- MD, University of Vermont
1. Gutmann Laurie, Shockcor W, Gutmann Ludwig, Kien L. Intestinal lymphangiectasia with progressive spinocerebellar degeneration due to vitamin E deficiency. Neurology. 1986; 36:554-556.
2. Shockcor W. Prevention of deep venous thrombosis in surgical and medical patients. W Va Med J. 1986; 82(6):173-178.
3. Skaff LA, Shockcor WT, Shane SR. Primary hyperaldosteronism. W V Med J. 1986;82(6):481-485.
4. Brick JE, Shockcor WT. Waning prestige of internal medicine. J Gen Internal Med. 1991;6:588-589.
5. Elnicki DM, Shockcor WT, Brick JE, Beynon D. Evaluating the complaint of fatigue in primary care: diagnosis and outcomes. Amer J Med. 1992;93:303-306.
6. Boyer JL, Shockcor W, Mahl TC. The natural history of primary biliary cirrhosis. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 1992;103:157-163.
7. O'Connor PG, Molde S, Henry S, Shockcor WT, Schottenfeld RS. Human immunodeficiency virus infection in intravenous drug users: a model for primary care. Amer J Med. 1992;93:382-386.
8. Elnicki DM, Shockcor W. Preventing postoperative complications: how primary care physicians can help. Post Grad Med. 1992;92(3):189-202.
9. Shockcor W. The geriatric patient - preoperative evaluation. Audio-Digest. 1992;40(33).
10. Elnicki M, Shockcor W, Morris D, Halbritter K. Creating an Ojective Structured Clinical Examination for the internal medicine clerkship: pitfalls and benefits. Am J Med Sci. 1993;306(2):94-97.
11. Elnicki DM, Halbritter KA, Shockcor WT, Shumway JM, Morris DK. Students' performances of invasive procedures during a medicine clerkship. Acad Med. 1994;68(7):582-583.12. Elnicki DM, Morris DK, Shockcor WT. Patient perceived barriers to preventive health care among indigent rural appalachian patients. Arch Intern Med. 1995;155(4):421-424.
13. Mahl TC, Shockcor W, Boyer JL. Primary biliary cirrhosis: survival in a large cohort followed for 24 years. J Hepatol 1994;20(6):707-713.
14. Elnicki DM, Halperin AK, Shockcor WT, Aronoff SC. Multidisciplinary evidence-based medicine journal clubs: curriculum design and participant=s reactions. Am J Med Sci. 1999;317(4):243-246.
15. Elnicki DM, Shockcor WT, Hobbs G. The reliability and validity of the critically appraised topic exercise as a measure of skill in evidence based medicine. (Submitted Academic Medicine 2002).
Awards and Honors
Bravo Award Process Improvement Team - Patient Throughput, WVUH 2013
Nomination WVU School of Medicine Distinguished Teacher Award 2011
Nomination for Best Attending Physician Award - Medicine, WVU 2010
Nomination for Best Attending Physician Award - Medicine, WVU 2009
Nomination for Best Attending Physician Award - Medicine, WVU 2005
Best Attending Physician Award - Department of Medicine, WVU 2004
Outstanding Off-Service Teaching Attending Award Department of Emergency Medicine, WVU 2003
Nomination for School of Medicine John W. Traubert Award, WVU 2001
Nomination for School of Medicine Distinguished Teacher, WVU 1995
Resident Teaching Award - Department of Family Medicine, WVU 1986
First Place - Clinical Vignette Competition Eastern and Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia ACP Conference 1985
Section of General Medicine Resident Award, WVU 1983
Member American College of Physicians 1983 - Present
Member Sydenham Society 1988 - Present
Member Society of General Internal Medicine, 1985 - 2004
Member American Geriatric Society 1993 - 2001
Member Southern Medical Association 1992 - 1993
Member American Federation for Clinical Research 1990 - 1994
Grants and Research
1. Five year prospective study to demonstrate managed care in a rural setting. My role was Medical Director - education regarding and development of practice guidelines, physician feedback and performance reporting, patient and physician satisfaction assessment. (30% salary support) Source: Agency for Health Care Policy and Research Amount: $ 1,9000,000 Years: 1994-1995
2. Retrospective cohort study to develop a model to predict multiple nosocomial infections in ICU patients. The emphasis is on incorporating clinical comorbidity and severity of illness in the model. PI: William Shockcor MD and Rashida Khakoo, MD Source: NIH Biomedical Research Grant #2S07RR05433, Med Dept, WVU Med Corp Amount: $ 4745 Years: 1992-1993
3. Retrospective cohort study to develop clinical prediction models for perioperative and postoperative medical complications of hip surgery. PI: William Shockcor MD, Mike Elnicki MD, J David Blaha MD Source: Medicine Department WVU Years: 1991-1993
4. Retrospective cohort study to develop a clinical prediction strategy for postoperative complications of knee replacement surgery that utilizes temperature curves. PI: Matthew Darmillio MS-II, William Shockcor MD, J David Blaha MD. Source: WVU SOM Dean's Office Amount: $ 2000 Years: 1992
5. Observer variability study evaluating radiologist interpretation of chest films comparing plain films, images transmitted by analog high definition TV, and images digitally compressed for transmission by high definition TV (MDTV). PI: James Brick MD, John Brick MD, William Shockcor MD. Source: WVUH Enhancing Patient Care Grant. Amount: $ 8000. Years: 1992
6. Retrospective cohort study evaluating bleeding complications of elective hip surgery and physician decision-making. PI: Dylan Deardorff MD, William Shockcor MD Source: Medicine Department WVU Years: 1992
7. Prospective cohort study of physicians, physicians-in-training, and pharmaceutical company representatives measuring the ethical thresholds of interaction between pharmaceutical companies and physicians. PI: William Shockcor MD, Mike Elnicki MD and Alvin Moss MD Source: Medicine Department WVU Years: 1992
8. Prospective cohort study to further characterize barriers to preventive health care in a rural appalachian population. PI: Sandi Manus MS-II, William Shockcor MD, J Prescott MD Source: WVU SOM Dean's Office Amount: $ 2000 Years: 1991
9. Prospective randomized placebo controlled therapeutic trial of alpidem in the setting of an ambulatory medicine clinic. PI: William Shockcor MD, Lori Stahara PAC Source: Lorex Pharmaceutical Inc. Amount: $ 46,250 Years: 1991
10. Prospective long term open label therapeutic trial of alpidem in the outpatient treatment of generalized anxiety disorder PI: William Shockcor MD, Lori Stahara PAC Source: Lorex Pharmaceutical Inc. Amount: $ 20.000 Years: 1991
11. Prospective cohort study to identify barriers to preventive health care in a rural appalachian population. PI Mike Elnicki MD, W Shockcor, MD, V Frey-McClung, MS, B Rodman, RN Source: Medicine Department WVU Years: 1991
Patient Care Information
- Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Residency, Internal Medicine
West Virginia University