PO Box 9162
Department of Medicine
Section of Hematology/Oncology
2nd Floor HSCN Rm 2826
- View Website
Physician-in-Chief of Oncology
- WVU Cancer Institute Clinics
- Clinical Faculty
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Hematology / Oncology
Director of the Hematopoietic Malignancy and Bone Marrow Transplant Service
- Alexander B. Osborn Hematopoietic Malignancy and Transplantation Program Clinical Service
- WVU Cancer Institute Research Programs
- MD, West Virginia University
Ten Most Recent:
Effect of bendamustine in combination with rituximab on QT interval duration in patients with advanced de novo indolent non-Hodgkin or mantle cell lymphoma.
Burke JM, van der Jagt RH, Flinn IW, Craig MD, Chen L, Morganroth J, Munteanu MC, MacDonald DA.
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2015;76(1):211-216.
A Phase I study of midostaurin and azacitidine in relapsed and ederly AML patients.
Cooper BW, Kindwall-Keller TL, Craig M, Creger RJ, Hamadani M, Tse WW, Lazarus HM.
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2015;15(7):428-432.
Superior serum concentrations with posaconazole delayed-release tablets compared to suspension formulation in hematological malignancies.
Cumpston AD, Caddell R, Shillingburg A, Lu X, Wen S, Hamadani M, Craig M, Kanate AS.
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59(8):4424-4428.
Ileal mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma presenting with small bowel obstruction: a case report.
Kinkade Z, Esan OA, Rosado FG, Craig M, Vos JA.
Diagn Pathol. 2015;10:105
Vosaroxin plus cytarabine versus placebo plus cytarabine in patients with first relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukaemia (VALOR): a randomised, controlled, double-blind, multinational, phase 3 study.
Ravandi F, Ritchie EK, Sayar H, Lancet JE, Craig MD, Vey N, Strickland SA, Schiller GJ, Jabbour E, Erba HP, Pigneux A, Horst HA, Recher C, Klimek VM, Cortes J, Roboz GJ, Odenike O, Thomas X, Havelange V, Maertens J, Derigs HG, Heuser M, Damon L, Powell BL, Gaidano G, Carella AM, Wei A, Hogge D, Craig AR, Fox JA, Ward R, Smith JA, Acton G, Mehta C, Stuart RK, Kantarjian HM.
Lancet Oncol. 2015;16(9):1025-1036.
Hematopoietic progenitor cell mobilization with "just-in-time" plerixafor approach is a cost-effective alternative to routine plerixafor use.
Veltri L, Cumpston AD, Shillingburg AS, Wen S, Luo J, Leadmon S, Watkins K, Craig M, Hamadani M, Kanate AS.
Phase II study of bortezomib in combination with rituximab, cyclophosphamide and prednisone with or without doxorubicin followed by rituximab maintenance in patients with relapsed or refractory follicular lymphoma.
Craig M, Hanna WT, Cabanillas F, Chen CS, Esseltine DL, Neuwirth R, O'Connor OA.
Br.J Haematol. 2014;166(6):920-928.
Randomized trial of bendamustine-rituximab or R-CHOP/R-CVP in first-line treatment of indolent NHL or MCL: the BRIGHT study.
Flinn IW, van der Jagt R, Kahl BS, Wood P, Hawkins TE, Macdonald D, Hertzberg M, Kwan YL, Simpson D, Craig M, Kolibaba K, Issa S, Clementi R, Hallman DM, Munteanu M, Chen L, Burke JM.
Predictors and impact of thirty-day readmission on patient outcomes and health care costs after reduced-toxicity conditioning allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation.
Rauenzahn S, Truong Q, Cumpston AD, Goff L, Leadmon S, Evans K, Zhang J, Wen S, Craig M, Hamadani M, Kanate AS.
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2014;20(3):415-420.
Impact of the duration of antiviral prophylaxis on rates of varicella-zoster virus reactivation disease in autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation recipients.
Truong Q, Veltri L, Kanate AS, Hu Y, Craig M, Hamadani M, Cumpston AD.
Ann Hematol. 2014;93(4):677-682.
