- West Virginia University School of Medicine
Surgeon-in-Chief & Director of Clinical Services
- West Virginia University WVU Cancer Institute
- WVU Cancer Institute Clinics
- Clinical Faculty
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Medical Education
- Clinical Faculty
Program 2: Breast Cancer
- MD, West Virginia University School of Medicine, 2001
- BS, Dickinson College, 1996
- BA, Dickinson College, 1996
Combination of Eribulin and Aurora A inhibitor MLN8237 prevents metastatic colonization and induces cytotoxic autophagy in breast cancer.
Kozyreva VK, Kiseleva A, Ice RJ, Jones BC, Loskutov YV, Matalkah F, Smolkin MB, Marinak K, Livengood RH, Salkeni MA, Wen S, Hazard HW, Layne GP, Walsh CM, Cantrell PS, Kilby GW, Mahavadi S, Shah N, Pugacheva EN.
Mol Cancer Ther. 2016; 15(8): 1809-1822.
Pancreatectomy in patients with impaired renal function: how risky is it?
Feyko J, Hazard HW, Cardinal JS, Thomay A, Cho SW.
Am Surg. 2016; 82(1): 16-21.
Health behaviors among breast cancer patients and survivors.
Kelly KM, Bhattacharya R, Dickinson SL, Hazard HW.
Cancer Nurs. 2015; 38(3): E27-E34.
Detection of axillary lymph node metastases and extra-axillary metastases with FDG PET/CT in breast cancer patients scheduled for neoadjuvant chemotherapy.
Jacobson GM, Marano GD, Hazard HW, Abraham J.
Pract Radiat Oncol. 2013;3(2 Suppl 1):S24-S25.
Do we glow? Evaluation of trauma team work habits and radiation exposure.
Hassan M, Patil A, Channel J, Khan F, Knight J, Loos M, Hazard HW, Schaefer G, Wilson A.
J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012;73(3):605-611.
Initial clinical test of a breast-PET scanner.
Raylman RR, Abraham J, Hazard HW, Koren C, Filburn S, Schreiman JS, Kurian S, Majewski S, Marano GD.
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2011;55(1):58-64.
Role of obesity and exercise in breast cancer survivors.
Nagaiah G, Hazard HW, Abraham J.
Oncology (Williston.Park). 2010;24(4):342-346.
Clinically specialize in the benign and malignant disease of the breast. This includes state of the art operative approaches including intraoperative radiation for ideally selected, early state breast cancer, nipple-sparing mastectomies done in combination with the Reconstructive Surgeons. Care also includes the management of patients at high risk of getting breast cancer either through hereditary means or due to biopsy results. Works closely with the Clinical Trial Team to identify and enroll women in studies that give them the state of the are care in breast cancer treatment.
About Hannah W. Hazard
- Vyas A, Madhavan S, Sambamoorthi U, Pan X, Regier M, Hazard H: “Association Between Persistent Annual to Biennial Mammography Screening and Stage at Diagnosis Among Elderly Women with Breast Cancer” – June 3, 2014 ISPOR International Meeting; Montreal, Canada
- Hazard H, Cottrell S, Paternostro M, Wamsley L, Ferrari N: “Holistic Review, Audience Response System and Medical School Admissions Process at West Virginia University School of Medicine” – Learn Serve Lead 2014: The AAMC Annual Meeting, Proposal ID 2066211, November 8-9, 2014
- Vyas A, Madhavan SS, Sambamoorthi U, Pan X, Regier M, Hazard H “Differences in the Total Healthcare Costs During the Year of Diagnosis Between Appalachian and A National Cohort of Elderly Women with Breast Cancer: An Application of Decomposition Technique” –Abstract # 55468, Presented May 20, 2015
- LeMasters RJ, Madhavan SS, Sambamoorthi U, Kelly K, Hazard H, Long D “Determinants for Guideline Appropriate Care among Elderly Women with Stage I-II Breast Cancer in a SEER-Medicare Population” –Abstract # 56669, Presented May 19th, 2015
- LeMasters TJ, Madhavan SS, Sambamoorthi U, Kelly K, Hazard H, Long D “Variations in Primary Treatment Among Elderly Women with Early Stage Breast Cancer: Associations with Factors Related to Old Age and Vulnerable Socio-Demographics” – Abstract # 56642, Presented May 19th, 2015
- Vyas A, Madhavan SS, Sambamoorthi U, Pan X, Regier M, Hazard H “Timeliness of Care Among Elderly Women with Breast Cancer” ASCO 2015; Abstract 146149
- L Vona-Davis, D Rose, V Gadiyaram, B Ducatman, G Hobbs, H Hazard, S Kurian, J Abraham “Breast Cancer Pathology, Receptor Status, and Patterns of Metastasis in a Rural Appalachian Population” Journal of Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 2014, Article ID 170634, 9 pages, 2014. Doi:10.1155/2014/170634
- Jacobson GM, Marano G, Hazard H, Abraham J: “Detection of Axillary Lymph Node Metastases and Extra-Axillary Metastases with FDG PET/CT in Breast Cancer Patients Scheduled for Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy” Pract Radiation Oncology, Vol 3 (Suppl 1), S24-5, April-June 2013.
