of print].
- Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Brown CM, Povroznik J, Simpkins JW. Estrogens as neuroprotectants: estrogenic actions in the context of cognitive aging and brain injury. Prog Neurobiol. 2017 Oct; 157: 188-211.
- Hall JL, Ryan JJ, Bray BE, Brown C, Lanfear D, et al. Merging electronic health record data and genomics for cardiovascular research: A science advisory from the American Heart Association. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2016 Mar 14; 9(2): 193-202.
- Brown CM, Bushnell CD, Samsa G, Goldstein LB, Colton CA. Chronic systemic immune dysfunction in African-Americans with small vessel-type ischemic stroke. (2015) Transl Stroke Res. 6: 430-436.
- Kan MJ, Lee JE, Wilson JG, Everhart AL, Brown CM, Hoofnagle AN, Jansen M, Vitek MP, Gunn MD, Colton CA. Arginine deprivation and immune suppression in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. (2015) J Neurosci. 35: 5969-5982.
- Vachharajani V, Liu TF, Brown CM, Wang X, Buehler N, Wells JD, Yoza BK, McCall CM. SIRT1 inhibition during hypoinflammatory phenotype phase of sepsis enhances immunity and improves outcome. (2014) J Leuk Biol. 96: 785-796.
- Liu TF, Brown CM, El-Gazzar M, McPhail L, Millet P, Rao A, Vachharajani VT, Yoza BK, McCall CE. (2012) Fueling the flame: bioenergy coordinates metabolism and inflammation. J Leuk. Biol. May 9, 2012, epub.
- C.M. Brown, J.O. Becker, P.M. Wise, and A.N. Hoofnagle. (2011). Simultaneous detection of six L-arginine metabolites in human and mouse plasmausing hydrophilic-interaction chromatography and electrospray-tandem mass spectrometry. Clin. Chem. 57:701-709.
- Brown CM, Mulcahey TA, Filipek NC, Wise PM (2010). Production of proinflammatory cytokines and chemokines during neuroinflammation: novel roles for estrogen receptors alpha and beta. Endocrinology 151:4916-4925.
The long-term research objective of my laboratory is to understand the neuroendocrine and neuroimmune mechanisms that control brain endothelial cell and blood-brain barrier responses to systemic inflammation. My research program addresses how prior acute systemic infections influence stroke severity and accelerate cognitive decline in mouse models of sepsis, ischemic stroke, and Alzheimer’s disease. Our studies will provide insights into how sex differences shape innate inflammatory responses that, in turn, enhance neurological dysfunction and promote neurodegenerative disease.
- Sex differences in brain responses to acute systemic inflammation in sepsis, stroke, and Alzheimer's disease
- Mechanisms that preserve blood-brain barrier integrity and protect cerebral function in brain microvascular endothelial cells
- Brain and peripheral arginine metabolism in stroke and Alzheimer’s disease
Techniques and animal models include
Mouse models of acute and chronic inflammation
- Sepsis - cecal ligation and puncture
- schemic stroke - permanent and transient middle cerebral artery occlusion
- Transgenic models of Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementias
- Brain endothelial cell primary cultures and hCMEC/D3 cells
- Astrocyte and microglia primary cultures
Histology and microscopy
- Alkaline phosphatase histochemistry and cerebral microvessel analysis
- Fluorescence and confocal microscopy
- LAESI: Laser ablation electrospray ionization