PO Box 9226
Morgantown, WV 26506
Professor and Director of Professional EducationFaculty
- EdD, Educational Psychology and Educational Leadership, West Virginia University, 2006
- BS, Physical Therapy, West Virginia University, 1988
- MS, Masters in Statistics, West Virginia University, 2002
Narrative: Dr. Davis is Professor and Director of Professional Education in the Division of Physical Therapy. He joined the WVU Physical Therapy faculty in 1998. He is a Board Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist with 25 years of clinical experience. Dr. Davis teaches orthopedics, manual therapy, physical therapy evaluation, therapeutic exercise, statistics, research methods, and gross anatomy. Dr. Davis' research agenda is focused primarily on developing evaluation and treatments for non-acute (stage II and III) low back pain. He also has an interest in research questions related to teaching and learning orthopedic physical therapy. He also has a long-standing interest in sports medicine/athletic performance enhancement in adults and children. He practices in the WVU Therapy Group Practice (University Health Associates) a few hours per week. Dr. Davis is very active in a number of service activities at the National, University, and Division levels.
Teaching Responsibilities (65% Effort): * Course Coordinator/Primary Instructor
- *PT 746, Orthopedic Physical Therapy I
- *PT 756, Orthopedic Physical Therapy II
- PT 706, Advanced Anatomy (Gross)
- PT 718, Evaluation Procedures
- *PT 725, Evidence Based PT II (Statistics)
- *PT 738, Physical Therapy Procedures II (Therapeutic Exercise)
- *PT 745, Evidence Based PT III (Research Proposal)
Dr. Davis has been nominated for the West Virginia School of Medicine Distinguished Teaching Award seven times: (2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2011)
Scholarship Responsibilities (5% Effort):Representative Scholarship: CDC/NIOSH funded ($79,939.00) research project which examined variables associated with level of disability in individuals with non-acute occupationally related lower back pain.
- Davis DS, Mancinelli CA, Petronis JJ, Bensenhaver C, Nelson G, McClintic T. Variables Associated with Level of Disability in Working Individuals with Non-acute Low Back Pain: A Cross-Sectional Investigation. J Ortho Sports Phys Ther. 2013;43:97-104.
- Swearingen J, Lawrence E, Stevens J, Jackson C, Waggy C, Davis, DS. Correlation of Single Leg Vertical jump, single leg hop for distance, and single leg hop for time. Phys Ther Sport. 2011;12(4):194-198.
- Covert CA, Alexander MP, Petronis JJ, Davis DS. Comparison of Ballistic and Static Stretching on Hamstring Muscle Length using an Equal Stretching Dose. J Strength Cond Res2010;24:3008-3014
- Davis DS. Teaching professionalism: A survey of physical therapy educators. J Allied Health. 2009;17:74-80.
- Davis DS, Anderson IB, Carson MG, Elkins CL, Stuckey LB. Upper limb neural tension and seated slump tests: The false positive rate among healthy young adults without cervical or lumbar symptoms. J Man Manip Ther. 2008;16:136-141.
- Davis DS, Quinn RO, Whiteman CT, Williams JD, Young CR. Concurrent validity of four clinical tests used to measure hamstring flexibility. J Strength Cond Res.2008;22:583-588.
- Davis DS, Bosley EE, Gronell LC, Keeney SA, Rossetti AM, Mancinelli CA, Petronis JJ. The relationship of body segment length and vertical jump displacement in recreational athletes. J. Strength Cond. Res. 2006; 20: 136-140.
- Mancinelli CA, Davis DS, Aboulhosn L, Brady M, Eisenhofer J, Foutty S. The effects of massage on delayed onset muscle soreness and physical performance in female collegiate athletes. Phys. Ther. Sport. 2006; 7: 5-13.
- Haff GG, Cramer JT, Beck TW, Egan AD, Davis DS, McBride J, & Wathen D. Round Table Discussion: Flexibility Training. Strength Cond. J., 2006; 28: 64-85.
- Davis DS, Ashby P, McCale K, McQuain J, Wine J. The effectiveness of 3 stretching techniques on hamstring flexibility using consistent stretching parameters. J. Strength Cond. Res. 2005;19:27-32.
- Davis DS, Barnette BJ, Kiger JT, Mirasola JJ, Young SM. Physical characteristics that predict functional performance in division I college football players. J. Strength Cond. Res. 2004;18:115-120
- Davis DS, Briscoe DA, Markowski CT, Saville SE, Taylor CJ. Physical characteristics that predict vertical jump performance in recreational male athletes. Phys. Ther. Sport. 2003;4:167-174.
- Davis DS, Post WR. Segond fracture: lateral capsular ligament avulsion. J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 1997;25:103-106.
Dissertation: Davis, D.S. (2006). Learning and Developing Professional Behaviors as Part of an Entry-level Physical Therapy Education: A Survey of Students and Practicing Clinicians, Dissertation, West Virginia University.
Book Chapters: Mancinelli CA & Davis DS. Range of Motion and Stretching. IN Huber FE & Wells CL. Therapeutic Exercise: Treatment Planning for Progression. Elsevier, St Louis, 2006.
Service Responsibilities (5% Effort): National
- Chair Research Committee, Orthopedic Section APTA, 2013-2016
- West Virginia Delegate to the APTA House of Delegates, 2013-2014
- Chair Nominating Committee, Education Section of APTA, 2012-2013
- Member Nominating Committee, Education Section APTA, 2010-2012
- Chair, Awards Committee, American Physical Therapy Association. 2010-2011
- Member Awards Committee, American Physical Therapy Association. 2008-Present
- Grant Review Committee for Clinical Research Network (CRN) Grant for Orthopaedic Section, APTA, $300,000 budget. 2011-2012
- Member Public Relations Committee, Orthopaedic Section APTA, 2008-2010
- Grant Review Committee: Orthopedic Section, American Physical Therapy Association, 2008-2009
- Expert witness for over 20 orthopedic related malpractice cases, 1998- Present
- Manuscript reviewer for several peer reviewed journals:
- Physical Therapy Journal
- Journal Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy
- Physical Therapy in Sport
- Journal of Sports Science and Medicine
- Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport
- Physiotherapy Theory and Practice
- Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, Rehabilitation, Therapy & Technology
- Journal of Allied Health
- International Journal Sports Medicine
- WVU Faculty Senate: Two-Term Senator 2007-2010, 2011-2013
- Chair WVU Student Rights and Responsibilities Committee, 2011-2012
- Member WVU Student Rights and Responsibilities Committee, 2008- 2011
Health Science Center and School of Medicine:
- Member HSC Faculty Advisory Council (FAC) to the Chancellor of Health Sciences, 2010-Present
- Chairperson Faculty Advisory Council Chancellor’s Awards Committee, 2012-2013
- SOM Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2010
- • Chair Division of Physical Therapy Budget Committee, 2010-Present
• Member Division of Physical Therapy Curriculum Committee, 2000 - Present
• Division of Physical Therapy Admissions Committee: Member, 2001-2009
• Division of Physical Therapy Academic and Professional Standards Committee, 2003-2009
• Provides Physical Therapy patient care through WVU Therapy Group Practice (~200 hours/yr)
Administrative Responsibilities (25% Effort): Director of Professional Education
- Oversight of CAPTE accreditation
- Oversight of alumni and development activities
- Oversight of marketing and recruitment activities
- Oversight of program assessment
Clinic Phone Number
American Board of Physical Therapy SpecialtiesOrthopedic Clinical Specialist
- Back pain (non-surg)