- Kelly, KM, Bhattacharya R, Dickinson S, Hazard H: “Health Behaviors Among Breast Cancer Patients and Survivors” Cancer Nursing. 2015 May-June;38(3): E27-34
- Bailey, A, Layne G, Shahan C, Zhang J, Wen S, Radis, S, Richmond B, Partin J, Hazard H “Comparison between Ultrasound and Pathologic Status of Axillary Lymph Nodes in Clinically Node-negative Breast Cancer Patients” American Surgery. 2015 Sep;81 (9):865-9.
- Feyko J, Hazard H, et al “Pancreatectomy in Patients with Impaired Renal Function: How Risky Is It?” American Surgery,. 2016 Jan;82(1):16-21.
- Kozyreva VK, Kiseleva AA, Ice RJ, Jones BC, Loskutov YV, Matalkah F, Smolkin MB, Marinak K, Livengood RH, Salkeni MA, Wen S, Hazard HW, Layne GP, Walsh CM, Cantrell PS, Kilby GW, Mahavadi S, Shah N, Pugacheva EN. “Combination of Eribulin and Aurora A inhibitor MLN8237 prevents metastatic colonization and induces cytotoxic autophagy in breast cancer” Mol Cancer Ther. 2016 Aug;15(8):1809-22
- Alwhaibi, M, et al, “Cancer Prevention and Control: Breast Cancer Survivors’ Perception”, Submitted for publication Behavioral Medicine September 2015
- LeMaster, T, et al “Receipt of Guideline-Concordant Care among Older Women with Stage I-III Breast Cancer in a SEER-Medicare Population” Submitted to Journal of Clinical Oncology September 2015
- LeMaster, T et al “Receipt of Guideline-Concordant Care among Older Women with Stage I-III Breast Cancer in a SEER-Medicare Population” Submitted to Cancer September 2015
- A Vyas, S Madhavan, U Sambamoorthi, X Pan, M Regier, H Hazard, S Kalidindi: “Healthcare Utilitzation and Costs during the Initial Phase of Care among Elderly Women with Breast Cancer”; Cancer, Manuscript ID CNCR-16-0708; Submitted April 9, 2016
- H Hazard: “Surgical Management of Stage 4 Disease” Surgical Management of the Breast. Editors: Adam Riker, MD and Barbara Krueger, MD – 2014
- B Curley, H Hazard, G Jacobson, J Abraham: Breast Cancer”, Chapter 12 The Bethesda Handbook of Clinical Oncology, 4th Edition – published January, 2014
- U Khan, H Hazard: “Central Venous Access Device”, Chapter 41 The Bethesda Handbook of Clinical Oncology, 4th Edition – published January 2014
- H Hazard: “Operative Management of Metastatic Breast Cancer”, Chapter 16 Breast Diseases, Comprehensive Management, Editor – Adam I. Riker – published 2015
- “Over-diagnosis of Breast Cancer”, The Future of Breast Care Symposium, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, WV, March 1, 2014
- “Survivorship Planning: Special Considerations for Women of Color” Women of Color and Breast Cancer Conference, Stonewall WV, March 11, 2014
- “Genetics of Breast Cancer” West Virginia State Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, Spring Meeting, White Sulphur Springs, May 1 2014
- “Circulating Tumor Cells in Breast Cancer” The 2nd Annual Future of Breast Care Symposium, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston WV February 28th, 2015
- “Pro-Prophy: The Good of Prophylactic Mastectomy” 66th Annual West Virginia Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, Spring Meeting, White Sulphur Springs, May 14, 2015
- “Intraoperative Radiation Therapy and Breast Cancer” 68th Annual West Virginia Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, Spring Meeting, White Sulphur Springs, May 13, 2017
Interested in outcomes based research as it relates to our patient population. Also involved in two basic science research studies; the first looking at the role of a specific inhibitor in metastatic cancer growth and the second in cachexia in breast cancer patients.
Patient Care Information
- Cancer / Oncology
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Fellowship, Breast Diseases
Northwestern University, 2007
Residency, General Surgery
West Virginia University, 2006