- MD, WVU School of Medicine
Original Published Peer-Reviewed Articles
PUBLICATIONS - Clinical and Laboratory Research:
- Sweet CB, Grayson S, Polak M. Management Strategies for Neonatal Hypoglycemia. The Journal of
Pediatric Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 18:199-208, 2013 [PMID: 24052783]
- Kumar T, Vaughan R, Polak MJ. A proposed classification for the spectrum of vanishing
gastroschisis. European Journal of Pediatric Surgery 23: 72-75, 2013. [PMID: 23172564]
- Montgomery-Downs HE, Young ME, Ross MA, Polak MJ, Ritchie SK, Lynch SK. Sleep-Disordered
Breathing Symptoms Frequency and Growth Among Prematurely Born Infants. Sleep Medicine. 11:
263-267, 2010. [PMID: 20022298]
- Mola S, Graeber J, Polak M, Yossuck P. Is Friday the Busiest Day for Late Preterm Delivery? West
Virginia Medical Journal 106: pp10-13, 2010 [PMID: 21739879]
- Lynch SK, Mullett MD, Graeber JE, Polak MJ. A Comparison of Albumin Bolus Therapy versus Normal
Saline Bolus Therapy for Hypotension in Neonates J Perinatology 28: 29-33, 2008. [PMID: 17989698]
- Greco LA, Heffner M, Poe S, Ritchie SK, Polak M, Lynch SK. Parental Adjustment following Pre-term
Birth: Contributions of Experiential Avoidance, Child Temperament, and Perceived Social Support.
Behavior Therapy 36:177-184, 2005.
- Lynch SK, Lemley KV, Polak MJ. The Effect of Dopamine on Glomerular Filtration Rate in
Normotensive, O iguric Premature Neonates. Pediatric Nephrology. 18:649-52,
2003. [PMID: 12750981]
- Polak MJ, Xiao S, Ashton CA, Baylis C. NMDA Alters the Development of Hypoxic Pulmonary
Vasoconstriction (HPV), and Nitric Oxide Synthetase Activity (NOS) in the Isolated Perfused Rat
Lung. Exp. Lung Res. 28: 251-263, 2002.[PMID: 11936777]
- Mullett CJ, Polak MJ. Vasoreactivity of Fluosol (perfluorocarbon) vs. Earl’s balanced
salt/albumin perfusate in the isolated perfused rat lung. Art. Cells, Blood Sub. and Immob.
Biotech. 23: 449-457, 1995. [PMID: 7493066]
- Polak MJ, Taylor DA. Functional ontogeny of pulmonary vascular DA1 dopamine receptors in the
isolated perfused rabbit lung. Pediatr. Res. 35: 228-232, 1994 [PMID: 7909367]
- Polak MJ, Drummond WH. Systemic and pulmonary vascular effects of selective dopamine (DA1)
receptor blockade in lambs. Pediatr. Res. 33: 181-184, 1993. [PMID: 8094550]
- Polak MJ, Knight ME, Andresen T, DeSena C. The effects of hyperoxia and beta- adrenergic
stimulation on pulmonary surfactant in neonatal rabbits. Exp. Lung Res. 18: 373-384, 1992 [PMID:
- Mullett CJ, Kong JQ, Romano JT, Polak MJ. Age related changes in pulmonary venous epinephrine
concentration, and pulmonary vascular response after intratracheal epinephrine. Pediatr. Res. 31:
458-461, 1992 [PMID: 1603623]
- Polak MJ, Romano JT, Taylor D. Interaction of atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP) with peripheral
dopaminergic (DA1) receptors in preconstricted isolated perfused rat lungs. J. Cardiovasc. Pharm.
