- MD, WVU School of Medicine
M. Moreland, L. Nield, R. Powers “Previously Unreported External Ear Pathology Associated with Ear Phone Use in Children”. Clinical Pediatrics; 2016, Oct. 23. PMID 27798392.
K. Peters, R. Gharib, R. Powers “What is Your Diagnosis? Phrynoderma” Cutis 2016 August 96 (2): E4-E6
L. Kline, R. Powers, J. Defazio. “What is Your Diagnosis”? Lepromatous Leprosy. Cutis 2015; 95(1): 19-26
K. Vaughan, Z. Zinn, R. Powers Macerated Foot Dermatitis Related to Occlusive Footwear. WVMedJ 11/12 2013 Vol. 109(6) p 8-9
K. Clark, R. Powers, R. Kovach. An Unusual case of Dermatitis Herpetiformis. Pediatric Dermatology 1-4, 2013. Online advance publication.
R. Powers, O. Djalali, Z. Zinn. Toddler with a Worsening Rash. American Family Physician 2013;87(11) 791-792
A Spiker, Z. Zinn, W.H. Carter, R. Powers, R. Kovach. Fluoroscopy-Induced chronic Radiation Dermatitis. Am. J Cardiol; 2012:110 (12) 1861-1863.
R. Powers, R. Gordon, K. Roberts, K. Kovach. “Symmetrical Drug – Related in tertirinous and Flexural Exanthem Secondary to Topical 5-Fluorouracil. Cutis 2012; 89: 225-228
G. Bohrnstedt, C Johnston, R Powers and R Kovach. “A Case Report: Adult-Onset Still’s Disease.” Journal of the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology 19 (1) February 2011: 10-1
M Hazey, A VanNorman, R Powers D Armistead. Multiple Congenital Multiple Plaquelike Glomuvenous Malformations With Type 2 Segmental Involvement. Cutis 2009;84(1):16-18. Selected for cover article.
Davisson L, Clark K, Powers R, Hobbs G. The rectovaginal examination: physician attitudes and practice patterns. Southern Medical Journal 99(3): Mar 2006; 212-215.
R Powers and M Fisher. “Mycobacterium Marinum Tenosynovitis and Cellulitis.” Images in Medicine, NEJM.2004;351 (9): 911.
HC Palmer, A Halperin, M Elnicki, R Powers, M Kolar, K Evans, K Anderson. “The Effects of Implementing a Patient Care Partnership Project on Cost and Quality of Care at an Academic Teaching Hospital Teaching Hospital. Southern Medical Journal, 95(11): Nov 2002; 1318-1325.
RT Chlebowski, N Col, EP Winter et al. “American Society of Clinical Oncology Technology Assessment of Pharmacologic Interventions for Breast Cancer Risk Reduction Including Tamoxifen, Raloxifene, and Aromatase Inhibition.” J Clin Onc. 2002;20:15; 3328-3343.
RL Powers. Fibromyalgia An Age Old Malady Begging for Respect. JGIM 1993;93-105.
MD Schwartz, M Linzer, D Babbot, et al. Medical Student Interest in Internal Medicine. Initial Report of the SGIM Interest Group Survey on Factors Influencing Career Choice in Internal Medicine. Ann Intern Med 1991;114:6-15.
TE Finucane, JM Shumway, RL Powers, RM D'Alessandri.
Planning with Elderly Outpatients for Contingencies of Severe Illness A Survey and Clinical Trial. JGIM 1988;3322-325.
RL Powers and T Cooley. Relapsing Polychondritis Review and Case Report", WV Med. J., Feb. 1983.
RL Powers. Carcino Embryonic Antigen and Polyposis Coli. WV Med. J., Jan 1975.