Honors and Awards
2016 Faculty of the Year, WVU Cancer Institute
2016 Press Ganey Top Provider, Outpatient
2015 Press Ganey Top Provider, Inpatient
2015 WVU Cancer Center Award of Excellence, Service
2014 Inducted into Gold Humanism Society, WVU School of Medicine
2014 Performance Improvement Team Award, Exemplary Outcomes
2014 Press Ganey, Top Provider, WVU, Outpatient
2013 American Society of Hematology, Advocacy Leadership Institute
2013 Press Ganey, Top Provider, WVU Hospital
2012 Highest Inpatient Satisfaction, WVU Hospital
2012 Press Ganey, Top Provider, WVU Hospital
2011 Elected Treasurer, WV Oncology Society
2011 Exemplary Outcomes, Press Ganey, WVU Hospital
2010 Quality Award Honoree, WVU Hospital
2010 Honor Graduate Alumnus, Rotary Club, WV
2009 Clinician of the Year, Department of Medicine
2009 Teacher of the Year, Department of Medicine
2009 ‘Be Amazing’ Award, Blood and Marrow Transplantation
2009 Best in Class, West Virginia University Hospital
2007 Top Ten Employee, Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center
2004 Chief Fellow
2003 Fellow of the Year Award, Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center
2003 STAR award winner, West Virginia University Hospitals
2002 Fellow of the Year Award, Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center
2000 Alpha Omega Alpha
American Society of Hematology
American Society of Hematology Practice Partnership
American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation
West Virginia Oncology Society
Alexander B. Osborn Hematopoietic Malignancy and Transplantation Program
Grants and Research
Investigator Initiated Clinical Trials
1. Use of Cord Blood Transplantation in Adults with Advanced Hematologic Malignancy or Bone Marrow Failure (PI).
2. Phase II Study of Atorvastatin, Micro-dose Methotrexate and Tacrolimus Administered only to Transplant Recipients for the Prophylaxis of Graft vs. Host Disease Following Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation (co-PI, completed)
3. A Phase II Study Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of Atrovastatin for the Prophylaxis of Acute Graft vs. Host Disease in Patients Undergoing Matched Sibling Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation (co-PI, Completed)
Cooperative Group Clinical Trials (Local PI, open trials)
1. BMT CTN 1101: A Multi-Center, Phase III, Randomized Trial of Reduced Intensity (RIC) Conditioning and Transplantation of Double Unrelated Umbilical Cord Blood (dUCB) versus HLA-Haploidentical Related Bone Marrow (haplo-BM) for Patients with Hematologic Malignancies
2. BMT CTN 1102: A Multi-Center Assignment Trial Comparing Reduces Intensity Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplant to Hypomethylating Therapy or Best Supportive Care in Patients Age 50 or Older with Intermediate -2 and High Risk Myelodysplastic Syndrome
Cooperative Group Clinical Trials (Local PI- completed)
1. E2906: Phase III Randomized Trial of Clofarabine as Induction and Post-Remission Therapy vs. Standard Daunorubicin and Cytarabine Induction and Intermediate Dose Cytarabine Post-Remission Therapy, Followed by Decitabine Maintenance vs. Observation in Newly-Diagnosed Acute Myeloid Leukemia in Older Adults.
2. CALGB 50904: A Randomized Phase II Trial of Ofatumumab and Bendamustine versus Ofatumumab, Bortezomib and Bendamustine in Patients with Untreated Follicular Lymphoma.
3. ECOG 2905: A Phase III Trial Comparing Lenolidomide to Lenolidomide and Procrit in Low and Intermediate Risk Myelodysplasia with Anemia.
4. BMT CTN 09-PLEX: Phase II Study Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of Subcutaneous Plerixafor for the Mobilization and Transplantation of HLA-Matched Sibling Donor Hematopoietic Stem Cells in Recipients with Hematologic Malignancies
5. BMT CTN 1205. Easy-to-Read Informed Consent (ETRIC) for Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation Clinical Trials
6. SWOG 0324: A Phase IIb Study of Molecular Responses to Imatinib at Standard or Increased Doses, or Dasatinib for Previously Untreated Patients with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia in Chronic Phase.
7. AMC-048: Prospective Phase II Study of High Dose, Short Course Regimen R-CODOX-M/IVAC) Including CND Penetration and Intensive IT Prophylaxis in HIV-Associated Burkitt’s and Atypical Burkitt’s Lymphoma.
8. ECOG 1904: A Phase II Study of MOAD with Subcutaneous Campath (NSC 715969) for Adults with Relapsed or Refractory Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia.
9. ECOG 2902: A Phase II Study of Farnesyl Transferase Inhibitor R115777 in Acute Myeloid Leukemia Patients in Second or Subsequent Remission or in Remission after Primary Induction Failure or Patients over Age 60 in First Remission.
10. CALGB 10603: A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind Study of Induction and Consolidation Chemotherapy + Midostaurin or Placebo in Newly Diagnosed Patients <60 Years of Age with FLT3 Mutated Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
11. ECOG S0521: A Randomized Phase III Trial of Maintenance vs. Observation for Patients with Previously Untreated Low and Intermediate Risk Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia.
12. BMT CTN 0901: A Randomized, Multi-Center, Phase III Study of Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation Comparing Regimen Intensity in Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome or Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
13. S0805: Phase II Study of Combination hyper-CVAD and Dasatinib With or Without Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation in Patients with Philadelphia (Ph) Chromosome Positive or bcr/abl Positive Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
14. CALGB 10404: A Randomized Phase II Study of Three Fludarabine/ Antibody Combinations for Patients with Symptomatic Untreated Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
15. CALGB 50604: Phase II Trial of Response-Adopted Chemotherapy Based on Positron Emission Tomography for Stage III and IV Hodgkin Lymphoma using Early Interim FDG-PET Imaging.
16. CALGB 50604: Phase II Trial of Response-Adopted Chemotherapy Based on Positron Emission Tomography for Non-Bulky Stage I and II Hodgkin Lymphoma.
Patient Care Information
- Cancer / Oncology
- Medical Oncology (Cancer)
- Hematological Malignancies and Stem Cell Transplant
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Hematology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Residency, Internal Medicine
WVU Department of Medicine
WVU Department of Medicine
Fellowship, Blood & Marrow Transplantation