19: 876-882, 1992 [PMID: 1376807]
- Polak MJ, Kennedy LA, Drummond WH. Manipulation of dopamine receptors alters hypoxic pulmonary
vasoconstriction in isolated perfused rat lungs. Life Sci. 51: 1317- 1323, 1992. [PMID: 1357520]
- Knight ME, McGehee C, Polak MJ, Andresen TA. Effect of hyperoxia on 5-HT uptake in neonatal
rabbit lungs. Pulm. Pharmacol. 4: 151-157, 1991. [PMID: 1821173]
- Polak MJ, Donnelly WH, Bucciarelli RL. Comparison of airway pathologic lesions after
high-frequency jet or conventional ventilation. A.J.D.C. 143: 228-232, 1989; (Lesions des voies
aeriennes apres jet-ventilation a haute frequence et apres ventilation conventionnelle. A.J.D.C.
edition Francaise 8: 138-144, 1989).[ PMID: 2916497]
- Drummond WH, Gause GE, Polak MJ, Cassin S. Ethanol induces acute pulmonary vasoconstriction in
salt-perfused rat lungs. Exp. Lung Res. 15: 447-458, 1989. [PMID: 2743952]
- Polak MJ, Knight ME, Gause GE, Bucciarelli RL, Drummond WH. Effect of fenoldopam on
preconstricted isolated salt-perfused rat lungs. J. Appl. Physiol. 67: 1076-1080, 1989. [PMID:
- Liechty EA, Polak MJ, Lemons JA. Branched chain amino acid carbon and nitrogen balance across the
fetal hindlimb. Pediatr. Res. 21: 44-48, 1987. [PMID: 3797133]
PUBLICATIONS – Multicenter, Collaborative Clinical Research:
- Dunn MS, Kaempf J, de Klerk A, de Klerk R, Reilly M, Howard D, Ferrelli K, O'Conor J, Soll RF;
for the Vermont Oxford Network DRM Study Group. Randomized Trial Comparing 3 Approaches to the
Initial Respiratory Management of Preterm Neonates.
Pediatrics 128:e1069-e1076. 2011. [PMID: 22025591]
- Clark RM, The Near-Term Respiratory Failure Research Group. The Epidemiology of Respiratory
Failure in Neonates Who Were Born at an Estimated Gestational Age of 34 Weeks or More. J Perinatol
25: 251-257, 2005. [PMID: 15605071]
PUBLICATIONS – Industry Sponsored Clinical Research:
- Mahadevia PJ, Masaquel AJ, Polak MJ, Weiner LB. Cost Utility of Palivizumab Prophylaxis Among
Preterm Infants in the United States: A National Policy Perspective J Medical Economics 15:
987-996, 2012. [PMID: 22574798]
- Weiner LB, Anthony S. Masquel AS, Polak MJ, Mahadevia PL. Cost-effectiveness of Palivizumab Among
Various Preterm Infant Populations Covered by Medicaid in the United States. J Medical Economics.
15:1-22, 2012. [PMID: 22435648]
- Carbonell X, Simoes E, Dagan R, Hall C, & the Motavizumab Study Group. Motavizumab for
Respiratory Syncytial Virus prophylaxis of high risk children: a noninferioirty trial. Pediatrics.
125; e35-e51, 2010 [PMID: 20008423].
- Abarca K, Jung E, Fernández P, Zhao L, Harris B, Connor EM, Losonsky GA for the Motavizumab Study
Group. Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics, and Immunogenicity of Motavizumab, a Humanized,
Enhanced-Potency Monoclonal Antibody for the Prevention of Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection in
At-Risk Children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 4:267-72. 2009. [PMID: 19258920]
- DeJonge M, Burchfield, Bloom B, Duenas M, Walker W, Polak M, Jung E, Millard D, Schelonka Eyal F,
Morris A, Kapik B, Roberson D, Kesler K, Patti J, Hetherington S. A Phase III, Randomized,
Double-Blind, Multi-Center Clinical Trial Comparing the Safety and Efficacy of Veronate versus
Placebo for the Prevention of Nosocomial Staphylococcal Sepsis in Premature Infants (Birth Weight
500–1250 g). J Pediatr.
