PO Box 9226
W.V.U. School of Medicine
Department of Physical Therapy
One Medical Center Drive
- Curriculum Vitae
- Download CV
- PhD, Health Related Sciences, Physical Therapy track, MCV Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, 2006
- MPH, WVU Department of Community Medicine, 1998
- BS, Physical Therapy, West Virginia University, 1989
About Ralph R. Utzman
Dr. Utzman joined the faculty in 1995 as Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education. He teaches in the areas of professional roles, including ethics, clinical administration, documentation and reimbursement, and health policy. He is a past recipient of the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Education. He has been a trainer for the APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program since 1998. His interest areas include rural health and inter-professional education.
- Burt AL, Utzman RR, Evans KW, Baugh G. Community-based Interprofessional Education Fall Prevention Project. Poster presented at American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference and Exposition, Chicago, IL; April 7-10, 2016.
- Narsavage GL, Utzman RR, White T, Coole C. Inter-Professional Education (IPE) using active-learning methods and TeamSTEPPS knowledge. Poster presented at National Academies of Practice Annual Meeting & Forum, Baltimore, MD; April 8-9, 2016.
- Utzman RR, Mancinelli CM, Rice TE. Validity of the Berg Balance Scale to Predict Falls in Individuals with Peripheral Vestibular Dysfunction. Poster presented at APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Anaheim, CA; February 17-20, 2016.
- Utzman RR, Baugh G, Burt AL. Interprofessional Education and Fall Prevention in Rural Communities. Poster presented at WV Rural Health Conference, October 14, 2015.
- Baugh G, Burt AL, Utzman RR, Evans KW. Promoting Interprofessional Education through a Fall Prevention IPPE Activity. Poster presentation at American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy meeting, National Harbor, MD; June 12-13, 2015.
- Narsavage GL, Abraham RA, Cottrell S, Burt AL, Coole C, DeBiase C, Stamatakis MK, Utzman RR, Wilks D. Train the Trainer Approach to IPE Faculty Development in Appalachia. MedEd Portal iCollaborative (online). https://www.mededportal.org/icollaborative/resource/3982; May 4, 2015.
- Utzman RR, Erickson ML, Bower E, Geary L, Kimble L. Factors influencing the decision of physical therapist students to practice in rural Appalachia. Platform presentation at APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Indianapolis, IN; February 5, 2015.
- Rice TA, Mancinelli C, Utzman RR, Wetmore S. Reliability of the numeric dizziness scale. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy web site. Available at: http://journals.lww.com/jnpt/Documents/NeurologyPosterAbstracts_CSM_2014.pdf. Last accessed 10/31/2015.
- Utzman RR, Cronin A. Prevention and wellness. In: Cronin A, Mandich MB. Human Performance Throughout the Lifespan (2nd ed). Thompson/Delmar Learning. 2015.
- Erickson ML, Utzman RR, McKnight R. Physical Therapy Documentation: From Examination to Outcome (2nd ed). SLACK, Inc., 2013.
- Mancinelli CM, Mandich MB, Utzman RR. Physical therapy approach to falls in adults with visual impairments. Insight: Research and Practice in Visual Impairment and Blindness. 2011;4(3):124-32.
- Riddle DL, Utzman RR, Jewel DV, Pearson S. Academic difficulty and program level variables predict performance on the National Physical Therapy Licensure Examination - a population-based cohort study. Phys Ther. 2009;89:1182-1191.
- Utzman RR, Riddle DL, Jewell DV. Use of demographic and quantitative admissions data to predict academic difficulty among professional physical therapist students. Phys Ther. 2007;87:1164-1180.
- Utzman RR, Riddle DL, Jewell DV. Use of demographic and quantitative admissions data to predict performance on the National Physical Therapy Examination. Phys Ther. 2007;87;1181-1193.
Teaching: (*Course Coordinator)
- *PT 711: Professional Roles 1
- *PT 730: Clinical Education Symposium 1
- PT 741: Professional Roles 2
- *PT 760: Clinical Education 3
- *PT 761: Professional Roles 3
- *PT 762: Health Care Issues in PT
UHA/Therapy Group Practice
For the last decade, Dr. Utzman’s clinical practice has focused on patients with balance and mobility impairments related to movement disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease, and dizziness/vestibular disorders.
- DPT Admissions Committee co-chair
- WVU Faculty Senate
- WVU Health Sciences Center Inter-professional Education Steering Committee
- American Physical Therapy Association - Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program Advisory Workgroup, 2015-2018 (Chair, 2016-2017)
- West Virginia Physical Therapy Association – Chief Delegate for WV delegation to the APTA House of Delegates, 2016-2017
- American Council Academic Physical Therapy - Task Panel on Student Readiness
- APTA Section on Health Policy and Administration – Nominating Committee, 2016-2019