PO Box 9162
Department of Medicine
Section of Hematology/Oncology
2nd Floor Cancer Center Rm 2812
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Hematology / Oncology
Cancer Center Clinic (MBRCC)
- MD, George Washington University
1. Chi A, Wen S, Monga M, Almubarak M, He X, Rojanasakul Y, Tse W, Remick SC. Definitive Upfront Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy Combined with Image-Guided, Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IG-IMRT) or IG-IMRT Alone for Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. 2016 Sep 9;11(9):e0162453. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0162453. eCollection 2016.
2. Riedel H, Almubarak M. Non-small cell lung adenocarcinoma problem-based learning case: Monia P. Neu. MedEdPORTAL Publications. 2015;11:10198
3. Smolkin MB, Almubarak M, Perrotta PL.Trends in Lung Cancer Molecular Testing. W V Med J. 2015 Sep-Oct;111(5):40-5. Review.
4. Nadpara PA, Madhavan SS, Tworek C, Sambamoorthi U, Hendryx M, Almubarak M. Guideline-concordant lung cancer care and associated health outcomes among elderly patients in the United States.J Geriatr Oncol. 2015 Mar;6(2):101-10. doi: 10.1016/j.jgo.2015.01.001. Epub 2015 Jan 17.
5. Khimani F, Curley B, Almubarak M. Survey of Patients Referred to a University Cancer Center for Benign Hematology: Quality Measures and Patient Understanding. J Oncol Pract. 2015 Jan;11(1):26-9. doi: 10.1200/JOP.2014.001543. Epub 2014 Nov 18
6. Khimani F, Curley B, Almubarak M. Survey of Patients Referred to a University Cancer Center for Benign Hematology: Quality Measures and Patient Understanding. Journal of Oncology Practice (Accepted for publication in Aug 2014).
7. Chi A, Nguyen NP, Welsh JS, Tse W, Monga M, Oduntan O, Almubarak M, Rogers J, Remick SC, Gius D. Strategies of dose escalation in the treatment of locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer: image guidance and beyond. Front Oncol. 2014 Jun 20;4:156. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2014.00156.
8. Smolkin M, Almubarak M Perrotta P. Trends in Lung Cancer Molecular Testing. West Virginia Medical Journal. Pending publication.
9. Curley B, Thomas R, Curley A, Truong Q, Culp M, Hu Y, Almubarak M. Patient understanding and impression of hematology/oncology fellows. Am J Med Sci. 2014 Sep; 348(3):262-4.
10. Almubarak M, Abraham J. Research highlights: highlights from the latest articles in cancer immunotherapy. Immunotherapy. 2012 May;4(5):473-5. Improvement in survival by activated immunotherapy in advanced melanoma. Autologous cellular immunotherapy for castration-resistant prostate cancer. Idiotype vaccine personalizes the treatment of follicular lymphoma.
11. Govardhanan Nagaiah, Mohammed Almubarak. QOPI®: A Fellow’s Perspective. ASCO connection. May 2012.
12. Mohammed Almubarak. From the Oncologist’s Perspective: ALK inhibitors: a major step in the right direction. Community Oncology. 2010 Oct: 444.
13. Mohammed Almubarak. Jame Abraham, MD. Achieving Career Success in Academic Oncology. Oncology Fellows. 2010 Aug: 22-24.
14. Mohammed Almubarak, Michael Newton Pharm D. Novel and Targeted Agents for Gastrointestinal Tumors. Emerging Cancer Therapeutics. 2010: 179–188.
15. Govardhanan Nagaiah, MBBS. Mohammed Almubarak, MD. Mudussara Khan, MD. Ramin Altaha, MD. Cerebrospinal fluid leak during treatment with bevacizumab and irinotecan after carmustine impregnated wafers placement in patients with grade 2 oligodendroglioma and glioblastoma multiforme: Report of two cases and review of literature. Cancer Investigation. 2010 Dec;28(10):1048-53. Epub 2010 Sep 27.
16. Almubarak Mohammed, Osman Salman, Marano Gary, Abraham Jame. Role of positron-emission tomography scan in the diagnosis and management of breast cancer. Oncology (Williston Park). 2009 Mar; 23(3):255-61.
17. Almubarak Mohammed, Newton Michael, Altaha Ramin. Reinduction of bevacizumab in combination with pegylated liposomal Doxorubicin in a patient with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme who progressed on bevacizumab / irinotecan. Journal of Oncology; 2008:942618. Epub 2008 Sep 2.