151:260-5, 2007. [PMID: 17719934]
- the Infasurf® - Survanta® Clinical Trial Group. Comparison of Infasurf® to Survanta® in the
Prevention and Treatment of Respiratory Distress Syndrome in Preterm Infants.
Pediatrics 116: 392-399, 2005. [PMID: 16061594]
- the IMpact-RSV Study Group. Palivizumab, a humanized respiratory syncytial virus monoclonal
antibody, reduces hospitalization from respiratory syncytial virus infection in high risk infants.
Pediatrics 102: 531-537, 1998. [PMID: 9738173]
- the PREVENT Study Group. Reduction of respiratory syncytial virus hospitalization among premature
infants and infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia using respiratory syncytial virus immune
globulin prophylaxis. Pediatrics 99: 93-99, 1997. [PMID: 8989345]
PUBLICATIONS - Case Reports, etc:
- Yossuck P, Williams JH, Polak MJ and Vaughan R. Oropharyngeal tumor in the newborn: a case
report. Neonatology 91:69-72, 2007 [PMID: 17344655]
- Wood L, Polak MJ. The Butterfly Technique for Insertion of Umbilical Vessel Catheters. Pediatric
Consultant 5: 93-95, 2006
- Polak MJ, Fazi L. Right sided endotracheal intubation: An alternative method for neonates.
neonatal Intensive Care 6: 31-33, 1993. [PMID: 10148084]
- Lynch SK, Polak MJ. Index of Suspicion: Early onset GBS mimics neonatal RDS. Pediatr. in Rev.
13: 435-437, 1992. [PMID: 1289874]
- Mason T, Polak MJ, Pyles L, Mullett M, Swanke C. Treatment of neonatal renovascular hypertension
with intravenous enalapril. Am. J. Perinatol. 9: 252-255, 1992.[PMID: 1627214]
- Moeschler JB, Polak MJ, Amato RS, Jenkins J. The Johanson-Blizzard syndrome: A second report of
full autopsy findings. Am. J. Med. Genet. 26: 133-138, 1987.[PMID: 3812553]
- Polak, MJ. Neonatal Transition, & Physiologic Basis of Fetal Development. In: Wu M, He Q,
Mullett, MD, eds., Perinatal Asphyxia People’s Medical Publishing House, Beijing, PRC. 2008.
- Polak MJ, Bucciarelli RL. Congenital heart disease. In: Koff PB, Eitzman DV, Neu J, eds., Ne
natal and Pediatric Respiratory Care C.V. Mosby, St. Louis, M.O. 1992. pp.
Magna Cum Laude, Wheeling College, 1978.
Ross Pediatric Research Award, WVU Department of Pediatrics. 1990. Outstanding Resident Teaching
Award, WVU Department of Pediatrics. 1991-1992. Dean’s Award of Clinical Excellence. Awarded to the
Section of Neonatology. 2005
WVU Children’s Hospital Recognition Award. February 2012.
About Mark Polak
Dr. Polak is a Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, and chief of the Section of Neonatology at the West Virginia University School of Medicine. He has been on faculty at WVU since 1988. He is the senior attending in the NICU at WVU Children’s Hospital. Dr. Polak received his medical degree from West Virginia University. He completed his pediatric residency at West Virginia University. He completed his fellowship in neonatal and perinatal medicine at the Shand’s Hospital at the University of Florida College of Medicine in Gainesville, Florida. He has authored more than 80 publications, book chapters, and abstracts about research topics including respiratory disease, neonatology, and pulmonary hemodynamics. He has been active in clinical research endeavors. A member of the Society for Pediatric Research, Dr Polak is also a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and is active in the Perinatal, and the Administration and Practice Management Subsections.
Patient Care Information
- Pediatric Neonatology
- General Pediatrics
- Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
West Virginia University Hospitals; WVU School of Medicine, 1985
Fellowship, Neonatal/Perinatal Medicine
University of Florida College of Medicine, 1987