2016-2017 Bravo Award. Press Ganey Highest Performing Clinic
2016 Selected Top Doctor Dermatology “Who’s Who”
2016 WVU Medicine, Press Ganey Top Provider for
2015-2017 Selected, “Best Doctors in America”
2015-2016 Selected, “Best Doctors in America”
2013-2014 Selected, “Best Doctors in America”
2012-2013 Selected, “Best Doctors in America”
2011-2012 Selected, “Best Doctors in America”
2009-2010 Selected, “Best Doctors in America”
2008 Selected, “America’s Top Dermatologists”
2007 – 2008 Selected, “Best Doctors in America”
2002 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Clinical Service
1998 Woodward/White, Inc. “Best Doctors in America.”
1997 - 1998 Department of Medicine “Outstanding Faculty”
1997 Selected to serve as P.O.W. Attending at Residents’ Morning Report
1995 - 1996 Department of Medicine “Outstanding Faculty”
1996 - 1997 Chosen for The Best Doctors in America: Midwest Region
1987 - 1988 Department of Medicine "Outstanding Faculty"
1975 - present Alpha Omega Alpha
July, 2005-present Fellow – American Academy of Dermatology
July, 1991-present Fellow - American College of Physicians
About Roxann Powers
Roxann Powers MD is currently a Professor of Medicine in the Section of Dermatology in the WVU Department of Medicine. She graduated from the WVU School of Medicine in 1976. She completed a residency in Internal Medicine at WVU( 1976-1978) and Bowman Gray Department of Internal Medicine in 1979, becoming a Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine that same year. She served as faculty in General Internal Medicine at the WVU School of Medicine from 1079 until 2002. She completed a Dermatology Residency at WVU in 2002, obtaining Diplomate status with the American Board of Dermatology in 2005 and again in 2015.
Grants and Research
1. Raptiva® Epidemiologic Study of Psoriasis Outcomes and Safety Events (RESPONSE) in Patients with Chronic Moderate to Severe Psoriasis. D Armistead – Principal Investigator. R Powers – Principal Investigator Genentech – Sponsor 2007.
2. Enhanced Patient Care Grant Program. WVUH. “The Impact of a Pharmacist-Managed Hyperlipidemia Program on Patient Outcomes and Satisfaction with Care”. T Whetsel, R Powers. Co-investigator. Funded $10, 551.55. 2001 - 2002
3. Enhanced Patient Care Grant - “Healthcare Workers Attitudes and Utilization of the Influenza Vaccine”. K Clark, W Shockcor, R Layne, L Stark, R Powers, C See. 2000 - 2001
4. Enhanced Patient Care Grant Program. WVUH. “Will the Creation of a Clinical Pathway for Community Acquired Pneumonia with Emphasis on Obtaining Sputum for Gram’s Stain at the Time of Presentation Lead to Improved Outcome?” R Powers, M Elnicki Funded $9,685.78 1999-2001.
5. Enhanced Patient Care Grant Program. WVUH. “Impact of Consultants Response Time on Patient Care and Length of Stay” $10,038.00 1998-2000
6. WV Bureau of Public Health's Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Program (CDC). Site Coordinator 1993 - present.
7. Ischemic Optic Neuropathy Decompression Trial. National Eye Institute. Study Internist 1993.
8. Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Efficacy Study of Three Dose Levels of Alpidem in Outpatients with Non-Psychotic Anxiety (American Pharmaceutical Research Corp) Co-Investigator 1992
9. "A Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel Group Study Comparing the Efficacy and Safety of Placebo Bisoprolol 5 mg, Bisoprolol 5 mg + HCTZ 6.25 and HCTZ 25 mg Given Once Daily in Patients with Mild to Moderate Essential Hypertension" (American Cyanamid Company). Principal Investigator 1990-1991.
10. Comparison of Cefpodoxime Proxetil Oral Suspension and Penicillin V Potassium Oral Suspension in the Treatment of Acute Streptococcal Pharyngitis/Tonsillitis in Infants and Children. UpJohn Pharmaceuticals 1989-1990. Co-Investigator.
11. Primary Care Training Grant in General Internal Medicine and Medicine/Pediatrics. Department of Health and Human Services. Funded 7/84 - 7/87. Refunded 7/87 - 7/90. Program Coordinator 7/84 - 7/89. Project Director 7/89 - 6/90.
12. Improvement of Screening Practices Through Patient Involvement. NCI Small Grant. Co-principal investigator 9/87 - 5/89.
13. Pseudomonic Acid Study (Beechem) Evaluation of new topical Antibiotic. Co-Investigator 84-85
14. Heparin Study (UpJohn) comparison of Pork & Beef Heparin. Co-Investigator 83-84
Patient Care Information
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Dermatology, American Board of Dermatology
West Virginia University
Residency, Internal Medicine
Bowman Gray School of Medicine
Residency, Internal Medicine
West Virginia University