18. Vinjamuri Mridula, Craig Michael, Campbell-Fontaine Annette, Almubarak Mohammed, Gupta Naresh, Rogers John S. Can positron emission tomography be used as a staging tool for small-cell lung cancer? Clinical Lung Cancer. 2008 Jan; 9(1):30-4.
- BRAVO award winner May 2015. Top three percentile provider for inpatient care based on Press Ganey Survey.
- Recognition by Department of Medicine chair for contributions made in areas aside from clinical productivity, research and education in October 2010.
- Hematology/ Oncology Fellow of the year 2009
- Team player Resident of the year 2005
1. American College of Physician (ACP-ASIM)- Former
2. American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
3. West Virginia Oncology Society (WVOS)
4. American Medical Association (AMA)
Grants and Research
Current Research Projects/Clinical Protocols:
1. Circulating tumor cells as surrogate biomarker to predict cancer patient outcome. Collabration with: Jun Liu, M.D.,Ph.D.
2. Quality Oncology Practice Intiative (QOPI) by American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Role: Corresponding physician/ QOPI Administrator for the Mary Babb Randolph cancer center (responsible for the oversight of data collection). IRB approved protocol. Participated in Spring 2010, Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Spring, Fall 2012, Spring 2013 and Spring 2014 collection sessions. Received QOPI certification in 2015. Participated in 2016 Spring period collection.
3. Quality improvement study involving lung cancer patients treated at WVU Hospitals/Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center. (MBRCC) The intention of this study is to track patterns among advanced lung cancer patients, with a special focus made on their end- of- life (EOL) management, and hospice referrals, up to their date of death. Supervising a resident: Shamsher Ali.
4. D1532C00079 - A Phase III, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Selumetinib (AZD6244; ARRY-142886) d-Sulfate) in Combination with Docetaxel, in Patients receiving second e treatment for KRAS Mutation-Positive Locally Advanced or Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (Stage IIIB – IV) (SELECT-1). Role: Principal Investigator.
5. E5508 -Randomized Ph III Study of Maint Therapy with Bevacizumab, Pemetrexed, or a Combination of Bevacizumab and Pemetrexed Following Carboplatin, Paclitaxel and Bevacizumab for Advanced Non-Squamous NSCLC. Role: Principal Investigator.
6. CALGB30607 - Randomized, Ph III, DBlind Placebo-Controlled of Sunitinib as MaintTherapy in Non-Prog Pts Following 4 Cy Platinum-Based Comb Chemo in AdvStage IIIB/IV NSCLC. Role: Principal Investigator.
7. CA184156 - Randomized, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Phase 3 Trial Comparing Efficacy of Ipilimumab plus Etoposide/Platinum versus Etoposide/Platinum in Subjects with Newly Diagnosed Extensive-Stage Disease Small Cell Lung Cancer. Role: Principal Investigator.
8. CALGB30801 - A Randomized Phase III Double Blind Trial Evaluating Selective COX-2 Inhibition in COX-2 Expressing Advanced NSCLC. Role: Principal Investigator.
9. WVU21011 –“1% Topical pimecrolimus cream for the prevention of the rash associated with ERBITUX. IRB approval pending. Role: Principal Investigator.
10. L1Y-MC-JFBF - A Phase 2 Indication Identification Study of LY2523355 in Patients with Ovarian, Non-Small Cell Lung, Prostate, Colorectal, Gastroesophageal Cancers, and Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. IRB approved. Study Closed . Role: Principal Investigator.
11. Pilot Study of Fosbretabulin with Bevacizumab in Recurrent High-Grade Gliomas. Investigator intiated clinical protocol. Position: Study Chair. Sponsor: Oxigene Inc.
12. PNH Subject Registry: Paroxsymal Nocturnal Hemoglobinura (PNH) Subject Registry. Role: Principal Investigator.
13. CINC424B2301 - Randomized, open label, multicenter phase III study of Efficacy and Safety in Polycythemia vera subjects who are resistant to or intolerant of hydroxyurea: JAK inhibitor INC424 tablets versus best available care (The RESPONSE Trial). Role: Principal Investigator.
14. Investigator initiated protocol using eniluracil for prevention of hand foot syndrome. Positions: Co-investigator. IRB approved protocol. Mentor: William Petros Pharm D. Sponsor: Adherex. Protocol closed due to poor accrual.
15. Co-investigator for an approved CIBMTR study (Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research); (Study #GV08-02) for the role of CD3+, CD4+, CD8 + cell dose in acute GVHD.
Patient Care Information
- Cancer / Oncology
- Hematology/Oncology (Cancer)
- Medical Oncology (Cancer)
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Hematology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine
WVU Department of Medicine, 2009
Residency, Internal Medicine
WVU Department of Medicine