Assistant Dean for CME
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Medical Education
- Clinical Faculty
Assistant Dean for Continuing Medical Education
- West Virginia University Health Sciences Center
- Continuing Education
Professor of Medicine
Director, Global Health Program
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- MD, Pennsylvania State University
- MSc, Harvard School of Public Health
1. Blachere F, Lindsley W, Pearce T, Anderson S, Fisher MA, Khakoo R, Meade B, Lander O, Davis S, Thewlis R, Celik I, Chen B, Beezhold D. Measurement of Airborne Influenza Virus in a Hospital Emergency Department. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 15 February 2009. 48:438-40.
2. Ahmad S, Fisher MA. A Young Male with Sudden Onset Left-Sided Weakness. WV Med. Journal. 2010. May-June; 106(3):16.8.
3. Lindsley W, Blanchere F, Davis K, Pearce T, Fisher MA, Khakoo R, Davis S, Rogers, M, Thewlis, R, Posada, J, Redrow, J, Celik, I, Chen, B, Beezhold, D. Distribution of airborne influenza virus and respiratory syncytial virus in an urgent care medical clinic. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 1 March 2010. 50:693-698.
4. Lindsley W, Blanchere F, Thewlis R, Vishnu A, Davis K, Cao G, Palmer J, Clark K, Fisher M, Khakoo R, Beezhold D.(2011): Measurements of airborne influenza virus in aerosol particles from human coughs. PloS One 5(11): e15100. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0015100.
5. Lindsley W, Pearce T, Hudnall J, Davis K, Davis S, Fisher M, Khakoo R, Palmer J, Clark K, Celik I, Coffey C, Blanchere F, Beezhold D (2012): Quantity and Size Distribution of Cough - Generated Aerosol Particles Produced by Influenza Patients During and After Illness, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 9:7, 443-449.
6. Bhandari, R, Hartley TA, Lindsley WG, Fisher MA, Palmer, JE. Assessing Healthcare Utilization for Influenza – like Illness at an Emergency Department and a Student Health Service during the 2009-2010 H1N! Pandemic. Infectious Diseases: Research and Treatment 2013 (6): 15-23.
7. Knutsen DA, Roidad N, Sarwari AR, Coombs, T, Fisher MA, HIV/AIDS Patient Migration in North Central West Virginia. West Virginia Med Jour, July 1, 2013. ISSN: 0043-3284.
8. Korir, A., Mauti, N., Moats, P., Gurka, M.J., Mutuma, G., Metheny, C., Mwamba, P.M., Oyiro, P.O., Fisher, M., Ayers, L.W., Rochford, R., Mwanda, W.O., and Remick, S.C. Developing clinical strength-of-evidence approach to define HIV-associated malignancies for cancer registration in Kenya. PLOS ONE 9 (1):e 85881.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0085881. January 23, 2014.
9. Alaan K., Fisher M., Ellis B., Cat Scratch Diseases of the Eye: A Case Report and Literature Review. West Virginia Med Jour, Sept/Oct. 2014, vol. 110, No 5, p 16-18.
10. Singh, S., Parker, D, Mark-Carew, M., White 2nd, R., & Fisher, M. Lyme Disease in West Virginia: An Assessment of Distribution and Clinicians’ Knowledge of Disease and Surveillance. West Virginia Med Journal, July-August 2016 112(4), 48. PMID 27491103.
11. Davis, S., Daily, S., Kristjansson, A., Kelley, G., Zullig, K., Baus, A., Davidov, D., Fisher, M. Needle exchange programs for the prevention of hepatitis C virus infection in people who inject drugs: a systemic review with meta-analysis. Harm Reduction Journal (2017), 14:25. PMID: 28514954
2000 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Education
2000-present Councilor, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
2000 John W. Traubert Award for Excellence in Teaching
2001 Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
2003 Nominated for Outstanding Teacher Award, WVU School of Medicine
2006 Outstanding Teacher Award, Department of Medicine, Robert C. Byrd
Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University
2007 Distinguished Teacher of the Year, WVU School of Medicine
2007 Community Service Award, Department of Medicine, Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University
2008 Nominated for WVU Foundation Award for Outstanding Teaching
2009 Elected Associate Member of Mountain Honorary at West Virginia University
2009 Inducted as Member of the Academy of Excellence in Teaching and Learning at Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center
2009 2009 Women in Science and Health (WISH) Excellence Award
2010 WVU School of Medicine Alumni Association Percival L. MacLachlan Award for excellence in teaching basic sciences
2010 Clinician of the Year Award from the Morgantown Campus Senior Class in recognition of excellence in clinical teaching
2010 Nominated for the 2010 Charles C. Shephard Science Award by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry for being a member of the team conducting the study entitled, “Measurement of airborne influenza virus in a hospital emergency department.” (Published in Clinical Infectious Diseases 2009.)
2011 Selected in the West Virginia University School of Medicine Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS).
2012 Outstanding Teacher Award, Dept. of Medicine
2014 Outstanding Teacher Award, Dept. of Medicine
About Melanie Fisher
Dr. Melanie Ann Fisher is currently Professor of Medicine, Assistant Dean of Continuing Education, Director of Global Health and Tropical Medicine Program. She received her MD degree from the Pennsylvania State College of Medicine. She completed her residency at West Virginia School of Medicine and her fellowship in Infectious Diseases at the University of Pennsylvania. She received her Masters of Science degree in Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.
She is a well-known and highly respected educator. She has received numerous awards for her teaching. She is very learner-centered and has had leadership roles in enhancing education. She is a well-respected, dedicated, highly motivated, kind and compassionate clinician. She is very patient-centered, a role model for learners. She has received the Laureate Award from the American College of Physicians and also has been elected to Mastership.
She has created many innovative programs including Global Health Track for medical students and global health opportunities for residents. She has volunteered on an ongoing basis providing care to marginalized populations. She has been inducted into the Gold Humanism Society.
She has presented abstracts and has had publications in refereed journals. She has been an author or co-author of book chapters and co-editor of the book “Understanding Global Health.”
Grants and Research
Patient Care Information
- Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Diseases, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Other Speciality Training, Medical School: Epidemiology
Harvard School of Public Health