- MD, WVU School of Medicine, 2007
- Nov. 2018. Using DRG weight as a tool to assess comorbidities and complexities associated with twins. American Academy of Pediatrics, National Conference & Exhibition.
- October 2018. Using DRG weight as a tool to assess comorbidities and complexities associated with twins. WV State Rural Health Conference.
- May 2014. Reduction in Red Blood Cell Transfusions and Cost with Use of a Transfusion Guideline in Stable Preterm Infants.Pediatric Academic Societies and Asian Society for Pediatric Research Joint Meeting.Poster presentation.
- May 2014. Primary Cutaneous Aspergillosis in an Extremely Low Birth Weight Infant. West Virginia Chapter of American Academy of Pediatrics. Poster presentation by mentee, Dr. Matthew Akers.
- October 2013. Variations in Methylglyoxal Production in Neonatal Preparations of Packed Red Blood Cells for Transfusion. American Academy of Pediatrics, National Conference and Exhibition, Perinatal Section. Poster presentation.
- May 2013. Proinflammatory Glucose Metabolites in Standard and Washed Packed Red Blood Cells. Indiana University Pediatric Scholars’ Day. Poster presentation.
- October 2012. Glucosuria during Packed Red Blood Cell Transfusion in Preterm Infants. Midwest Society for Pediatric Research. Poster Presentation.
- September 2012. Effect of Adsol-3 Blood Storage Preservative on Hemoglobin A1c Levels in Packed Red Blood Cells. American Academy of Pediatrics, Perinatal Section. Midwest Conference on Perinatal Research. Platform Presentation.
- September 2012. Transfusion-related acute gut injury (TRAGI) in preterm infants. Invited Lecture for the Indiana State Association of Blood Banks.
- May 2010. Educating Somali Families About Routine Vaccines, Acute Viral Illnesses, and Antibiotic Use. Pediatric Academic Societies’ National Meeting, Advocacy Training Special Interest Group and Serving the Underserved Special Interest Group. Platform Presentation.
- May 2010. Maternal Microchimerism in Hirschsprung’s Disease. Pediatric Academic Societies’ National Meeting. Poster Presentation.
- October 2008. Steroids and NSAIDs during ELBW Infants’ First Week of Life: A National Survey. AAP 2008 National Conference and Exhibition, Section on Critical Care Medicine. Poster Presentation.
Original Published Peer-Reviewed Articles
- Malik A, Witsberger E, Cottrell L, Kiefer A, Yossuck P. Perianal Dermatitis, its incidence, and patterns of Topical Therapies in a Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Am J Perinatol Sept. 2017.
- Malik A, Crowder D, Barretto G, Nield L, Kiefer A. Subgaleal hematoma masking fatal complications of cephalohematoma in a preterm infant. Clinical Pediatrics. July 21, 2017.
- Kiefer AS, Fleming T, Eckert G, et al. Methylglyoxal concentrations differ in standard and washed packed red blood cells. Pediatr Res. 2014 March; 75(3): 409-14.
- Kiefer A, Lang T, Hein M, et al. Maternal microchimerism in Hirschsprung’s disease. Am J Perinatol. 2012 Feb; 29(2):71-78.
- Kiefer A, Wickremasinghe A, Johnson J, et al. Medical Management of ELBW Infants in the First Week of Life: A Survey of Current Practices in the United States. Am J Perinatol. 2009 Jun; 26(6): 407-18.
- Kiefer A, Gupta P, Kirmani S et al. Treatment-resistant meningitis leading to the diagnosis of Currarino Syndrome: A case report. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2009 Jun; 28(6): 547-549.
- Starn A & Udall J. Pica, anemia, and restless legs syndrome in a teenage girl. Clin Pediatr. 2008 Jan; 47(1): 83-5.
Non Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Mountaineer Triplets: WVU Medicine NICU physician lives the NICU parent journey. Posted on WVU Medicine website on 8/26/2017. http://wvumedicine.org/news/article/mountaineer-triplets-wvu-medicine-nicu-physician-livesnicu-parent-journey/
Awards and Honors
Breastfeeding Advocacy Recognition 2018
WVU Children’s Hospital Lactation Team
Pediatric Chairman’s Award for Excellence in Research 2017
Pediatric Chairman’s Award for Excellence in Teaching 2017
Selected for NICHD Conference on 2012
This conference fosters the development of young
investigators in research.
Gunnar B. Stickler Award for Excellence in Patient Care 2010
Awarded to an overall outstanding senior pediatric
resident at Mayo Clinic who excels in patient
management and clinical skills
Barbara Bush Distinguished Fellowship Award 2009
Awarded to one resident at Mayo Clinic per year
in recognition of outstanding clinical performance,
humanitarianism, and scholarly activity
About Autumn Kiefer
Dr. Kiefer is a West Virginia native who trained at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and at Indiana University in Indianapolis. She served as the Associate Program Director beginning in 2014, and stepped into the Program Director role in 2017. Her interests are in medical education, patient safety, and applications of medical ethics to clinical practice. Her current research focuses on the health and social impact of neonatal abstinence syndrome. She and her husband Chris, a physician in the Department of Emergency Medicine, are the parents of triplets.
Patient Care Information
- Pediatric Neonatology
- Pediatric - General
- Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
Fellowship, Neonatal and Perinatal Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine, 2013
Residency, Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, 2010